May 2017 Moms

Second guessing breastfeeding

As I lay here, in the middle of the night with my 5 day old DD cluster feeding for the last 3 hours, coming off the breast crying cuz there's nothing left, remind me again why "the breast is best".

Re: Second guessing breastfeeding

• Loading the player...
  • Who are you!?!

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • My milk hadn't fully come in by 5 days. I'm 22 days past delivery now, and I've exclusively breastfed my baby boy. He's gaining weight well, but I was worried at first, like you are. A wonderful lactation consultant showed me how to do hand compressions on my breasts as he fed. She said that would give him 30% more at each feeding. You could hear his loud gulps when I did this. Maybe look up some videos or read about compressions and give that a try. 
  • Sorry, I post on so many boards, I thought that I had intro'd myself on this forum. I'm 38 and I just had my second LO, first was a DS, with whom I breastfed for 5 months until we found out he had a dairy and egg allergy. I've done this before, but DS started at the "normal" 5:00 and went on from there, this time around DD isn't starting until 10:30 or so and I'm just beat. She has been going until 3/4am.  Hope that helps. :)
  • Yes, my milk has come in...cane in on day 3. I believed she had been clustering but tonight after a Cooke attempts to nurse, I attempted to offfer skin to skin time...it worked and I was able to get some sleep. However, after a little more than a hour later and she was back to yelling and crying. I tried to offer it again but ate wanted no part of it and when I finality amped to make contact with me, it was DD banging her head against my chest like a chicken finding feed on the ground.
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @melissa11015: That's tough! Hang in there, mama!
  • Shoot... I missed my MOTN pump session, which is stupid since I was awake feeding DS a bottle. I was just so tired I slept through the alarm I set. Hopefully I can make up for it today
  • I'm also finding it really challenging that I am missing things...especially things with my 2 1/2 year old because I'm stuck in a chair and nursing. It's just such a change from when I had my first-DS was the only thing that mattered and now I'm working through the adjustment that I want to give him the same attention but I'm also wanting to give my new DD the same attention that DS got in the beginning of his life. It's just such an adjustment!
  • Same here, ladies. I've been missing my time with my 22 month old. MH is great and reminds me of what you have already stated- just a phase, this boy deserves the same attention too, etc. But still...  :'(

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @chailife34 I'd be sad too, if I had to supplement. I almost had to in the hospital. At least we have the option of formula. It's much better than a hungry baby or a failure to thrive baby. 

Both my sisters breastfed one child and formula fed the other. I don't see any noticeable difference in the health of the kids now that they are older.
  • We supplemented with my first...same problem. My supply was low and came in late and DS lost too much weight. It actually was a good thing because it made switching to a bottle, when BF-ing  was done, so much easier. Hope that helps make it easier. :)