TTC After a Loss
Options

HCG decrease after D&C question and advice

I had a MC the beginning of May for a blighted ovum. I should have been about 9 weeks. I had a D&C 5/5. At the two week check up my doctor said everything looked good (no blood tests or levels checked). I had used OPK about 3 weeks in to see if I was ovulating and then read that you will get positive OPKs if you still have HCG in your system. I've been getting positive HPT ever since (3.5 weeks until now - 5 weeks). They haven't gotten significantly lighter or anything. Is this normal to still have a good amount of HCG or should I be concerned that something else is going on? My doctor didn't say I needed to come back unless of course I was pregnant. I feel like I should have asked when I should get a negative pregnancy test and AF. 

As a disclaimer, we weren't actively trying to get pregnant but there is small possibility of that too. 

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you! 

Re: HCG decrease after D&C question and advice

• Options
    Do you know how far along you actually were?  (like, for mine I was supposed to be like 8 weeks but only measured 5.5 weeks). That could help you try to pinpoint the amount of HCG still in your system. For example, if you only measured 5.5 weeks like I did you shouldn't have as much HCG as if you measured 8 weeks but no HB.
    I never had blood tests to see HCG levels after my first MC and I didn't take any PG tests or OPKs to find out. But hcg levels can definitely influence those tests and your cycles. AF can either return on time for you or it can take like 8 weeks or so. The only thing that's normal after a MC is that there is no normal. 
    Have you been still taking OPKs?  Have they been getting any lighter?  You're still just a month out so it could be the HCG is taking a while to get out of your system. OR it could indicate a problem. Hate to say it, but it's about 50/50 right now. I wouldn't worry though because you're not 'late' in getting AF as per the 'norms' of MC.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    I was about 9 weeks with a blighted ovum where the sac measured at around 6.5 weeks. I got a negative test in about 4 or 5 days after my D&C. I had af about 5 weeks after that. I would closely monitor or call your doctor. You just want to be sure that you don't have any remaining tissue. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MooFish2364 I'm sorry for your loss. I was thinking/worried about the same thing. I didn't think to check on HPT afterwards, so I feel like I don't have a good baseline. Thanks for sharing. That's really helpful 
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    I agree with @MooFish2364 . While there's a possibility of good news that you're pregnant again, the risks associated with retained tissue are high and worth checking on. 

I developed blood clots after my d&e and had to have a repeat surgery to prevent infection and loss of fertility. It was horrible, but not as horrible as losing a tube. Definitely worth contacting your doctor for an ultrasound.

• Options
    adirat said:
     It was horrible, but not as horrible as losing a tube.
    Sorry @adirat I had to giggle at this comment..I can giggle because I did lose a tube! :smiley:
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @Chawk17 Yikes, sorry to hear that! After my d&e I developed a huge blood clot near my left tube. I was totally in denial and wanted to delay a second d&c indefinitely until the doctor told me I was at risk of losing a tube...so yeah. Sign me up for the second surgery.

• Options
    I lost my left. But it was due to being dilated.

• Options
    I had my D&C June 5, so 10 days ago today. Day 8 I tested positive on HCG test. I don't have a check up with my gyno until July 13. I was wondering how quick it would take my levels to drop as well, mine were around the 25000 mark I was 6.6 weeks based on LMP but baby was measuring 8w3d, but my D&C was for heavy bleeding and massive clotting, baby still had a heartbeat :/
  • Options
    I just had a natural miscarriage. The doctor told me I have to go get my hcg level checked next week to see if it's decreasing accordingly and to make sure I've passed all the tissue and there is no chance of infection. (She made it sound like it should decrease quickly).  With my first miscarriage, my hcg was below 5 within a week and a half. 

I'm not sure if it's any different for a d&c versus a natural, but I would definitely contact your doctor.
  • Options
    After my D&C I got my period exactly 31 days later.  Not sure when I ovulated.  But, the next cycle I ovulated at CD15 right as usual. 
  • Options
    justsuzie said:
    After my D&C I got my period exactly 31 days later.  Not sure when I ovulated.  But, the next cycle I ovulated at CD15 right as usual. 
    I'm hoping I get my cycle that soon. I had my D&C June 5 
  • Options
    After my d&c I had my HCG levels checked after about a month and they were just above 5. D&c at 9 weeks, baby measured 8w5d. I got my 6 weeks after the surgery (to the day).
    Me: 27, DH: 26
    Married November 24, 2015
    TTC since November 2016
    BFP: January 11,2017, MMC: February 19, 2017 at 9 weeks
    TTCAL since March 2017
    BFP: July 30, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Anniversary
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    @SCK2411 I'm thinking my levels will take as long as yours did. Did you know what your hcg levels were when you went in ? I was 6.6 weeks based on LMP but baby was measuring 8.3 weeks.
    my levels were 25000 and still rising. I had my D&C June 5, so almost 2 weeks.
  • Options
    @valley498 - I would be concerned and push to get your HCG monitored. FWIW, my doctors didn't want to or think it was necessary but I insisted and I ended up going through well, everything in my signature. (MMC August, D&C in september, HCG still elevated in NOVEMBER because there was still RPOC. Within a week of hysteroscopic removal of the RPOC, my HCG was zero.)
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    BFP#1 - 7.1.16, (mo-di twins + singleton) due 3.15.17
    MC singleton - 7.13.16 - 5w
    MMC identical twins - 8.5.16 - 8w+2d
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
    Hysteroscopy - 11.21.16 - Retained tissue filling half of uterus removed, blocked left tube, benched for 2 cycles, on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days
    HSG - 2.7.17 - Asherman's Syndrome. Both tubes open.
    Hysteroscopy 2.13.17 - Incomplete adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days. At least two more surgeries needed...
    Hysteroscopy 3.21.17 - Adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days.
    TTCAL #1: 4.24.17
    Hysteroscopy 5.23.17 - Scars reformed. Adhesiolysis. Unsure what to do next...
    Fertility acupuncture - started 6.13.17
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for all of your experiences, but thank you for sharing. Turns out I have some HCG leftover in my system (7 weeks from the d&c). I don't know what my HCG level was at the time of the D&C, but it was 191 last week and they have had me go in every other day to test because the levels are going down so slowly. Depending on how it looks this week will determine the next steps. @weareturtles like you experienced, they mentioned some concern of RPOC. It's tough to move on mentally when your body isn't there yet I guess. Hopefully we get this figured out soon so we can try again. 
  • Options
    @vally498 - I highly recommend a hysteroscopy to help figure this out! Don't go for another D&C!
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    BFP#1 - 7.1.16, (mo-di twins + singleton) due 3.15.17
    MC singleton - 7.13.16 - 5w
    MMC identical twins - 8.5.16 - 8w+2d
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
    Hysteroscopy - 11.21.16 - Retained tissue filling half of uterus removed, blocked left tube, benched for 2 cycles, on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days
    HSG - 2.7.17 - Asherman's Syndrome. Both tubes open.
    Hysteroscopy 2.13.17 - Incomplete adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days. At least two more surgeries needed...
    Hysteroscopy 3.21.17 - Adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days.
    TTCAL #1: 4.24.17
    Hysteroscopy 5.23.17 - Scars reformed. Adhesiolysis. Unsure what to do next...
    Fertility acupuncture - started 6.13.17