Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Questions after D&C.

So I did post a previous post, but now I have a bunch of questions. 
1. How long does it take for HCG levels to return after D&C. I still tested positive 8 days after.
2. When did you start cervical checks ? I checked mine today at 10 days post op, and it's almost closed (can't fit a finger tip in), but feeis softish still.
3. When did you have sex after ? I haven't yet, my gynocologist is on vacation and he never specified when. I'm too scared to even attempt it anytime soon.
4. When is it "safe" to TTC again ?
5. How many of you track your cycles ? I downloaded a few apps to track mine, but I can't start tracking until my period, which I have no idea when that'll be.

Re: Questions after D&C.

• It can be 4 to 6 weeks before you have a period... though for some it can be shorter or longer. I feel like if nothing happens after 6 weeks I'd call my doc.

my doc said sex was ok after about 2 weeks (but I got checked both weeks to make sure I was healing) so after the second check he said we were fine.

Most ppl say to begin trying after your first period (miscarriage not counting as a period) but again, ask your doc because each person has a diff situation.
    In my case I wish he had said wait till after your period for unprotected sex... I got pregnant the cycle right after my mc (before my period) and am already miscarrying again.... not something I would want for anyone to deal with. But again, it might be fine for you.

I mostly use Fertility Friend to track my cycles... free and easy.
  • @amberrmariee20 I'm so sorry for your loss.  I read your into, that must have been very scary.  I have never tracked my HCG levels after MC.  I've had two.  First one took about 6 weeks for AF to return and the 2nd one it returned in just under 3 weeks.  I was told by my doctor both times that we could return to sex after 10 days. My doctors told me to just wait for AF to arrive and then we can TTC.  I do track and use two different apps.  You could always call doctors office and speak with a nurse about your concerns.  I went back to dr two weeks after d & c for confirmation that everything was back to normal 
  • Loading the player...
  • @amberrmariee20 I didn't have d&c but I think it depends a lot on how high your levels were but I would guess it will take at least weeks. I would definitely recommend calling your doctor's office and asking about follow-up. 

Just talked to my own doctor's office and they told me that my levels actually had gone up between my two visits. At my Tuesday visit the dr said miscarriage was inevitable (I was bleeding and the sac was still empty when it should have been 7w6d). The fact that the levels were still going up completely freaks me out that I made the wrong decision to take the Misoprostol on Tuesday. I am trying to remind myself that there was no way my dates were two weeks off because that would have meant my first positive HPT was pre-conception, that I was bleeding, and that even if my levels did go up between visits I had a significant loss of pregnancy symptoms starting on Sunday so they could have gone up significantly and started coming back down.
  • @dragonette505 sorry to hear you are misscarrying again, I'm not sure when I'll be able to TTC again due to what just happened with my bleeding and emergency D&C my check up isn't until July 13, I'm so anxious to just talk anout everything and see what the gynocologist recommends. Thanks for the advice.

@Mack2342 I wish they did 2 week checks here, mine isn't until July 13, still a month away. He's gone on vacation so can't even be seen yet boooo, today is day 10 since my D&C and I'm so nervous about sex, I did do a cervical check and it feels almost closed to me, but I'm no dr so I'm gonna wait a bit.
  • @zamora_spin my levels were around 25000, my appointment is July 13, he's gone on vacation so I can't get in till then at least, I'm going to continue to test with the strip preg tests until I get a negative.
  • @amberrmariee20 Those are definitely a lot higher than mine, and I still expect mine will take a couple weeks to completely clear. Like you, my doctor instructed me to check periodically with HPTs. I have a follow-up with my doctor in two weeks as well. 

I discovered this fun fact a couple weeks ago - at least where I'm at (Southeastern U.S.) there are third-party labs that will allow you to request certain blood tests yourself (requestatest.com is where I went online). A week before my first appt I ordered an hCG test for no reason other than pregnancy anxiety, which, it turned out was merited yet the results came back within normal range at the time. It was like $39 to do and I reimbursed myself from my HSA. Anyway, I mention that in case you decide you want to get some further clarity before your appointment. 
  • @amberrmariee20 Those are definitely a lot higher than mine, and I still expect mine will take a couple weeks to completely clear. Like you, my doctor instructed me to check periodically with HPTs. I have a follow-up with my doctor in two weeks as well. 

I discovered this fun fact a couple weeks ago - at least where I'm at (Southeastern U.S.) there are third-party labs that will allow you to request certain blood tests yourself (requestatest.com is where I went online). A week before my first appt I ordered an hCG test for no reason other than pregnancy anxiety, which, it turned out was merited yet the results came back within normal range at the time. It was like $39 to do and I reimbursed myself from my HSA. Anyway, I mention that in case you decide you want to get some further clarity before your appointment. 
    We don't have that option in Canada and right now there is an extreme short in drs in my area so I have to wait or visit the ER if anything. 

We don't have that option in Canada and right now there is an extreme short in drs in my area so I have to wait or visit the ER if anything. 
    That's too bad, I'm sorry. Hopefully you'll be able to track ok with the HPTs. Do you have a bunch of cheap ones? I like the Easy at Home brand that you can get in large quantities for cheap, I usually order from Amazon. I ordered a box of 30 OPK, 20 HPT for like $20 I think. To give you a frame of reference my strips are still close to the color of the control line as of this morning and my hCG was at 3800 on Tuesday. They are supposed to detect down to 25, but I actually think they may be a little more sensitive than that because when I went in for my first beta three days after light positive HPT strip it was only 36.5. 
  • 1. I was having very faint positive HPT's even after 6 weeks. My period returned exactly 7 weeks after my D&C. In my follow up appointment my OBGYN told me it could take up to 12 weeks before the first AF arrives. I called the office at 6 weeks when AF had failed to show up and the nurse told me the same thing.

2. I didn't do any checks. My OBGYN saw me at 2 weeks after the D&C and said everything looked good.

3. I was told to wait 2 weeks, which I did.

4. Not sure. Based on what I've read many doctors think it's okay to start trying again straight away. I was told to wait 3 cycles to build up the lining. Some studies show you are less likely to MC if you conceive within the first three months post-MC and are more likely to have a live birth.

5. I used an app called Life, which I find very helpful. It calculates the average length of your period based on previous entries, and alerts you when you are due a period as well as when you are about to ovulate. I used ovulation test strips and it was pretty accurate, but that's not to say it will be the same for everyone.

Hope this helps and I'm so sorry for your loss. I had the procedure 8 weeks ago, so I totally understand what you are going through.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @zamora_spin those are the ones that I have also ! I'll test weekly until I get a negative.

@silvergreen 7 weeks before your AF returned omg I have to wait that long, I totally wish I had the 2 week check up because it's been 10 days and I'm still slightly bleeding and I feel like the 2 week check would give me some reassurance. 

Wait your our less likely to misscarry if you get pregnancy within 3 months after a miscarriage/D&C ? That's interesting !!
  • @amberrmariee20 Apologies for not replying sooner - I don't seem to get any notifications via e-mail that I've been mentioned in a post.

Here is the article I was referring to: https://time.com/4177190/conceive-after-miscarriage/

Yeah, 7 weeks did feel pretty long, but I was kept busy by a new job. I would definitely find activities to occupy your mind. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen wow I totally didn't know that your less likely to MC within 3 months ! That's so interesting thanks for the read !! I'm definately going to try to find something to occupy me (: !