August 2017 Moms
Options

Birth Control After Baby

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, and I missed it.

I've been thinking about the fast-approaching finish line, and for me that's a RCS with the option of having tubal ligation (tubes tied). I haven't signed the papers yet, but this is our last baby. 

Whats everyone doing about birth control postpartum? 

Re: Birth Control After Baby

• Options
    NxyNxy member
    Dh is getting snipped. I'm not really up for any procedure that could send me into early menopause at my age. DH is the one who wants 2 kids so he can take one for the team so to speak.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @nxy My DH actually went to get snipped in 2014. He had his initial consultation & then chickened out. So glad he did, since we wouldn't have had DD & this LO! 

I'm super nervous about having my tubes tied, but I'm also thinking that having it done at the same time as my c-section would be a smart move. My OB said my periods may become more painful, but I'm going to have to ask about early menopause. I hadn't heard that before. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm about 99% sure we are done after baby number 2. Despite having a RCS I just don't think I want to do a tubal at the same time just in case I change my kind. So will probably do the mini pill for a while like with my DD and then once I'm sure DH will be getting snipped. We established very early on that when it came time to be done having kids it was his job to get taken care of. 
  • Options
    I'll probably get another Mirena IUD since I want another kid later on. It agreed really well with my body and I loved not having to think about birth control other than the occasional string check. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    NxyNxy member
    @PinkPrincessPiper it's a super slim chance that it could trigger early menopause in some women. I don't recall any exact figures but it was a really low margin. I know it happened to my aunt and they don't really understand why. It's not supposed to do anything like that but in some women it does. I think they call it post tubal syndrome which covers almost anything that could happen after the ligation. She's been on horomone replacement since she was 30 she's 55 now. So based on my freak family it's a no. But a billion other women have had it done with little to no issues so don't let me scare you!

DH is set on 2 and I want 3 so I told him we can go back to condoms or he can get snipped it's his call. He was leaning toward the snip last we talked but the military won't cover it until we have two kids so we have to wait until baby is actually here. We'll see if he changes his mind after the consult lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I decided I will chart (bbt and secondary signs) like I did to get pregnant, and just use it to avoid. We want kids to be closeish in age, so hormonal anything isn't something I want. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    I charted to get pregnant and to avoid a few of those cycles. I had just upgraded fertility friend the month we conceived, go figure. I am interested to hear how others who have charted manage to do this with a newborn. How soon did you start charting after your baby was born? Did you take your BBT daily before your period returned or wait until you had your first cycle. 

Im trying to decide between this method which worked well for us and something hormonal (Mirena Vs mini pill). I've never been on BC before so I would appreciate all of the advice! 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• Options
    I'm also planning to chart like I did pre-pregnancy. I have the same question as @BlackNYellow. I don't picture myself waking up each morning to temp. Plus it'll be super unreliable with little to no sleep. Maybe will resort to condoms the first few months (after the 6 week waiting period) until my cycles return to normal. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I stopped taking hormonal birth control last spring when the doctor that delivered DS asked me if I got auras with my migraines after I had some non epileptic seizures last spring related to my body being unable to handle the stress of the migraines . She told me she would have never prescribed it had she known because it increased my chance of stroke by 90%. No other doctor had ever asked that and I wish I had known having been on the pill off and on since I was 19.  She said there are non hormonal IUDs but since we weren't planning on waiting a long time between kids so that was a no.  Also, they freak me out as I've heard horror stories from my mom who used to work for an obgyn. We used condoms until I was safely off topomax and my migraines were controlled. I also switched to a pregnancy safe anxiety medicine and made sure my body reacted to it well.  A surprise pregnancy would have been dangerous. 

So, obviously hormonal birth control is off the table.  I frankly don't want a tubal and condoms suck. I got pregnant on the first cycle with both pregnancies so charting would freak me out. I always wanted more than 2, but DS only wants 2, and honestly I don't want to go through another pregnancy at 35 because we'd wait the same time span. So, DS is getting snipped.  It was good enough for my dad and it's good enough for him.

Also, breast feeding is not birth control! My friend was conceived while her mom was nursing her brother at just a few months old. My mom said she saw so many people with newborns get pregnant on their first cycle after delivery because they really thought they couldn't. 

Also, my cousin just had her 2nd kid in 11 months because it took her years to get pregnant the first time. When her doctor brought it up she declined saying she wasn't worried. It took several blood draws to determine she was actually pregnant and it wasn't just residual hormones. She was shocked but her doctor told her since she was recently pregnant everything was open and her body knew what to do. 

Sorry for the novel, but this is definitely an important topic. Thanks for bringing it up @PinkPrincessPiper

• Options
    @BlackNYellow and @secicc12 I believe you don't need to temp until your first pp period arrives if you are exclusively breastfeeding. If you aren't, I believe the book taking charge of your fertility has some good info on the subject.  I know there is an appendix that helps you figure out what and when you should do things if charting is what you choose. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • Options
    lewlivlewliv member
    edited June 2017
    I'll be definitely using condoms until my period is back to its normal self. DH and I are probably the odd ones because we don't mind condoms at all.

ed. I don't think it was clear but I'll wait to BBT until after my period is back. I'll keep notes of cervical fluid though. 
  • Options
    Will probably just do condoms, as I was mostly doing before this baby. I too want to avoid hormones. I kind of want another baby after this one, back to back because bf wants two of his own and I'd rather get it over with quickly. 
  • Options
    imwithbabyimwithbaby member
    edited June 2017
    Hormonal is definitely off the table. I hate that stuff. 

We'll use charting and probably condoms during my fertile window for the first few months. 

+1 for breastfeeding not being birth control!

+1 for Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I learned more about my body from that book than I did in my previous 28 years of life.

ETA: "the first few months" meaning once I get a good feel for my pp cycles we might ditch the condoms, not meaning we'll start trying again. Ain't nobody got time for that. 
  • Options
    I have tried birth controls of all kinds and I hate them all. They make me feel like a different person! I did the Mirena after my first son and my hormones were so bad that I ended up taking it out myself. We didn't have insurance and they were going to charge me $300 to remove it. In hindsight, that was not the best decision as something could have happened, but it was an easy fix. I have done pills, rings, IUDs and patches. All made me feel like I was super emotional and depressed all the time. This being said, we will use condoms until we want Baby #4 (in a few years) and then DH is getting the big SNIP. 

PS my mom had Irish twins because she was told BF was the best BC she could have LOL
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    I feel like I just learned a shit ton (didn't know what charting was, that some people considered BF a form of birth control, etc.)! Since I'm single (and am planning on staying that way for quite some time [Landon is going to come first and I have no desire to date after dating my ex]) I'm going the whole absence way/ exploring my options with birth control. definitely going to take my time and work with my doctor to find the best option that works for me. 
  • Options
    I should add, from my post above, that +1838484848 to breastfeeding not being perfect birth control. However it can delay your period, and for some women you won't get your first pp until you stop. Also when I said exclusively breastfeeding, I meant literally nothing else,
    not even pumping. But I will say that taking charge of your fertility is amazing, and should
    help any of you looking to avoid hormonal birth control!  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    YES to Taking Charge of your Fertility! Such an eye opener. I picked up a copy of that after stalking the TTGP board. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    OTmom3OTmom3 member
    DH will be getting snipped. He actually really wanted to get it done after baby #2, but didn't thank god. I used to joke he would perform his own vasectomy if I gave him the a-okay. And now here we are with baby #3 (but he is excited).
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• Options
    I think we will plan to use condoms and do charting/temping but I haven't looked into what that actually means. We are not exactly known for our flawless birth control as this pregnancy came about when DD was 8 months old, but we were already talking about having another anyways. This time I definitely need a break before deciding when/if we will have another and I don't want to go back on hormones. I feel generally crummy on them and just don't think they're a good option for me.
  • Options
    Another here for charting and NFP. I'm super regular, not that that means anything for anyone else, but I can track my cycles down to the hour. Both pregnancies were intentional and charted so we know when to avoid.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I've always had bad periods and period cramps and it was nice when I was on the pill dealing with better periods. Part of me likes the idea of not dealing with a pill and using condoms when needed, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mango517Mango517 member
    edited June 2017
    Planning on charting and paying close attention to my ovulation signs. I have regular cycles with clear ovulation signs and am hoping they don't change post pregnancy.  We used charting, withdraw and natural family planning together for years. 

There is no way I'm going back on hormonal birth control ever again since I've been off it for five years now so I'm likely going to use exhaustion, my resting bitch face, and charting again until we're ready to try for #2 in about a year. After that I'd really like it if my H got a snip.

Edit to add: I'm OK with getting pregnant anytime after having this LO, so if I was really looking to avoid another pregnancy for awhile I'd likely go for a non-hormonal IUD option.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was breastfeeding with DS, so we'd used condoms for the first few months. Temping is unreliable with nursing, specifically if you do it all night. For those that plan to use condoms until your are "regular", my period  did not return until 18 months pp. (yay for no period for 18 months!) I knew that at any point I could conceive, so I had to be careful until I was sure I was okay with having another LO. (I think it was at 12 months that I threw caution to the wind)
    I started temping and using opks and conceived that month. 

This time, I am hoping DH will get snipped. He doesn't want a 4th, so I am hoping he will. I prefer not to use hormones. 

There was a few of you I wanted to tag for parts of this... @littlebug2010 this goes with you just said. @livlew I can't remember if you plan to breastfeed or not 
  • Options
    Definitely condoms. I'd been on and off hormonal birth control over the years and like a poster above, I feel like a different person on it. 

I'm 100% sure I want one child. DH is like, 95% sure he wants one child. We talked about him getting snipped in the future but it won't be immediately. But, I'm a bit worried now about a surprise baby. I think snipping would be the best way to go in the next few years once we're both certain we're done. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 99% sure we're done too, but I don't want to have my 1 remaining tube tied.  It's just too permanent for me right now.  I know in my head we're done, but I guess I just don't want to close off the possibility right now.  DH has a fear or needles and has no interest in being snipped.  I've been off the pill for over 9 years and have no intention of going back.  We'll probably just do condoms again although I'd consider an IUD.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is will be are second and final.  The plan has always been for DH to get snipped but now there is a chance I will need a complete hysterectomy.  I am still waiting to get some testing done but as other people have mentioned early menopause is not anything to take lightly.  If that is the case I am hoping the doctors will let me wait at least a year postpartum before I have to do with the hormonal upheaval.  And we will just use condoms for that year because it took about a year from my period to return.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm likely planning to do NFP/charting after baby but realize that because of breastfeeding, temping might not work out too well. And because I have endo, I might need to go back on hormonal BC to try and control the pain/growth until we're ready for #2. 
  • Options
    For those planning on charting, Fertility Friend was the most accurate app for me in predicting fertile cycles, etc. 

I am so surprised at the number of people using condoms! I loathe them, so does DH. I also hate hormonal BC though, so I totally get it! 

I believe I'll be signed the papers for the tubal during my appt this week when we schedule the RCS. I am now armed with a whole new set of questions for my OB. Hope she's ready for it  :D
  • Options
    +100000000 for Fertility Friend.  Thats what I used, and it was always the more accurate app, compared to others like, Glow or Clue.  

@PinkPrincessPiper DH and I hate condoms too, and I wish I had learned about natural family planning when I got off BC, becuase we waited to try for almost 6 months before really trying, so it was condoms for months! EWWWW. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options

I am so surprised at the number of people using condoms! I loathe them, so does DH. I also hate hormonal BC though, so I totally get it! 

Seriously, it's just the lesser of two evils. We'll deal with the inconvenience/ick of condoms to avoid the long term repercussions of hormonal birth control. I'll never touch that stuff again. 
  • Options
    This is our third and I'm going to sign the papers for a tubal after birth. (TW-I had an ectopic that ruptured my tube when my husband and I first started dating. So only one tube to tie...I'm asking for a discount ;) I REALLY appreciate the feedback here and I need to do some more research on getting tubes tied. 

With that said....I'm making the actual decision in the next month or so. Just want all my ducks in a row. My husband would get snipped if needed but he's freaked out because our cousin just had their third after the husband was snipped (It was a few years after he got snipped and all tests showed no swimmers...Dr. even "joked" that she cheated which didn't go over well) 

It makes me sad to say we are done but I'm turning 35 soon, we will have 3 kids, and this pregnancy has kicked my butt. I'm ready to move on to the next chapter. 
  • Options
    I am not a huge fan of condoms but I since it takes my period so long to come back it is the best option for me.  I fall on the crunchy side and would prefer not to go back on birth control now that we are done having kids and there are more permanent options.  I am hoping that all my tests come back normal and we can just get DH snipped.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I won't be using any birth control!  I want my kids close in age together and since I have irregular periods slash no cycles at all without medical intervention, I want to see what my body will do. Also, DH is deploying 4 months after birth so the whole "no sex" thing will be a form of birth control haha
  • Options
    JWatt5JWatt5 member
    It's being suggested I try out the Mirena IUD - the hormone is to help with the endo pain management until I'm done breastfeeding and we start trying for number two - man I'm terrified of my period pain - I dont know how I'll take care of a baby when I'm on the floor throwing up/trying not to pass out the first day. We used condoms for a couple months while we were doing some testing to make sure I could start trying naturally and they don't agree with me it seems. Also hated the mini pill that I was on for a couple years earlier but it seemed to keep my endo pain at bay - I had no idea I had it until I went off it. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Options
     @JWatt5 The Mirena basically wiped out my periods after a few months. I would get spotting here and there and some random light cramps, but overall I really liked it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    As of right now my DH is planning on getting snipped as well. This is our third and I really don't ever want to be pregnant again.  We have decided to at least wait until this LO is at least a year old just in case we have a change of heart. Before my first I did hormonal birth control with no side effects, but when we started having kids I never been back on it. We just used condoms and hated them or embarrassing enough the pull out method which worked for us surprisingly! Do not recommend for others though. It's not smart by any means. 
  • Options
    Hey, fun fact- at today's appointment (32 week check in) my practice sent me home with a giant packet of FAQs about... birth control and sterilization (both male and female). 
    If you've got questions, I've got answers ;-) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    @DeansGirl14 you literally just made me laugh out loud. 
  • Options
    AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    We actually just talked about this last night. DH will be getting the snip one day- but I'm delaying any decision on #3 at the moment.   I suppose my UO is that I will probably do the mini pill then the pill-  doesn't seem to bother me.