November 2017 Moms
Options

Hands Hurting

I am 19 weeks today, and I woke up with my joints in my hands aching! I read where carpal tunnel is a possibility when pregnant..& I do work everyday on a computer for a long time. Has anyone else experienced their joints or bones aching? Thanks.

Re: Hands Hurting

• Options
    Yes I have. My knees have also been hurting a bit. Not sure if it's pregnancy or not but I have my hand some rest and it got better in a couple days. 
  • Options
    Not so much my hands but I'm for sure feeling it in my ankles and knees. Last pregnancy I was working as a cake decorator and my hands KILLED so maybe I just don't notice it as much now. I know there is specific wraps and splint type things you can use, but I would ask your doctor which is best
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    deeerfauxmdeeerfauxm member
    edited June 2017
    Sounds like CTS.  I had the release on my left wrist years ago, which helped so much, but could still feel nerves whacked out with my 2014 baby. I think more than the carpal tunnel nerve (forgetting which is which: ulnar, radial, median) can be affected by the swelling. I also have cubital tunnel syndrome (same type thing but affects different fingers that are connected to another nerve), so when I started swelling more in the heat of summer I would feel it all! Ice at elbows and wrists, counter stretching and nerve stretching are all things I did to help mine. Lots of breaks. Prepregnancy, I also used a B vitamin (3 or 6?) for promoting nerve health since some of my issues had other origins (not just repetitive tasks). I don't know if Tylenol would help much, but if you are able to watch your sodium vs water intake that might help with swelling that can be a factor in some mama's CTS. Good luck! 
  • Options
    @ugoglencoco That was a sympathy love tit. My ankles and knees have been randomly killing me too! No fun.
  • Options
    My knees have been locking up on me for weeks, as well as some hip pain that was caused by delivering my daughter is so much worse with this extra pressure. The relaxin loosens all our joints during pregnancy, which causes the pain. 
    **Bonnie**
    Married Sept 13, 2009
    TTC since Jan 2010
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS Oct 2010
    1500mg metformin
    SA 05/25/11 morphology @ 10%
    HSG 06/02/11, tubes were clear, uterine septum discovered
    06/30/11 Hysteroscopy, found a polyp blocking R fallopian tube
    07/20/11 Successful surgery to remove polyp and uterine septum!
    Sept/Oct cycle-Femara IUI turned into TI cycle= cancelled due to unresponsive follies
    09/28/11: dx w/ MTHFR (cc)
    10/22/11: IUI #1 w/ Femara + Menopur + trigger+ diluted hcg shots= BFN :-(
    03/25/12: IUI #2 w/ Femara + Menopur + trigger+progesterone= BFN
    Starting to pursue adoption
  • Options
    I noticed my one hand tingling today! I got carpal tunnel with my first, and will get a flare up if I sleep wrong on occassion. I will ask for a prescription for a brace and compression tights at my next appointment so I can use flex spending.
  • Options
    Bonnie Sue, I was in a car accident at 28 weeks pregnant with my first. My hip has never been the same, really limits my activities. They tell me the relaxin plus the impact was a bad combo. I hope mine doesn't get even worse, it is a fear I have.
  • Options
    @kyethra, I fear that, too. I need to make a chiropractor appt, for sure. My goal is to have an unmedicated delivery, but I doubt that will happen if I don't figure this out soon. 
    **Bonnie**
    Married Sept 13, 2009
    TTC since Jan 2010
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS Oct 2010
    1500mg metformin
    SA 05/25/11 morphology @ 10%
    HSG 06/02/11, tubes were clear, uterine septum discovered
    06/30/11 Hysteroscopy, found a polyp blocking R fallopian tube
    07/20/11 Successful surgery to remove polyp and uterine septum!
    Sept/Oct cycle-Femara IUI turned into TI cycle= cancelled due to unresponsive follies
    09/28/11: dx w/ MTHFR (cc)
    10/22/11: IUI #1 w/ Femara + Menopur + trigger+ diluted hcg shots= BFN :-(
    03/25/12: IUI #2 w/ Femara + Menopur + trigger+progesterone= BFN
    Starting to pursue adoption
  • Options
    My hands aren't hurting, my foot is and I am definitely having more aches and pains. The hip I had surgery on a few years ago seems to be causing me more problems now too. My doc said he might send me to PT just due to the history with my hip.

Pregnancy Ticker