Pregnant after a Loss

First ultrasound?

Hi ladies, im popping over from Ttcal. I have a positive pregnancy test and im just wondering how to proceed. How soon did you all get ultrasounds after your BFP? Should you get an ultrasound asap? What is the point of early ultrasounds? Thanks in advance, im not ready to officially intro. 

Re: First ultrasound?

• Welcome and congrats!! I think, from what I've read on the boards, it really depends on your OB. After my loss, mine was all about getting me for bloodwork right away and an early u/s at 6 weeks vs. waiting until the standard 8-12 weeks. (We ended up having to go the IVF route so it was a moot point) I would call your doc and see what their policy is. You won't be able to see anything until about 5 weeks and heart beat is still iffy at 6 weeks (my RE waited until 7) but those early ones can show the fetal pole and make sure things like a blighted ovum aren't an issue. Good luck and hope to see your intro soon!
    *** TW**

Me: 37, DH:39
    Met: 2002 | Married: 2004 | TTC since January 2014
    July 2015: MMC @ 9 wks | August 2015: Chemical
    March, April, May & June 2016: Medicated IUIs | BFN 
    August 2016: Started Stims 8/22
    September 2016: Egg Retrieval 9/4 | 13 Mature Eggs | 10 Fertilized | 3 Blastocytes | 1 PGS Normal Embaby 
    November 7, 2016: FET - BFP!
    EDD 7/25/17
    Zoey Alexis born 7/25/17 @ 12:39 PM | 7lbs 14oz | 19 inches
  • My doctor does bloodwork first--then schedules an early 6-7 week ultrasound for dating purposes and to check the heartbeat.  So I would def. start with a call to your OB! Congrats and good luck!!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats and good luck!
  • Thanks for all the feedback! I called and im going for bloodwork tomorrow. Hopefully I will be joining your board soon. Good luck to all of you!
  • My doc doesn't do them til 8 weeks. I miscarried in march just before my 8 week scan and was sort of glad that I hadn't gone in and heard heartbeat and all that before hand, if that makes sense :/ (this pregnancy I've had 2 successful scans at 8 and 11 though :) 
  • I've had two miscarriages in the past year. The most recent was in February. I'm going to be nine weeks pregnant on Wednesday. I go tomorrow for my first ultrasound. I've been having the symptoms, morning sickness, sore breasts, hormonal. I'm extremely nervous about tomorrow. I've read on some of these sites about doctors finding issues in the ultrasound. It's hard not to think bad things. I've been relying on God, lots of prayers. Thanks
  • I switched docs between my last pregnancy and this one.

The old doc did not do an u/s before 12wks unless you were having spotting or other symptoms of concern. (They also didn't consider you increased risk until you had had 3 losses in a row.) 12wks was only offered if you were getting the special u/s that goes with the genetic screening. Otherwise, their standard of care was just the one at 20wks. 

My current doctor offers one to everyone at 8, 20, and 36 weeks and makes judgments about more based on your history. I ended up having them every other week until 16wks because of things in my pgal history, pcos, ama status, and DH's genetics, then an extra at 32wks b/c of something they saw on the standard one at 20wks. It was probably overkill, but helped my anxiety so much earlier on. Next pregnancy I will probably advocate for a few less.

Good luck!