December 2017 Moms
Options

Hyperemesis moms

to My HG mom's -

I am so sorry you are going through that.. I can't imagine what it must be like for you just to get through the day.. I work in healthcare and here is what I know about each med in pregnancy
1) diclegis - used to be called bendectin pulled off the market for risk of birth defects.. Reintroduced as Diclegis in 2013-2015 and has been doing well.. Person who invented this sponsored the first studies looking for heart defects with zofran.. Works but usually only for milder causes usually not for n/v
2) zofran - been used for years with the only side effect tends to be constipation.. Studies about heart defects very conflicting and reviews and meta analysis have found it to be almost a neglible risk 
3) reglan used as a gastric motility agent for diabetics and others with that issue.. Works really well for nausea and has been linked with minimal side effects.. Some use this as an alternate to zofran to avoid this minimal risk the studies show and to avoid being sued 
4) compazine and phenergan these are both ones that people tend to use of the above don't work because they have side effects but plus side is they come in rectal suppositories as well... Can make you very sleepy 
6) scopalamine patch works extremely well not been associated with risks and works well for almost every HG person.. Problem is unless you have tried other things and failed or have really good insurance the insurance may deny it because it is very very expensive 
7) home health- there are home health services that will come by and give you iv fluids, draw labs and give iv zofran or reglan through a picc line.. For those who say they are losing 30 lbs or vomiting all day that may be a good alternative to
8) hospitalization - honestly if you are losing 30 lbs or can't keep anything down getting hospitalized for iv hydration and getting essentials like potassium replaced and getting you on a oral medication regimen that works would be what most ob would recommend 

To be honest it's not normal to have untreated HG and its not a normal part of pregnancy. If you have it please seek help and if our doctor is telling you wait for it to go away I would seek a second opinion.. I know some are averse to taking medications in pregnancy as you may find them unnatural.. Illness is natural.. Malnutrition is natural.. Fetal problems from malnutrition are natural. 

Re: Hyperemesis moms

• Options
    @jackiesmom324 Thanks for the details! I almost skipped this thread because 
    I didn't know what Hyperemesis was. My doctor never even mentioned the term HG,I learned that here LOL. I didn't know that about Diclegis. After week 15, if I'm still having MS, I'm switching to 
    Zofran. It was great for the 4 days I took it. 
  • Options
    @jackiesmom324 thank you for the great info. This is my third HG pregnancy and my first was undiagnosed. It was so hard. There is also a drug called Kytril which is the same class as Zofran and typically more effective with less side effects. Another great resource for those suffering from HG is HelpHER.org. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you @jackiesmom324. Firsthand experience here with compazine and the side effects. I will take vomiting over them any day but I think that only happens in 1/1000 people.   97% HG'er resolve by 20 weeks is the statistic I'm banking on!  @disneyfan0511 I'm going to ask my doctor about kytril 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• Options
    @Marley629 I had a horrible reaction to Reglan, I would rather be sick everyday than experience that again! For Kytril it is helpful to bring your doctor some additional info since it's not a well-known drug. (I would recommend googling "Kytril FDA PDF" and brining it to your dr). It's class B the same as Zofran. I took it up until week 13 and it worked SO much better than Zofran. It is not an easy drug to get though - I had to get a pre-authorization from my doctor and it took a while. Some doctors aren't comfortable with it because it's not as well known as Zofran - but my OB was given that is a class B drug. Good luck!!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for this post.  HG is awful  :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Together since May 19, 2001

Baby #1 was born in May 2013.

Baby #2 was born in December 2017.

• Options
    nz113nz113 member
    @jackiesmom324 thank you so much for this post. This is my second HG pregnancy and I wouldn't wish this condition on anyone! 
  • Options
    bumping...
    how is everyone doing?  hanging in there?

just checking in..i have been MIA lately.  between work and this HG it's been tough!  but today is a good day so far.  <3

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Together since May 19, 2001

Baby #1 was born in May 2013.

Baby #2 was born in December 2017.

• Options
    What about unisom and B6? Have any of you HG moms tried it? I've not been diagnosed with it yet but if I don't take the unisom and B6 I can't stop throwing up. Every 20 to 40 mins not being able to keep anything down. My doctor wanted me off of it at 14 week's. I tried for 2 days and both days were the same. So I waited till I was 18 weeks and again I was the same although this time I only did 1 day. I go for my AS tomorrow and want to talk to her about it. (I was out of town for 3 weeks so I've not seen her since I was about 13 weeks.