Lowish amniotic fluid. Anyone able to increase this by drinking more fluid? — The Bump
3rd Trimester

Lowish amniotic fluid. Anyone able to increase this by drinking more fluid?

Adoc86Adoc86
Second Anniversary 25 Love Its 10 Comments Name Dropper
edited June 2017 in 3rd Trimester

I had my 34 week growth U/S yesterday and everything looked good, but the ultrasound tech told me that while the amniotic fluid is still in the safe zone, its on the low side of it. She told me to drink lots of water and that it should increase. Afterward I spoke to my doctor and he said he wanted me to come back next week for another scan just to monitor if it had changed, but meanwhile to guzzle fluids. That low fluid is often due to dehydration (unless I felt that I had been leaking, which I don't).

I know I probably haven't been drinking enough. I have had HORRENDOUS GERD/acid reflux since the beginning of my second trimester. At this point I pretty much associate all food and drink with feeling completely awful. I force myself to eat because I know I have to, but literally anything I ingest makes me absolutely miserable. The acid causes me to throw up (which obviously isn't helping with hydration) and gives me a chronic cough which has lead to incontinence and literally keeps me up all night. I haven't been consciously avoiding fluids, but I know I probably haven't reached for my water as often as I should. Don't get me wrong, I have still been drinking lol and at my last scan the fluid was fine, but lately the temperature has gotten into the high 90s where I live so I think that may have put me over the edge a little.

Anyway, has anyone been able to increase their amniotic fluid just by significantly increasing their fluid intake? I was told that if its not increased next week that I will have to go back every week for an U/S until delivery.

Me: 30 DH:30
No kids yet
DH: Diagnosed with Testicular Cancer in 12/15 resulting in right orchiectomy &one round of BEP chemo. Banked sperm prior to treatment. Not enough in storage to risk on IUI so encouraged to go right to IVF w/ICSI.
Together since 2001. Married 10/2013
10/24/16 - Began stims (menopur & gonal f) for 1st round of IVF on high responder antagonist protocol.
11/5/16 - Lupron trigger.
11/7/16 - 13 eggs retrieved; 8 mature; 5 fertilized
11/12/16 - 5 day ET of 1 hatching embryo
Beta scheduled for 11/28!

11/21 BFP!

Due July 31

Re: Lowish amniotic fluid. Anyone able to increase this by drinking more fluid?

• Adoc86 said:k

I had my 34 week growth U/S yesterday and everything looked good, but the ultrasound tech told me that while the amniotic fluid is still in the safe zone, its on the low side of it. She told me to drink lots of water and that it should increase. Afterward I spoke to my doctor and he said he wanted me to come back next week for another scan just to monitor if it had changed, but meanwhile to guzzle fluids. That low fluid is often due to dehydration (unless I felt that I had been leaking, which I don't).

I know I probably haven't been drinking enough. I have had HORRENDOUS GERD/acid reflux since the beginning of my second trimester. At this point I pretty much associate all food and drink with feeling completely awful. I force myself to eat because I know I have to, but literally anything I ingest makes me absolutely miserable. The acid causes me to throw up (which obviously isn't helping with hydration) and gives me a chronic cough which has lead to incontinence and literally keeps me up all night. I haven't been consciously avoiding fluids, but I know I probably haven't reached for my water as often as I should. Don't get me wrong, I have still been drinking lol and at my last scan the fluid was fine, but lately the temperature has gotten into the high 90s where I live so I think that may have put me over the edge a little.

Anyway, has anyone been able to increase their amniotic fluid just by significantly increasing their fluid intake? I was told that if its not increased next week that I will have to go back every week for an U/S until delivery.

Not being a jerk, but obviously your medical team would not be telling you to drink more fluids if they did not believe it will help with the amniotic fluids.  It's important you follow their instructions, especially with the hot weather.

Hopefully they know about your reflux and GERD, and your medical team is working with you on that, you are on meds, or a plan of action with your docror about that too.

My doctor always told me that fluid intake is important to maintain appropriate levels, so I made an effort to drink extra fluids.  
  • Adoc86Adoc86
    Second Anniversary 25 Love Its 10 Comments Name Dropper
    edited June 2017

LOL yes, I understand. I was just curious if others had experienced it themselves and if increasing fluid intake was enough to get them to the point of it not being an issue for the duration of pregnancy. Sometimes its nice to talk to other pregnant women about these things and to hear first person experiences rather than just talking to a doctor, hence the forum ;-) I never stated I was disputing or planned to ignore their instructions. I will waterboard myself and deal with the consequences if it means a healthy, full term baby.

My GERD & reflux has been such an issue and medication is not really an option. I have a condition that prohibits me from taking proton pump inhibitors. Consensus is that it doesn't make sense to take PPIs to remedy reflux if it is going to exacerbate another problem that would likely result in permanent issues in the long run. I have tried to control it with my diet, but I'm at the point that the only things that don't trigger it are green vegetables, almonds and apples. Water is commonly known to be a terrible trigger for acid reflux.

Me: 30 DH:30
    No kids yet
    DH: Diagnosed with Testicular Cancer in 12/15 resulting in right orchiectomy &one round of BEP chemo. Banked sperm prior to treatment. Not enough in storage to risk on IUI so encouraged to go right to IVF w/ICSI.
    Together since 2001. Married 10/2013
    10/24/16 - Began stims (menopur & gonal f) for 1st round of IVF on high responder antagonist protocol.
    11/5/16 - Lupron trigger.
    11/7/16 - 13 eggs retrieved; 8 mature; 5 fertilized
    11/12/16 - 5 day ET of 1 hatching embryo
    Beta scheduled for 11/28!

11/21 BFP!

Due July 31

• Adoc86 said:

LOL yes, I understand. I was just curious if others had experienced it themselves and if increasing fluid intake was enough to get them to the point of it not being an issue for the duration of pregnancy. Sometimes its nice to talk to other pregnant women about these things and to hear first person experiences rather than just talking to a doctor, hence the forum ;-) I never stated I was disputing or planned to ignore their instructions. I will waterboard myself and deal with the consequences if it means a healthy, full term baby.

My GERD & reflux has been such an issue and medication is not really an option. I have a condition that prohibits me from taking proton pump inhibitors. Consensus is that it doesn't make sense to take PPIs to remedy reflux if it is going to exacerbate another problem that would likely result in permanent issues in the long run. I have tried to control it with my diet, but I'm at the point that the only things that don't trigger it are green vegetables, almonds and apples. Water is commonly known to be a terrible trigger for acid reflux.

I'm sorry about your issues with the reflux/GERD that can not be fun at all.  :( 

Hang 8n there and wishing you the best