August 2017 Moms

FFFC 6/2

Let's see some potentially flame worthy confessions

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: FFFC 6/2

• I'm a little excited to have the house to myself for 2 weeks while DH is at a recruiting school. Yeah I'll miss him but I won't have to listen to him playing battlefield for two weeks lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Im in denial that I will have a newborn in less than 12 weeks and already worried about how to handle a newborn and a toddler.
  • @lewliv from my own experience, you learn by doing. It will be challenging, tiring and frustrating at times, but so so worth it!
  • lewliv said:
    @nimmunogirl I have no idea how to take care of an infant. The fact that I'll have one in the blink of an eye is scary. 
    Same. I hope my hospital's "understanding your newborn" class will help. For some reason, the two things that freak me out are bathing the kid and making sure she doesn't overheat or freeze. For the latter at least, I hear rule of thumb is to dress the kid in the same amount of layers you're comfortable with. So, that's a start. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 with my first baths really stressed me out, so it became daddy and daughter time. Realistically, they are not getting sweaty and dirty when they are itty bitty, so wiping them down with a cloth is usually enough :) and as far as clothing, depends on how you like your temperature. I get hot during pregnancy and during post partum last time, so I did moms layer +1. 
  • When DD was a newborn, I exclusively brought her into the shower with me for her "bath time". Other than her first bath in the hospital, I don't think she had another bath in a tub until she was almost a year. I'd keep the water warm (not hot, obviously), I'd squish a cloth over her so she didn't have to be in the direct shower spray, and then when she was done I'd pass her off to DH who would get her diaper and jammies on. Then I'd crank the heat and take my own shower! 

My ILs hated that I did that, but it was my own comfort level. I was less comfortable trying to bathe her in a bathtub. Plus, skin to skin! 
  • When DD was a newborn, I exclusively brought her into the shower with me for her "bath time". Other than her first bath in the hospital, I don't think she had another bath in a tub until she was almost a year. I'd keep the water warm (not hot, obviously), I'd squish a cloth over her so she didn't have to be in the direct shower spray, and then when she was done I'd pass her off to DH who would get her diaper and jammies on. Then I'd crank the heat and take my own shower! 

I did this with dd1 all the time. Except I'd hop out and wrap her in a towel and put her in the rnp right out the shower so I could take my shower. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• If I feel the slightest bit constipated, I make some strong coffee. Ain't nobody got time for that. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine is that I really wish I had scaled way, way back on our wedding and done something even simpler and more us. I got caught up in and then overwhelmed by wedding planning with trying to make sure I did everything you're "supposed" to do. While we really did have a beautiful wedding- I wouldn't do much of it the same way if I had had the gift of 20/20 hindsight.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 I am hoping that class is good too!! I heard about clothing it was your layers +1. But I am always cold and DH is always hot. So what then? i can be in pants, a shirt, hoodie and be cold while DH is in shorts and a t-shirt. 

@nxy cat trolls is now a legit thing...i will be using as much as possible...
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Confession- I had an awesome troll doll collection as a kid. I miss them. I don't really understand the "outfit" on the troll in the picture above though... 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Mango517 Sometimes I'm sad that I don't have a big group of friends or a big family that hangs out all the time (most of my family lives out of town), but I loved our small wedding. We saved money and had a blast with karaoke for the reception.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What is the opposite of "crunchy"? Cause that's me.

I have tried, and failed, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm the "hot mess mom" and I'm okay with it! 

I love my kids fiercely and they're happy and healthy...and I still have my sanity. Most days.
  • @AdvoCyndi30 creamy? Like peanut butter. 

To quote Bruno Mars, I'm smoother than a fresh jar of skippy. 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @Mango517 I agree on the would've-done-the-wedding-differently thing. We just celebrated our 1 year anniversary and went back to our venue on my favorite lake for a night. I love it up there so I don't really know what I would change, but having this LO just makes the wedding seem so much less important than I thought it was at the time (and I was a very chill bride).

@smallbutmighty77 I had heard the same thing about layers +1 and been confused because DH and I are just like you and your DH. I figure somewhere in between is normal so +1 means to dress baby in as many layers as I'm in, I guess?

My confession is that I already had more than enough crib sheets I'd been able to find on clearance (5) and forgot to take the rest off the registry. Just got 2 more from a friend in the mail as a shower gift but they're nice burts bee's organic ones I love and I kind of want to keep them.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I like "AW" posts with pictures and hope people share pictures of their showers or shoots. I love when pictures are included in a post. Not in a creepy way though, I feel like I sounded a tad creepy. But I like visuals, and I'm too lazy to always search different things. For example, I looooove the Lil Helpers diapers as a company and cloth diaper set up, and it was someone on here posting a picture of their diapers that sold me and got me interested enough to look into it more, because I was overwhelmed with the cloth diaper discussion at first. Also, I love the meme and gif responses for the same reason. I hate that I can't use as many emojis on here, cause I love those too.
  • I like "AW" posts with pictures and hope people share pictures of their showers or shoots. I love when pictures are included in a post. Not in a creepy way though, I feel like I sounded a tad creepy. But I like visuals, and I'm too lazy to always search different things. For example, I looooove the Lil Helpers diapers as a company and cloth diaper set up, and it was someone on here posting a picture of their diapers that sold me and got me interested enough to look into it more, because I was overwhelmed with the cloth diaper discussion at first. Also, I love the meme and gif responses for the same reason. I hate that I can't use as many emojis on here, cause I love those too.
    I agree, I like those posts too. I have had my shower and would like to post some pics, but I don't know where to put it. I saw someone recently started a shower post but was then quickly told there "already is a shower post"... but I couldn't find it!
  • NxyNxy member
    @erindippity I don't mind AW posts from regular/semi regular posters. If we'd recognize the username and you put AW in the title go for it. The issue most people have with this is that it opens up the door for weird random people to pop in and AW and I really dislike that.
    It's like the ultrasound post, ok I'm happy your baby is healthy because I'm not an asshole but why would you post it if you don't interact with people here? It's weird.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    @LeA2017! You commented on the shower thread.. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nxy said:
    @LeA2017! You commented on the shower thread.. 
    Thanks for the tag. I thought of that post as a more general question thread. But I will add something there. Thanks!
  • I thought of this FFFC when I was responding to the GTKY. I don't see anything wrong with getting a baby's ears pierced. I've had my ears pierced since I was 5 months. LO will be my 2nd DS but if I had a DD I would probably get her ears pierced at 6 months.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• tova24tova24 member
    @britvahok my sister and I got our ears pierced at birth (like 4-6 months old). My dad is from India, and in Indian culture this something that is just normal. 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @britvahok I'm not opposed to piercing a baby's ears but I probably will wait for any daughters to ask. I was always allowed to get whatever I wanted done (although I never pushed it so maybe there was a line) and I think that kept me from going overboard. Also, having to take them out for sports really inhibited the healing so earlier is probably better.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @britvahok DD would already have her ears pierced if my DH wasn't so against it. 
  • lewlivlewliv member
    @britvahok I got my ears pierced at the hospital soon after I was born. :o That was common practice  in Brazil back then. Now I think people wait until kids are at least 2 months old. 
  • NxyNxy member
    britvahok said:
    I thought of this FFFC when I was responding to the GTKY. I don't see anything wrong with getting a baby's ears pierced. I've had my ears pierced since I was 5 months. LO will be my 2nd DS but if I had a DD I would probably get her ears pierced at 6 months.
    I was thinking about this too. I had mine done when I was tiny and now the holes are really, really crooked. I plan on waiting for DD to ask. I don't think it's damaging to have them done early though. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kvh22 I feel like you can never have too many crib sheets. They get snot, pee, spit up, you name it on there. 
  • As stated in the GTKY, I didn't get my ears pierced until I was in my 20s. I never felt like I "needed" them done or like I was "missing out" not having them done. Saved lots of money too since I wasn't always buying new earrings. I'm sure we won't have DD's pierced for a long time. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• lewlivlewliv member
    Although I have mine pierced since I was born I never wear earrings. I barely wear jewelry at all. I haven't worn my engagement ring since the day I got married. If the baby is a girl I won't be piercing her ears until she asks for it.
  • I got mine pierced when I was 5. I had to be old enough to take care of them (mostly).  I don't think I changed them out much when I was a kid. I chose to use my money to get my second holes when I was 12. I still, to this day, don't change out my earrings often, and I always have to buy sterling silver. I like the look of earrings, but I don't think its needed to do it to a baby. It doesn't hurt that badly, so I would let any future daughter of mine choose when she wanted it done. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • clairemwalkerclairemwalker member
    edited June 2017
    Sorry if im classes as a lurker rather then a regular, this pregnancy is just very boring (in an awesome uncomplicated way), and by the time i get on here people usually have enough answers to their questions that my 2c isnt isually needed! @nimmunogirl i am terrified of having a newborn and a toddler also. To the point that i decided that getting pregnant so quickly was a stupid idea (maybe ffc. My official FFC for the week - i actually miss peoples silly/Maybe a little TMI or slightly irrelevant dramas. The petty side of me definitely misses having something to ogle about, but also in truth i never actually minded peoples slightly odd or TMI questions. It kept life interesting. The excpetion is the cramping/spotting posts on first tri. I know that its scary and you want some comfort, but seriously? I feel lile every second post since the dawn of TB on the first tri board is asking about either cramping/spotting or hcg levels. Do a search people! Lol - maybe this was a vent too! Haa. Edited cause spelling is hard