Nuchal translucency — The Bump
January 2018 Moms

Nuchal translucency

I didnt do the nuchal screening in my first pregnancy.  I didnt see any real benefit.  I am now 10 weeks pregnant and at the point where I am supposed to have the screening.  Can someone tell me, if something is found to be wrong....is there anything that can be done during the pregnancy to help the outcome?? My Dr seemed to imply that if there was a problem then there are things you can do to help.  Otherwise I dont see the point. 

Re: Nuchal translucency

• It can prepare you, if you're dealing with chromosomal disorders. For example, babies with Downs sometimes have heart defects, and need immediate surgery after birth. If you have a baby with Downs, you might get additional screening prior to birth to look for heart defects.

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

Eagskelk5
  • Loading the player...
  • I learned today at my ultrasound that if there is excess fluid and the chromosomal testing all looks good, the NT measurement can also indicate a heart defect.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
    kelk5
  • BelhurstBrideBelhurstBride
    Long-Lasting Membership 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    For my husband and I, we opted to do the testing so, if necessary, we could make arrangements that the proper professionals were present for the birth. 

There isn't anything that can be done to prevent a chromosomal disorder, though some have devastating outcomes if baby even survives to birth. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My daughter had a chromosomal disorder and heart defect. There was an experimental procedure they could do in utero at Boston children's to help correct her defect which would be incurable should she be born with it. You can only do it up to a certain week's gestation, so the earlier you find out, the more time you have to research and decide and get the procedure if you decide. Unfortunately she didn't qualify, but that is one example, though extreme. This is something that should be found at the anatomy scan (but isn't always) and you would still have time to pursue treatment at the point, but I guess the more and earlier screenings you have, the more chance to catch something or at least know to watch out for them.