July 2017 Moms

FFFC

2»

Re: FFFC

• edited June 2017
    what is this dark side thing? 

I'm editing because i don't want to jinx myself. 
  • Here's my confession. It's going to be a little long. Sorry...

Actual Confession:
    I'm avoiding taking my dog to the vet again this month because I know what he is going to say. We are afraid he has hip displatia. We had previously made the decision that if he ever got it we would put him down instead of making him suffer. Our previous dog suffered through it and seeing him like that was horrible. His quality of life went downhill so quickly. We will be taking him but I want more time with him. 

Backstory:
    We we got him from friends who had to find him a new home because they had very little time to give him. They own a business and we're out of the house most of the day. They were also planning to move to a much smaller house with a smaller yard. 

Dozer has been with us for 2 years. The kids love him, DH and I love him. I was dealing with severe depression when he came into our home and he was one of my biggest healers in the process. He loves all the cuddles. Somehow it felt like he healed a part of me from my pregnancy loss that I could never find peace with. I had been dealing with the depression for 2 years by then. I was in therapy and on medication for depression. Within the first year of having him in our lives things began changing. 

We knew this was something he would eventually get but it came a lot sooner than we thought. He is still happy and will try and run around and get you to play with him, which is the reason why it's even harder to put him down. If we put him down early on we keep him from suffering but doing it so soon seems so harsh and cruel. It's such a difficult decision. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Poppyseed72017 - aw! I'm sorry about Dozer. How bad is the hip displasia? My German shepherd has it. We changed his food to something that helps with joints and he hasn't had issues from the displasia. Sometimes I can tell if he overdoes it from running around - he might run like a bunny (basically hopping with his back legs), but it's not often. 

How old is Dozer? I can see where that could make a difference. My boy is almost 6, but he was diagnosed a few years ago - maybe when he was around 2 or 3. 

Talk to your vet and see if there's something you can do to help Dozer. They have pills and stuff to help with joints too. Obviously I don't know your situation and other health factors of Dozer play into it, but putting him down doesn't have to be the only option. 
  • WTF is up with this greenish/yellow snot like discharge that I've been having for the last week or so (36w4d now). It's so embarrassing and I have to make sure I wear a liner at all times, otherwise I'd be making multiple panty changes. My discharge hasn't always been weird during pregnancy but this is too much lol. Last pregnancy I hadn't nothing like this towards the end lol, I'm so over this, my husband bought me the wet cottonnelle wipes because I was complaining so much
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @ginger1228 collectively between us and his previous owners we've had him for 7 years. Not sure what that makes him in dog years. His issues started late the first year we had him. But he would just lift his foot. Now he lifts his entire leg and hops like a bunny as well. This week has been the worst. He keeps jumping over a fence that goes into the garden area of the yard due to the neighbors having yard work done. I've had to put him in his kennel because I want to keep him from jumping, running and attacking the fence. 

He he has dermatitis and inflamation in his joints. Maybe a change in his food would help some. We take him in to see the vet about 3 times a year because of his issues. DH has to take him into the vet when he gets some time off. He is about 90lbs and I can't get him into the car myself to get him there. I feel so bad because his poor leg muscle on his left side have diminishied so much. 
  • @Rochelle2012 are you sure it's not your mucus plug?
  • married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Rochelle2012Rochelle2012 member
    edited June 2017
    @BusyZee, yes I'm pretty sure it is that! I know I don't have an infection as I'm weekly at my OB now and we test each time. Instead of it just coming out all at once, I have this nastiness a few times a day. I'm not overly concerned as I know the plugs can regenerate and that it's common but if it continues as badly as it's been, my OB and I will be chatting again next week lol, ICK
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @Poppyseed72017 - poor guy! I can see why you're so concerned since he doesn't seem to even want to put weight on that leg. Baron just kind of walked with a weird gait and like I said, when he's had too much activity he does a bunny hop. I thought Dozer was just in the beginning stages of it but it sounds like it's progressed a bit. I hate seeing dogs get old. Baron is only almost 6 and his muzzle is getting so gray and it breaks my heart to think about losing him one day (even though life would be so much easier and we'd save so much money!! Ha!). 
    Good luck with whatever decisions you have to make for Dozer. 
  • @Poppyseed72017 I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I've been there, and I know what a hard decision you're faced with. Taking any action early feels heartless, but waiting until it's clearly necessary feels cruel. Hugs to you mama. It sounds like you each brought each other new life  <3
  • @Poppyseed72017 I'm sorry to hear about your doggo. DH and I are currently experiencing something similar with ours. It isn't hip displasia, but the equivalent to a tearing ACL.

So I'll post this as my confession too:

Our Zooey has had trouble putting weight on her back left leg for a while now; its been a few months. She's turning 5 years old and is a jumper/sprinter. At first we thought maybe she jumped off of the furniture and landed wrong, so we started limiting her movement and let the vet know. The vet said to give it a few days and if it persists, she needed X-rays done. So we wait, and she seemed to get better. Then DH and I went out to lunch one day and came back home (Zooey was inside while we were gone) and she wasn't putting weight on the leg again. So we took her to the vet to be checked out and to do the X-rays. The vet did both back legs/hips just to be certain of what was going on.

Turns out that both of Zooey's knee ligaments were showing signs of tearing. Her left knee was the worst. The vet told us that it was common for her breed (pit bull mix) to experience major wear and tear on the back knees due to their build and their running, especially when they improperly pivot to turn. She also told us that Zooey could completely tear the left knee at any time, so we really needed to consider surgical repair or we just continue to limit her activity and let her live as is.

DH was heartbroken; Zooey has become like an emotional support dog for him, especially when his anxiety gets really bad. I had talked to a friend who went through with the surgery for her pittie and was told her surgery was $5000! I told DH and we both agreed that we couldn't afford the surgery, but we also hate seeing Zooey unable to really run or walk. DH doesn't want to put her down because she is still so active and we both love her so much, but we also don't want to wait until she starts developing arthritis or other issues due to the way she walks. 

So as of now, Zooey is still not putting total weight on the leg. We give her pain and anti-inflammatory meds when she's really bad. It's hard to tell when she's hurting because she doesn't cry or whimper. She still likes to run and play fetch, but we limit how much running she does. But, because we limit her, she lays down most of the day and has trouble getting up or walking after prolonged rest.
  • @cielaw89 awww! Poor Zooey! Did the vet give you a quote? You could shop around - some vets are sooo much more expensive than others.

We have two excellent hospitals within driving distance (one is about 2 hours. The other about 4). One is a teaching hospital - is there one of those nearby? They might be a little cheaper. 

I totally get not spending that much money - especially with a baby on the way! 
  • @ginger1228 Zooey's vet does not do the surgery. Her vet is through Banfield which is inside most Petsmart stores. Ours is a stand-alone Banfield clinic. My friend who did do the surgery for her dog also goes to a Banfield and she was referred to the other vet for the surgery.

So we would be referred elsewhere for the surgery, which is what we were told already. I will have to look into whether we have any teaching hospitals nearby. We have a little discount card (I think it's 20-25% off total cost) that some vets take, we just need to really research quotes. 
  • Dozer is also a pit bull mix. Limiting his movement is all we can do. Next time we go to the vet I'm sure he will want to get X-rays. He already thought something may be going on with his knee. It's a hard decision to make. Like Zooey he still plays and runs around but I feel those days will soon be diminished. 

Thank you ladies @ginger1228 & @cielaw89

• Dozer is also a pit bull mix. Limiting his movement is all we can do. Next time we go to the vet I'm sure he will want to get X-rays. He already thought something may be going on with his knee. It's a hard decision to make. Like Zooey he still plays and runs around but I feel those days will soon be diminished. 

Sorry if I missed it, is he on any kind of joint supplement? I've seen it work really well for displaysia. 

Since I'm taking Plexus I give my dogs joint supplements, they aren't necessarily for joints but it helps! 
  • mrsla0512 said:
    Dozer is also a pit bull mix. Limiting his movement is all we can do. Next time we go to the vet I'm sure he will want to get X-rays. He already thought something may be going on with his knee. It's a hard decision to make. Like Zooey he still plays and runs around but I feel those days will soon be diminished. 

Sorry if I missed it, is he on any kind of joint supplement? I've seen it work really well for displaysia. 

Since I'm taking Plexus I give my dogs joint supplements, they aren't necessarily for joints but it helps! 
    I noticed a change almost immediately when we put our 8 year old Boston Terrier on a joint supplement. He used to hobble around but we haven't seen him do that since we started it! 
  • @MamaRN13 it really does help!as soon as i became a vet tech I put my dogs on them. One is 2 and the other is 6.
  • @mrsla0512 we have tried putting Zooey on joint supplements, but she won't eat them consistently. We tried slathering them in peanut butter, wrapping them in deli meat, and even crushing them and mixing into her food. We tried pill pockets and she would only eat the pocket lol. She will take them for a day or two fine, and then she refuses any time after.
  • @mrsla0512 We haven't tried that. He is currently taking something for the inflammation that our vet put him on. Are you saying like a supplement I would take for joints? Or would it be one I'd have to ask the vet for. That's is what we will be doing as our next step. Trying to find something to help joint support. I am just afraid we waited too long. 
  • Dogs are so much trouble, aren't they?? I noticed today that my GSD's skin is flaky, which means it's time for the good vet shampoo again. 

I LOVE German Shepherds so much, but I've told H that I don't think I can handle another one with their health problems. Our first one died at age 3 from myasthenia gravis (we had to put him down bc it caused aspiration pneumonia and there was no coming out of it. It was within 2 days of his diagnosis :( ). And this one has health problems that can at least be helped for the most part, but it's so expensive! 

Meanwhile my mixbreed (boxer/pit/something) is the easiest dog in the world. I don't think he's ever even had an ear infection (minus when he has giardia when we got him from the kennel). 
  • @ginger1228 my mom has a GSD mix with really bad seasonal allergies. The poor thing will scratch herself until she's raw and bleeding. Her allergy months are Feb-May, so she's just now starting to calm down from it. We would take her to the vet and they would prescribe steroids and antihistamines to help her; eventually my mom could no longer afford the meds, so she asked if she could just use benadryl. The vet said yeah, so she's been giving her Benadryl whenever her itching season starts up lol. And it's been working for her!

Dogs are so much trouble, but they are such a big part of the family!
  • @cielaw89 - I'm not sure if Baron's allergies have an off season, haha. It's definitely better in winter but he still gets super dry around his mouth. He's on apoquel, which I think is a fairly new allergy medicine. Without it it's soooo much worse and he gets hot spots. These dang GSDs! You're right though - my two boys are such a part of my family. It's stupid how much I love them. 

I should have taken out pet insurance on him. Now an insurance company wouldn't come near him, haha. 

@mrsla0512 - I hate asking people questions when they're not getting paid to answer them, but do you know of any meds for ticks? Everything I've found is just flea/heart worm/other worms. 
  • @ginger1228 Seresto collar
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @GlitterFish - I don't know why I never thought about a collar. I'll look into it - thanks!
  • @cielaw89 sounds like you just have to shove it. My dog is like that, he will eat around the pill and I have to shove it. 

@poppyseed1017 yes you can give him OTC fish oils which will help! You can pop it and put it on his food or if he'll eat it then that's better in capsule form. 

@ginger1228 Bravecto does fleas and ticks for 3 months is about $60-$80 a pill depending on weight and also your location.
  • @ginger1228 we use K9 advantix II which does fleas and ticks. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We use Bravecto for our golden doodle! He loves them since it comes in more of a treat form. 
  • Maybe I'm the crazy dog lady but I'm happy to spend whatever money necessary to make sure my pups are living their best lives  :# I know that the opposite is not what you guys are saying but I guess I can't imagine thinking of my pets as a bother or anything like that. And they do lots of bad stuff and ruin things and cost me tons of money at the vet and with food and treats and all that. Anything inconvenient is just part of being a good pet owner and I'm happy to do it for them because they bring me so much happiness. Shrug. 

• Maybe I'm the crazy dog lady but I'm happy to spend whatever money necessary to make sure my pups are living their best lives  :# I know that the opposite is not what you guys are saying but I guess I can't imagine thinking of my pets as a bother or anything like that. And they do lots of bad stuff and ruin things and cost me tons of money at the vet and with food and treats and all that. Anything inconvenient is just part of being a good pet owner and I'm happy to do it for them because they bring me so much happiness. Shrug. 

Same. But I'm still gonna complain about the cost and trouble they cause! Haha.

I can't say my dogs aren't a bother bc they definitely are. :lol:  They're worth it though!
  • Vets also won't tell you that you can order meds cheaper online. Not prescription obviously but flea meds, supplements, and check with the companies themselves bc they will also do random promotions. I know Trifexis will do buy 6 months and get one free which is a little over $150 for my fat dog, it comes out to each pill being $6 cheaper.