May 2017 Moms

Oliver Tyberius!

Finally getting on the laptop to write our birth story. :) 

I woke up around 12:45am May 17th with stronger cramping that I had previously been having. I tried to go back to sleep but realized they were starting to come more frequently, so I started to use the app I have to track them. I did that for about 2 hours because I wasn't really sure if I was using the app correctly! haha H then woke up around 2:30 or so and asked if i was okay. I pretty much was like I'm not sure, I'm having these cramps that are coming more often, I guess they are contractions...so we decided to go to the hospital since we are about 45 minutes away just in case I was in labor. If not, then we would just go to my parents house who are about 15 minutes from the hospital. Anyway, we got there around 3:30-3:45 and they hooked me up to the monitors and told me my app was correct and I was about 4 minutes apart, 2-3 cm and 80% effaced (progress from Monday's appointment). So, they told me to hang tight and were going to monitor me for an hour and if I had progressed then they would admit me. Well, the contractions started getting stronger and closer together, they checked and I was 4 cm so they decided to admit me. Here's where the fun began! 

Barely in the room and I'm in horrible pain. I just wanted the IV hooked up so I could get the drugs they said would help "take the edge off" until I was further along and would get the epidural. The nurse was ridiculous! She said she couldn't find a good vein and didn't want to put the IV in so she went around trying to find someone else to do it, but came back and said everyone was busy (awesome!). Plus it was the last hour of her shift...ugh...so, she finally gets the IV in my right hand, where I didn't want it, but oh well, and she tells me okay its not that great of a spot so don't move much. Really? Don't move much? I'm in labor lady! So I'm squeezing H's hand with my left and trying to keep my right still. Finally get the drugs and they do nothing! I kept feeling sick like I was going to vomit so they gave me something for that as well. The new nurses came in and started monitoring me and did a check because my contractions were still getting closer and stronger and I really wanted to get the epidural. I was 8-9cm dilated and pretty much 100% effaced, but my water hadn't broken. They told me the anesthesiologist was in an emergency cs so he would be there as soon as he could. By the time he showed up I was in so much pain and just wanted to push. They said I could still get it if I could sit up, yeah that wasn't happening. Plus he had a freaked out look on his face like why am I hear if she wants to push haha Needless to say, he left and I didn't get my epidural! They called my doctor and she was on her way. I want to say that was around 7:30ish am. Not entirely sure. All I knew was I wanted him out! They told me I couldn't push because the didn't want the bag of waters to bulge or something like that. I don't really remember what they said, plus my doctor wasn't there yet. She finally got there around 7:45 and I was like I really need to push! He's got to come out! I remember repeatedly saying "I just want him out! Please just get him out!" lol I was able to start pushing and they all had to remind me to breathe and to slow down my breathing. Even though we had all of those classes and they taught us how to breathe, its like it all went out the window! But, I did listen and would slow down and push when they told me and all that jazz. My doctor was fantastic! She talked me through what was happening and the "ring of fire" I would feel when his head was coming out. She asked if I wanted to feel his head and I just remember saying "Nope, I want him out!" You really don't have much control over what you say or do! Anyway, about 20 minutes of pushing and Ollie arrived at 8:09am! About 8 hours of labor and we had a 7 lbs 15 oz and 19.5 inches perfect baby boy :) 

Oh, and here's probably the funniest part! H kept updating my mom and his mom, but once labor started and it was seriously go time he couldn't respond. My mom kept calling and texting, but obviously he couldn't answer. So, she was panicking and called the hospital!! They told her they didn't have a patient by my name and she was like no she's there they were just admitting her. They finally found me and they transferred her to my room. They had literally just put Ollie on my chest with the umbilical cord still attached! H answered the phone and tried telling her Ollie just came out and she didn't believe him and made him put me on the phone. I just kept saying I can't hear you and telling H to take a picture and send it! Ollie finally cried and she believed! Neither of them will let each other live that down! 

After all of that, we were moved to our room about an hour or so later after doing skin to skin and the first breast feeding attempt. later in the day, we were told we had to move rooms because the one we were in was under construction, but the nurse thought it was done. It was a nice expensive suite too that we didn't have to pay for, but oh well! They hooked us up with a bunch of stuff because of that which was nice :) Then turns out a woman from our Lamaze classes that I've kept in contact with delivered her baby boy that night and was put in that room because they had ran out of rooms! Too funny! 

The rest was your typical hospital stay, except the day we were being discharged. H went to take Stella home because she wasn't happy with my parents and their new puppy. On his way, the battery died in my car on the freeway and he had to walk 2-3 miles to the nearest store to get a battery! A wonderful unexpected expense! So many unexpected things while in the hospital and everyone just kept coming in at once and it was very overwhelming, so adding that on top of it was just the icing on the cake! But, he made it back and we made it home that afternoon :) 

I feel like I rambled a lot telling that story, but that's how I remember everything! It went so quickly! As a FTM everyone was so surprised I went that fast! They kept telling me that my next would be like a 4-5 hour labor! I better live closer to the hospital if that's the case! 

Thanks for reading! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin

Re: Oliver Tyberius!