October 2017 Moms

Traveling while PG/summer travel plans!

I know we chatted about this back in March, but I just wanted to revisit the topic and hear some updates!! 

Any new plans?

Already traveled? How did it go?

Did anyone who planned to (or not to) travel end up changing their plans based on how pregnancy is progressing?

Tips?

How late in the pregnancy are you comfortable traveling and why?

**April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Traveling while PG/summer travel plans!

• Loading the player...
  • ksf13ksf13 member
    Any new plans? We may take a nearby weekend trip somewhere, but no set plans as of now! 

Already traveled? How did it go? We just got back from our two week trip to Alabama. We flew down, then DH ended up buying my sister's car (we really needed a second before baby arrives at it was a great deal on a great car), so we drove back about 1400 miles. We stretched it our over a 3 day drive. As soon as we left the airport when we landed my ankles and feet decided to swell, because of all the heat. They stayed swollen until we got back (the car ride didn't help, even though we stopped a lot for me to walk). They are finally back to normal since it isn't as hot and humid here. Hopefully I can avoid them swelling for at least a few more weeks! Other than the swollen feet/ankles it was a great trip! 

Did anyone who planned to (or not to) travel end up changing their plans based on how pregnancy is progressing? So far, nope! 

Tips? I was just sure to stop every couple of hours to walk around. I was glad I took some flip flops, because my feet were too swollen to fit in my other shoes. We lived in GA when I was pregnant with DD, so my feet stayed swollen with her. 

How late in the pregnancy are you comfortable traveling and why? My doctor said after 36 weeks, so I definitely won't travel after that. We plan to stay fairly close to home for the remainder of the pregnancy anyway though. Even if we do a weekend trip it will probably be no more than a couple of hours away. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @spark88 thanks I do think it'll all work out as long as we take it a little easier than we had originally planned. Lots and lots of water too. 

@ksf13 it's pretty hot and humid here in TX but I'v not had too many problems with swelling besides the one time I drove 3hrs straight at about 16wks. Weird how so many of us can have the same symptoms at once, and at the same time be so different!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Everyone keeps asking about a babymoon but I think we (I) have decided to wait until I can kick back with a bottle of wine or something. So I started a savings fund for a trip next fall. By then we'll have all 4 grandparents close by so we can always split the kiddos up. My goal for breastfeeding with DD was 6  months and it's the same this time. That'll give me almost a year with that. 

As far as traveling for us, we're sticking close to home. We've talked about a day trip to the beach but I'm kind of thinking I'd like to wait until after the baby comes and take a mini family vacation. By that point in the season there won't be crowds and we can bring the dogs out on the beach with us...and if we hit up a beach in SC there's a chance the weather will still be good even in November. 

BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ksf13ksf13 member
    @PizzaMonster3 Mine stayed swollen at this point with DD1, since we got back to Connecticut they haven't been very swollen at all. I guess it's just my body's reaction to it lol. Thankfully it's always just been my feet/ankles and not my hands though. I was able to wear my rings the entire time with DD, hoping to do the same this time! 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went to Vegas for a week at the end of March. It was so much fun. It was really hot so I had to make sure to stay hydrated and know where the bathrooms were because my bladder has a mind of its own now. 
    We are going to Canada in August. I'll be 32-33 weeks when we go. My ob says he is fine with it as long as I'm not dialating. It will be about a 10 hour drive... I'll probably be miserable but we are going to visit some of hubbys family and this trip has been planned for over a year. 
  • We're doing a weekend in Vancouver at the end of the month, but we haven't done any planning other than buying airline tickets yet. Not even sure if we have a place to stay. DH is supposed to be in charge of making arrangements but he's been super busy lately.
  • @spark88 I wish I was there haha. Its been really rainy this week and in the 40s-50s the last couple days. 
  • We're going to the east coast to visit DH's family the first week of July. I'll be 24 weeks, so no worries there. I have a work conference on my calendar for mid-September but I'll probably end up not going.

No other major trips planned, but we are doing our big annual friends camping trip in August when I'll be 30 weeks. Last year one of my friends was 37 weeks pregnant on that trip. And another friend will be about 30 weeks this year too.

Last time I flew up until 32 weeks.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hubs and I went to Florida for a week when I was 14/15 wks for a wedding/babymoon. That was our big trip for the year. We were originally gonna drive down to Miami and the Keys but my OB did not want me going there b/c of the Zika risk. So after the wedding (near Tampa), we went to Clearwater for a couple days and then Disney. It was a lot of fun and I am glad I went then b/c I had a lot more energy!

We want to do a little weekend excursion close to our home (no more than 4 hr drive), possibly sometime in July. That will be the last time we travel before baby comes. I don't think I would want to travel past 32 weeks.
  • I did a girls weekend in San Francisco when I was 18 weeks. Unfortunately I was still nauseous at that point.

I'm flying to CA for my best friend's wedding at the end of August. I'll be 34/35 weeks. It's only a 2 hour flight. Unfortunately I'll be flying alone with my toddler. She'll turn 3 on the trip. I've flown with her by myself 9 times, but I usually wear her through the airport which I won't be doing this time. I'm nervous about lugging her around plus her car seat through the airport while I'm huge, but I'll manage.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • @buttercream_frosting how exciting! Are you staying in Hawaii the whole 5 weeks? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @buttercream_frosting oh wow. Fun, but that's 4 extremely long flights you have on one trip. Hopefully you are able to get some sleep in!

• @bluejeanbabi05 What I consider long is probably different being in Australia. Long is europe which is 24 hours LOL. 10hours is long but do-able. All the others are 5 hours and less. Very doable. I think.... too late now.

**June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH and I talked about getting away for a weekend. We have never left our kids overnight and that makes me nervous, but we could really use sometime to ourselves. We have gone on 2 dates since our daughter was born in 2014. I told him I would be ok with just booking a hotel close by that had a pool. There is a place nearby that gives you your own private pool as part of your room, but it costs a little over $300 for one night! I feel silly for wanting to spend that but the place looks awesome! Even if we dont do that, I would just want to go anywhere with a pool. 

With DD, we were in the Dominican when I was 27 weeks, and while it was fun, I was miserable. I swelled up like a balloon as soon as we got there. And it sucked that I couldn't drink. But i did enjoy lounging on the beach all day!
  • @purplestarz that is so slack! I heard Yosemite was one of the most beautiful parks to visit. Come meet me there hehe!

**June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @buttercream_frosting I knoooooow. Granted I've only lived in California for a year but still. I have a friend hopefully visiting this summer who wants to go there so maybe we will make a trip :)

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • we're traveling to southern California at the end of this month. I'll be 26/27 weeks. The only thing I'm worried about is the long flight & my hips. They've been killing me. Sitting is not helpful. So i'll be pretending to go to the bathroom often! 
    We're also flying united.... :#  :| I'm sure it will be no big deal...but still. 

So far baby and myself are healthier than ever, and assuming nothing changes from now until the 30th I'm clear to fly. 

I was frantic about booking this trip before i hit the 3rd trimester. So i guess i wouldn't be comfortable flying or traveling long distance passed 28 weeks. Short local trips (about 2-3 hours away from the hospital) probably around 35 weeks. But who knows. Im a FTM and have no idea what im talking about.
    \

• Any new plans?

Already traveled? How did it go?  I just did a 12+ hour car ride (well, my sister drove and I sat in the passenger seat) to Buffalo last week and am flying back home on Sunday.  I think I'm more nervous about the flight than the car ride.  

Did anyone who planned to (or not to) travel end up changing their plans based on how pregnancy is progressing?

Tips?  We stopped every couple hours for a bathroom break or to walk around.  It helped that my nephews were with us and they need to stop often.  ;)

How late in the pregnancy are you comfortable traveling and why?  I have another trip to Buffalo planned in early August, about 2 months before due date.  I'm thinking that after that the most I'd be travelling is an hour or two away.  
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    Traveling to Paris and Barcelona in 3 weeks (I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant). We will be there for 2 total weeks. I have an ultrasound scheduled the week before I leave, so I'm hoping we get the okay to go on our trip!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    DH and I had always talked about going to Spain this year, before BFP. Well being the tightwad that I am, I vetoed the trip once we found out and DH moped for weeks. But I have had major regret about not doing an overseas trip before having kids since I've never left the states/Mexico border. 

So I did the most reckless thing I've ever done in my life. I booked a 4th of July trip to Paris and Barcelona this weekend. And. I. Am. Freaking. Out. I'll be 27/28 weeks. i wouldn't have been worried if it had not been for a brief episode where I nearly fainted at a BBQ cook off after only walking around for 2 hours last week. I recovered and felt fine an hour later but it was a first for me. My old OB said flying up to 32 weeks was fine since I was a low risk pg. but I've yet to take my GD test or meet with my new OB. And I don't think I mentioned an overseas long haul flight when we first talked about travel being okay...

I plan on upping my water and starting to take longer walks every night to prepare myself, but I'm mostly worried about how much money we're spending and the days off I'm taking not medically related. 

Basically - I'm in between wanting y'all to tell me everything will be okay, and wanting my OB to write me a do not travel note so I can get my money back from the trip insurance I bought. 

Can an yall tell I'm freaking out?
    oh wow, we'll be in the same cities the same time! I'm flying out July 3rd, doing Barcelona first then Paris. Don't worry, mama, it'll be okay!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have some tips!
    1) if you're traveling after 30-32 weeks, ask your OB for paperwork re: your pregnancy  (especially if you aren't medical savvy in case you need to be medically evaluated - NOT just in case you go in to labor)

2) research local places you could go in case you go into labor. I had a plan for my sister when she traveled to my wedding at 34 weeks pregnant

3) keep hydrated, especially in long car rides and flights to prevent blood clots 

4) get uo and stretch your legs every 2 hours in car rides and flights to prevent blood clots

5) check with airlines if you need any special note to travel if youre close to term (or looking close to term)
    I completely agree with all of this! I also highly recommend compression socks for those on flights longer than 5 hours. I flew a lot on business during my last pregnancy and these saved me from swelling like a balloon, along with staying hydrated and walking every 30-40 minutes. I learned about these magical socks the hard way - after a 16 hour nonstop flight to Shanghai at 16 weeks pregnant left my lower legs looking like giant tree trunks. A colleague I was traveling with suggested them. They're not the most attractive socks in the world but they work! 

We went to San Diego for a wedding in April, without DD so we're counting that as our last kid-free getaway before baby. We went to Boise over Memorial Day weekend and the 10 hour drive left me swollen (I should've worn my compression socks!). We plan on smaller road trips this summer for camping (if I'm up for sleeping on an air mattress) at least once. The last thing we have planned is our annual family trip to Lake Coeur d'Alene the weekend before Labor Day. It's a 5 hour drive but totally worth it!! Cabin on the lake for 5 days and plenty of people willing to entertain DD while I relax. What could be better ... besides a cocktail on the dock?