June 2016 Moms

UO Thursday 6/22

Do we do UO Thursdays in this group anymore? I may get flamed for this one but I just have to say it...

You know when you're telling another mom about what's going on with your LO, like a clingy stage or waking up at night, and you go back and forth comparing notes on your LO and hers?

Well I think it's weird when I find myself in a convo like this, except my friend is talking about her cat. And not a quick, "oh, i'm being woken up at night too, haha", but a detailed, serious, "I know how you feel, Jack (male cat) loves me so much he insists on sleeping next to me, and if Jill (female cat) tries to jump up on the bed, Jack pushes her off in jealousy, and I get woken up with all the commotion. So I'm trying to make peace between them now but it's a struggle and I don't know what to do...."

At this point I usually stop talking and just listen because I feel like we've entered crazy land lol.

I do like animals, and I'd be really sympathetic if she weren't able to have children or something, but that's not the case... I just can't!

Re: UO Thursday 6/22

• Lizbeth86 said:
    Do we do UO Thursdays in this group anymore? I may get flamed for this one but I just have to say it...

You know when you're telling another mom about what's going on with your LO, like a clingy stage or waking up at night, and you go back and forth comparing notes on your LO and hers?

Well I think it's weird when I find myself in a convo like this, except my friend is talking about her cat. And not a quick, "oh, i'm being woken up at night too, haha", but a detailed, serious, "I know how you feel, Jack (male cat) loves me so much he insists on sleeping next to me, and if Jill (female cat) tries to jump up on the bed, Jack pushes her off in jealousy, and I get woken up with all the commotion. So I'm trying to make peace between them now but it's a struggle and I don't know what to do...."

At this point I usually stop talking and just listen because I feel like we've entered crazy land lol.

I do like animals, and I'd be really sympathetic if she weren't able to have children or something, but that's not the case... I just can't!
    I think UO kinda got lumped into FFFC or something, I dunno. 

I'm one of those folks that thinks it's odd when people treat their pets like their children but I've adopted the mindset of "you do you" when it comes to that since I'd be constantly annoyed otherwise. I do my best not to give the side-eye when friends interject their pet-woes during child-centric discussions. It's their way of trying to connect and be understanding of what's going on in our lives even if the closest comparison is their pet. I still think it's weird tho...
  • Loading the player...
  • Lizbeth86 said:

I think UO kinda got lumped into FFFC or something, I dunno. 

I'm one of those folks that thinks it's odd when people treat their pets like their children but I've adopted the mindset of "you do you" when it comes to that since I'd be constantly annoyed otherwise. I do my best not to give the side-eye when friends interject their pet-woes during child-centric discussions. It's their way of trying to connect and be understanding of what's going on in our lives even if the closest comparison is their pet. I still think it's weird tho...
    I thought I treated "my boys" (two male dogs) like children until I actually had a child and realized that I don't.

The people who feed them only homemade food and put them in doggy strollers? MAJOR eye roll
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Here's a nice one: flip-flops are the worst. They're worse for your feet then walking barefoot, they're clumsy, they're loud, and they always get super dirty because people just throw them off and on. I own a single pair of flip flops that I wore for the reception at my sister's wedding because she gave them to us as bridesmaid gifts, haven't worn them since that day almost 2 years ago.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Here's a nice one: flip-flops are the worst. They're worse for your feet then walking barefoot, they're clumsy, they're loud, and they always get super dirty because people just throw them off and on. I own a single pair of flip flops that I wore for the reception at my sister's wedding because she gave them to us as bridesmaid gifts, haven't worn them since that day almost 2 years ago.
    Haha! I like flip flops because my feet sweat like crazy and it's the closest I can get to having nothing touching my feet. They're also easy on my bunions, argh but I need supportive flip flops. I agree with the dirty part, I have to scrub my feet when I get home.

I remember my friends from Italy visiting and being appalled that women here would wear flip flops with a dressy outfit to go out for the evening.
  • I looooove flip flops! I live in my rainbows over the summer
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited June 2017
    People who take their dogs everywhere. I work in a resteraunt and people haul their dogs in ALL the time!!! So gross. We can't say anything because, you know, everyone is offended by everything these days. It also pisses me off  when I see dogs in grocery stores, like sorry not sorry I don't want your dog sniffing my produce! (Btw I love animals and am of course excluding ACTUAL service dogs from my rant)
  • AmberLiz99AmberLiz99 member
    edited June 2017
    I don't think manicures are that relaxing. For special occasion they are fun, and I like them and all, but I can take care of my nails myself, and If I'm going to spend that much time and money on something for me, it's going to be something else. I'd rather go shopping, out to lunch, or a movie or play. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • meggyme said:
    Tawny87 said:
    People who take their dogs everywhere. I work in a resteraunt and people haul their dogs in ALL the time!!! So gross. We can't say anything because, you know, everyone is offended by everything these days. It also pisses me off  when I see dogs in grocery stores, like sorry not sorry I don't want your dog sniffing my produce! (Btw I love animals and am of course excluding ACTUAL service dogs from my rant)
    Yes! I hate it when people register their pets as emotional support animals just to be able to take them places with them. There was almost a dog fight in front of me in the DMV lobby one time. It takes away from people who really need them.
     My FIL dog is registered for that for that very reason.  He just wants to be able to take her anywhere.  However he made sure to have her professionally trained and she's a border collie so she learned quick.  He also doesn't take her to places that he doesn't visit regularly and at least introduced himself and her to management.