June 2017 Moms
Options

Walk it out! Exercise check in

What's everyone doing these days? What's working, what's uncomfortable? Anything special exercise-wise you are doing to prep for labor?

Re: Walk it out! Exercise check in

• Options
    mombodmombod member
    Ive been walking a lot including a 5k walk at work. Also attempting a squat challenge where you add 25 squats a day but it's getting too much so I'm just sticking to 50-100 squats and then deep squats, pelvic rocks, and lots of stretching. Soaking in epsom salt baths seems to be warding off most of the soreness.
    Tomorrow I am having a yoga on the beach party with my girlfriends to celebrate my 30th birthday on Monday. I will be 38+3 tomorrow.
    Curious what others are doing to prep their body and hoping to take some tips to add a little variety to all the walking.
  • Options
    I'm struggling to do anything outside of walking. But we walk a lot... my DS1 just got his first bike so I waddle around the block at least 5 times a day. Yoga on the beach sounds A-mazing right now though! I miss the beach soooo much!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mtvkv5mtvkv5 member
    I stopped going to the gym 2 weeks ago... I'm 37+6 today. On weekends DH and I try to get out and do some activities that require a lot of walking though. Going to a car show this weekend.
  • Options
    Been doing A LOT of walking on the weekends chasing DS around rec and theme parks for hours. It's helped keep sciatica at bay and giving me the best sleep at night. Also am on my feet a lot at work, but have slowed down a bit mainly because I'm a super klutz now and hate bending over to pick stuff up :)

Looking forward to hopping on my new treadmill after LO gets here like I did with DS and get some (if not all) of this 40lbs off by my good friend's wedding Labor Day weekend.

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    I am SO looking forward to getting back into running! I don't know if it'll happen this summer (LO won't be old enough for me to run with him yet and I don't have a double jogger yet anyway) but definitely by next year.
    I've been walking quite a lot and it does help with the sciatica. However it's becoming much harder to deal with the cramps, pressure and BH that come with exercise. I'm hoping to take DS to the zoo one more time before baby arrives (sometime in the next 5 days!) but I don't know if I can any more! :disappointed:
  • Options
    Also does having a crappy attitude and arguing count as exercise today
  • Options
    Went for a walk today for the first time in a long time. My midwife has been encouraging it and says it helps move the baby into the optimal birthing position. I walked two miles, and I probably should have done a little shorter. My pelvis was hurting toward the end. 
  • Options
    @ladylolly89 @neludelu You've probably mentioned this before so forgive my crappy memory, but how old are your other kids? I would love to get a double jogger, I just don't see DS (3, almost 4) sitting in there long enough to get a decent walk/jog/run in. With the price tag of BOBs I'm scared to take the plunge!

As for my exercise, right now I'm just trying to get in short nightly walks with DH and DS. Looking forward to getting back to exercise that actually makes me sweat!
  • Options
    @GoodWitchoftheNorth DS is 13 months, so even next year it will be totally worth it to get the double jogger! I'll probably try to get it this fall though. I really don't want to wait until next spring. 
  • Options
    @ladylolly89 @neludelu You've probably mentioned this before so forgive my crappy memory, but how old are your other kids? I would love to get a double jogger, I just don't see DS (3, almost 4) sitting in there long enough to get a decent walk/jog/run in. With the price tag of BOBs I'm scared to take the plunge!

As for my exercise, right now I'm just trying to get in short nightly walks with DH and DS. Looking forward to getting back to exercise that actually makes me sweat!
    We got our single bob for dd when she was 3.5, right before we got our positive. She loves it! And she's not big on our regular stroller. We're not getting a double though because she's almost too tall for it. By the time she's out of it baby will be ready for it. 
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    I love my single BOB. I got it used and for a steal. If I can find a double used I will absolutely try to grab it even though DS is over 2. They are so easy to push, steer, and use on multiple surfaces. I don't feel like I can justify the cost of new.
  • Options
    I would like to find a bike trailer but, again, they're so freaking expensive! Why do they make it so expensive to work out with your kids?
  • Options
    BOB jogging strollers are great, especially if you have no sidewalks and have to walk on dirt roads like we do.   My DD used ours until she was over 4 years old and next year I will use it for this baby.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Options

I found an open box deal on Amazon. I got the 2016 Bob Dullie for $400. I found the car seat adapter for $60. The thought of being stuck in the house all summer made me queasy so it was well worth the splurge for me. 
  • Options
    Back to the "walk it out" topic, I walked 4 miles last Tuesday and went into labor several hours afterward. I think it probably helped. I had walked frequently throughout my pregnancy  (usually1-2 miles several times per week). I had also been having BH contractions every 5 minutes for over a week and was 39+5. The bad news was, when I went into L&D I was only 2cm dialated and they had me walk for an hour to see if I would progress more before admitting me. 
  • Options
    Does chasing around two toddlers count as exercise?  Cause.... that is pretty much it for me these days.  I find if I exert myself too much (as I did with activity level this weekend), than my back injury acts up and I can barely walk or get comfortable from the pain for a 24 hour period after.  Anyone use a maternity support belt?  Do you find it helps a lot or just a little?  I expect to go past my due date, so I might invest in it even though it is late in the game.  Plus I plan on having more kids so I figure it wouldn't go to waste. 
  • Options
    H and I went fishing on our little boat yesterday. So helping him carry it down a steep trail and hauling stuff down. Some good exercise there! Yesterday, I was also feeling like the BH were changing. Getting slightly painful and just ... feeling different. Just over 38 weeks. Would love this baby to come early! It would make it so much easier to have extra time with the baby before our planned trip over July 4. 
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    @Elyse1384 I stopped using the maternity belt bc I read somewhere after 37 weeks it can prevent the baby from dropping low into the pelvis. I only used it for running so not sure it would really matter. 
  • Options
    I did some leg stretches in the pool on Monday. I didn't work very hard, but I think it did something. I have been warned by my yoga teacher that submerging yourself in the pool can disengage the head so if you're really ready to get the baby out, don't try this at home. I'm ambivalent. I'd rather get some exercise than nothing at all.

I also do slow yoga once a week. I quit the fast yoga two weeks ago.
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker