May 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 6.12 to 6.17

Re: Weekly Randoms 6.12 to 6.17

• That's a great idea @mrsrep123! When I went last week just to get a few things (hahaha a few things) I just used the stroller and it filled up so fast underneath! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • @mdlorenz I agree with what you said about being cautious about pumping. I don't want to pump for comfort, because I'm afraid it would just increase my supply more. I don't even think I'll pump to build a supply if I'm still leaking about 10 oz a day. That's giving me plenty of a supply for now, so I think I'd wait until/if the excess leaking stops before adding in an extra pumping session. But, I would like to start a pump session next week in replacement of a meal so H can bottle feed her. Oh, and I did read that thing about block feeding from kellymom last week. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future if needed.

I did set up an appointment for Thursday with a lactation consultant. Not only to get advice on what to do if the leaking doesn't let up at some point, but also to ask about feeding in general. I still feel like I'm kind of faking it until I make it. Sometimes she feeds from one boob and dozes right off to sleep. Other times she's still alert and hungry, so I feed her from both sides. I'm trying to just use her cues, but I really want some expert advice on this so I know if I'm doing it right or should be doing it a different way. I don't want to further boost my supply or incidentally drop it too much or something.

I just feel like BFing is this giant grey area. I watched this video a woman made about BFing tips she wished she'd known with her first (she's on her third child). One of the things she mentioned was to stop going by the clock. Stop timing and trying to time feeds, etc...and to just go purely by your child's hunger cues. Anyone do that? I'm currently noting everything down in an app, and I do watch the clock during the day to make sure we don't go past a 3 hour interval. Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on making BFing an event, when I should just be letting it work it's way into the day normally.
  • Loading the player...
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    @starphish18 I go strictly off of her cues. When DD was in the NICU, she fed every 3 hours. I was able to room in with her the last 2 days and nursed ad lib. She always woke up to feed before the 3 hour mark. Since being home, she has gained really well. I notice that when she goes more than 3 hours she self adjusts by nursing again within 2 hours or so.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• mrsrep123 said:
    mcvgal said:
    @Jens_Hoes glad to hear the first outing went well. This is my 3rd kid and I am still trying to master the grocery shopping with an infant. It's is much easier once they can actually sit in the cart.
    To make it easier, I would use the hooks on my stroller to hold reusable grocery bags and just throw the items in there. Obviously,  works for weekly trips since I'm not restocking everything. 
    The ergo saves my sanity. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrsrep123 we are in a rental so it would be the landlords problem. Sadly, landlords here are lazy, and we are actually quite lucky to even have a central air unit and most of the others do not.

@Jens_Hoes glad to hear the first outing went good! My first solo was pretty stressful but went pretty good until he cried at the end.
  • mrsrep123 said:
    mcvgal said:
    @Jens_Hoes glad to hear the first outing went well. This is my 3rd kid and I am still trying to master the grocery shopping with an infant. It's is much easier once they can actually sit in the cart.
    To make it easier, I would use the hooks on my stroller to hold reusable grocery bags and just throw the items in there. Obviously,  works for weekly trips since I'm not restocking everything. 
    The ergo saves my sanity. 
    I'm trying to get this LO used to the Lillebaby now that he has cleared 10 lbs and feels more sturdy. So far, wah wah wah when I put him in it.

DS1 didn't like the carrier much either.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• +1 to the ergo for grocery shopping sanity.

@Jens_Hoes, I still stop and check DS in the backseat sometimes on car rides, but I'm getting better! He fits much better in his carseat now, too.

I am so freaking hot. 90 degrees + Pennsylvania humidity is killing me. We try to conserve energy and $ here, but I keep using DS as an excuse to turn the window AC on.
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Are you kidding me?! 6.5 weeks out and I have my freaking period?! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mamatowildones Noooooo!  :s That's too soon!
  • @mamatowildones Noooooo!  :s That's too soon!
    I know!!!! I just looked it up because I started the mini pill last week. It looks like some women bleed a bit and then that's it. But I have cramps and I'm exhausted and hungry and bleeding enough for me to say this is a period. Can't remember what happened with my other two

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mamatowildones Solidarity. It sucks. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Baby is 3.5 weeks old and I'm starting to get super hott and sweating one minute and then freezing cold the next. Also terrible headaches. Do you think this is still my body regulating hormones or since its been this long I should call my doc? 

Taking baby out at this age is much easier because they usually sleep but I always feel like I have a ticking time bomb that's going to go off at any minute. 
  • @lrwardrop, I chalk a lot of things up to hormones. I had the hot/cold flashes the first 2 weeks and then it cleared up. Aren't flu like symptoms a sign of mastitis, too? I hope it's just hormones, and you're not sick.
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• @lrwardrop I would call your doc, that's how mastitis started for me, at 3.5w hormones should be pretty well stable, it's worth a call to be sure
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Thanks guys. Would it be mastitis though if my breasts don't hurt? My nipples are pretty tender, I am not sure if that's because of so much nursing the past few days or what. 
  • @mcvgal yay for sleeping though the night! It's the best feeling to wake up and actually feel rested
  • @lwardrop have you checked your temperature? I felt like I had the flu (not just hot/cold but crappy overall) and I had a fever of around 101 when I had mastitis (twice ugh) with DD

• @lwardrop same thing happened with me that did with @pshaortao. I had the hot/cold feeling, chills, felt crappy all over, and a temperature of 102. My boobs hurt a little but weren't red in areas, it sounds like it was just the beginning of it or because it was 3 days pp my milk coming in, but thwy said that's what it's like if it is mastitis. I was told to watch out for the signs and if it happened to take Tylenol and pump a bunch. If it didn't improve in 12 hrs then I'd need antibiotics. 

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • I don't know why but my baby has stealthy poops! DD1 (and all other newborns I've known) had such loud poos, but this one has the quietest poops ever! I was wearing her today and smelled it first... surprise blowout! 
  • @llenadevida900 Oh no! Our little girl announces every one of her poops. Definitely makes it easy to know when to clean her up!
  • We have a LOUD pooper in our house too! It's shocking that such huge noises can come from such a tiny human!
  • Not sure if @RainyDays86 is at Hogwarts, but I'm curious how she's doing....

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I feel like this maternity leave will both drag on and fly right by.   I can't believe it has been over a week, it feels like only a few days.  I also feel like I get NOTHING done during the day, even if I plan on doing a ton.  At what point did you guys feel better about having a schedule for the baby and getting out of the house? I feel cooped up here, and when my husband and I eat dinner together I ask him a million questions because I have no adult interaction all day!
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    With my boys, I was so good about getting  on a schedule early on. Yet, with DD, we have no schedule at all. I really need to start working on it, but it's so hard for me to try and stay organized in the summer. Our family schedule changes every week because of so many get togethers and celebrations.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• I don't have a schedule going yet. I think I'll try to get that started after 4 weeks when H goes back to work. @Jens_Hoes I feel like I do nothing most days, too. It's ok, we're in the really early stages!
  • @starphish18 Sounds like the LC Visit was a good one! Totally agree with not using block feeding in your (early PP) situation. Just something to know about eventually if the need arises. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @starphish18 the tongue tie could actually be the reason she has tension and is favouring one side.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    @starphish18 the tongue tie could actually be the reason she has tension and is favouring one side.
    I have a feeling we may get referred to PT in July after DD's special care clinic appointment because I've noticed lately she favors one side. How can tongue tie be related? I wonder if there's something I am overlooking.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• MTB16MTB16 member
    Is anyone using a nipple shield to BF? I'm having a hard time (3 weeks out) with feeds but just want to leave the damn house and do something other than a dr. Appointment with the little guy!  It's my own fear mostly because feeds usually end with both of us covered in my milk, but I feel scared as hell to try this in public. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @MTB16 I use a shield, because my nipples are flatter than I'd like and she has a hard time latching. Milk does still leak out onto her face and sometimes drops on me, so I'm not sure if that's the answer for you. But it has helped me tremendously. Only costs about 10 bucks, so not a total waste if you don't like it. 
  • MTB16MTB16 member
    @Jens_Hoes have you fed her out in public yet? Just wondering how it's going for you. I just feel like such a mess when I use the shields and I'm afraid of being out with him and needing to feed him. I know it's probably irrational, and thousands of people like use shields in public without traumatizing themselves but I'm SO paranoid about it!!! 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I use a shield sometimes and I used it for a year with my ds. It is messier but if that's what it takes to make bf work, then it's worth it. I keep it in my bra so I don't lose it. 
  • @MTB16 I haven't tried feeding in public yet, but I will be going somewhere this Saturday. I kind of don't give an eff because that's the only way she'll really feed. 
  • mcvgal said:
    @starphish18 the tongue tie could actually be the reason she has tension and is favouring one side.
    I have a feeling we may get referred to PT in July after DD's special care clinic appointment because I've noticed lately she favors one side. How can tongue tie be related? I wonder if there's something I am overlooking.
    Our LC actually said the reverse - that the tension could be making it appear she has a tongue tie. She said if we treat the tension, it's possible her tongue would gain more mobility, too.