January 2018 Moms
Options

VBAC

Hey all!

I know there's a thread about births but nothing specific about VBACs, thought I'd start one since I feel really passionate about having a successful one and I imagine other mommas who want them feel the same.

Anywho, where do you plan to give birth? Is your OB VBAC friendly? Was it hard getting your SO on board? I'm interested in everyone's game plan and research. 

I actually made my DH watch The Business of Being Born to get him on board. We noticed I just went through the hospital ringer and didn't get to take charge of my birth. They put me on pitocin right away and it progressively just got worse as time went on. I pushed for 2.5 hours then opted for a CS because I was exhausted and DS' HR was dropping. Overall, I would consider my CS pretty traumatic.

I feel like a VBAC is my redemption (not in the "I didn't give birth" type of way) and it's statically safer than a RCS (technically speaking for a healthy pregnancy), with better recovery times. I need those things as a mom-to-be of a newborn and toddler. My OB who did my CS also told me she thought I was a good candidate for one.

So here's what I've planned so far: if I get approved, I will be doing a water birth at a birthing center with a midwife (and maybe doula). Completely unmedicated because my epi didn't even work last time so I know I can survive contractions. 

Tell me about yours!

Re: VBAC

• Options
    My first was a c section.   Second was a vbac in the same practice, third was a vbac in another state, and with four Im back in the same state as 1 and 2.   While my practice with 1 and 2 did do a vbac and said they were vbac friendly, I would say they are far from vbac friendly.   There were 4 drs and you got whoever was on call and only 2 would do a vbac.    They also didnt allow you to go beyond 40 weeks and required a lot of testing that the ACOG does not recommend for vbac (per the midwife and ob team I had for number 3).  
    So, I wont be going there for number 4.    The problem is, my town has 8 OBs and 4 are in that practice and only one other does vbacs.   She does come highly recommended and my friend that is an L and D nurse recommends her.  My appointment isnt for another few weeks so I havent been able to talk to her in person.    If this doesnt work out Ill have to look about 30 minutes north (in good weather), which isnt ideal since my husband had to convince me yo leave for the hospital wirh number 3 and she was born 45 minutes after arriving.  
  • Options
    Oh, and I will say that really asking questions is important.   Not just do you allow vbac, but what is your specific policy.  Do they allow you to go beyond  40 weeks?  What testing do they require?  Will they fo augmentation of labor of necessary before a repeat c section?  For example, we have two hospitals in my town.   Both allow vbacs.  But one requires that the OB be in your room from admission to delivery.  Our OBs are on call at both hospitals at the same time so it is impossible.     Even if you were the only woman delivering that day, its unreasonable to expect the ob to sit in your room from admission on.    It could take hours for a woman to fully progress and thats hours that an ob could be working on discharging, doing rounds, eating a meal, etc.  So both hospitals allow vbacs, but only one has a policy that ACTUALLY allows vbacs. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm cautiously hoping for a VBAC this time. I don't consider my c-section traumatic but my sons birth went a lot like OP's - pitocin after the epidural, a couple hours of pushing w/o progress, eventually opted for the C due to exhaustion + concerns about baby's HR. (The doctor said I could push for 2 more hours if I wanted to but would probably still need a C in the end... I did not want to.)
    However my OB has said if Thing 2 gets as big as Thing 1 was (9lbs3oz) I might well have the same problem. She didn't get into a lot of detail but said they have a "low bar" for what triggers an RCS instead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    cbutler0045cbutler0045 member
    edited May 2017
    I'm trying for a VBAC this time around. My midwife is my MIL and even though she doesn't know I'm pregnant yet, she is one of the most recommended people for VBACs in the state. However, she doesn't feel like I'll be able to do it if I have a baby the same size as my DS (8 lbs 11 oz) so I'm really trying to watch my diet this time and hoping for a smaller  baby. 

My first birth was not the experience I wanted at all. I was induced (totally my choice) and the baby did not want to come. I could have waited a few more hours to see if he was going to progress but I also had the worst epidural experience. I jerked and they missed the right spot and I was in a state of paralysis. I wouldn't talk, move my arms, and barely knew what was going on. I also had to have the meds injected about every 30 minutes and every time my pulse would drop drastically and I was very sick to my stomach. During my csection, I threw up the entire time and was so drugged afterwards that I could barely remember the first moments of my sons life. 

Hoping that we all get the vbacs we want want and I can't wait to hear everyone's stories!

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I'd like to have a VBAC, because recovering from abdominal surgery sucks! But after my last birth, I know better than to be rigid about my birth plan. Birth is so unpredictable! As long as everyone goes home alive, I'll be happy. But I *really* hope I can have a VBAC. I found this fantastic article with suggestions on how to prepare for a VBAC with nutrition, exercise, teas, and supplements. Next time I see my doctor I'm going to ask her about everything mentioned here.

https://findyourbalancehealth.com/2014/04/my-vbac-success-plan/

My first was delivered by emergency c-section after a placental abruption. Our son's unusual genetic condition caused polyhydramnios (high amniotic fluid), which made an abruption more likely. If this baby is healthy, an abruption is unlikely to happen again. 

I was induced at 41w 5d after failing to go into spontaneous labor, and he was born 30 hours later. I only dilated to 6 cm. I don't feel traumatized by my c-section, or feel like it was a failure. There were so many other circumstances that WERE traumatic: We knew he would be having open heart surgery shortly after he was born, and I gave birth 1000 miles from home so we could be at the best pediatric cardiology hospital in the world. The experience wasn't about me, my vanity, or my goals. It was about bringing our son into the world--ALIVE.

But recovering from abdominal surgery SUCKS. Did I mention that? Lol!
  • Options
    I had an emergency C/S with my first after baby wouldn't descend and I developed a uterine infection. My MFM for my second child was very VBAC friendly and even induced me. There weren't any policies about it - they said it was up to me. I did try to increase my chances of a VBAC by working out a lot during my second pregnancy and trying to get baby to come down some (squats!). I don't know if it helped but it made me feel more in control.

My VBAC was awesome - induced at 9 AM, epidural at 1 PM, baby born at 5:30 PM after a half hour of pushing. Hoping for a similar experience with number 3. 
  • Options
    @cbutler0045 and @bainidhedub, check out this article. 

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

OP, your story sounds just like my BFF's. She's working with a MW through a birthing center this time around, who is optimistic BFF will be successful with her VBAC in September. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @BelhurstBride That was a fascinating read, thanks for the link!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    My biggest piece of advice would be to ask questions.    Ask why.  Ask for the research.   Do not be afraid to ask these questions, the provider is working for you and you hsve every right to take your birth elsewhere.   What was common practice or believed to be best practice when your provider was licensed may not be today.   For example, the bigger baby concerns mentioned above used to be believed as best practice, but new research and technology has shown that this is an issue for a truly small (like 2%) of the population.  ACOG best practice is to currently allow for TOLAC in those scenerios (and as anecdotal evidence, my 5ft 110 ob cousin delivered 4 9+ lb babies vaginally, being too small is rare).    
    There are lots of peer reviewed, evidence based articles available on the ACOG's website and in healrh journals that you can present to and discuss with your provider.  These will get you a lot further with your provider than blogs, although the citations on blogs can also provide a wealth of information.  Best of luck! 
  • Options
    jackmamjackmam member
    edited May 2017
    I'd like to try to vbac after 4csec....I've done extensive research and never had complications, only repeats after 1st being breech. It's been 5 years since my last so we'll see what dr. says
  • Options
    My first was a CS, because baby got his head stuck (trying to come out forehead first). I was made to stop pushing because they said if I continued it would likely break his neck. 
    Im hoping for a natural birth this time (no drugs, vaginally) I was told during recovery that I would likely be a good candidate for VBAC so I'm not really making plans yet. Just hoping ! 
  • Options
    Kezzy44Kezzy44 member
    I am very interested in vbac and whether or not it's worth trying with #2. With my first, I was induced at 40w5d after my water ruptured (not broke completely). I labored for 29 hours, developed a fever, and never progressed passed 8cm. Dr was not pushy, but said I was just too exhausted (i's been awake for over 36 hours at that point!) The surgery itself was something that scares me going in again. I have a lot of questions for my dr. I have no idea if anyone in the practice does vbac or not.

My biggest fear though is going through everything again only to end up with another csection in the end. 

Id appreciate revisiting this topic, I have so many questions! If only we could have a crystal ball to know what is best!
  • Options
    KLake42KLake42 member
    Just chiming in to say that my best friend did VBAC with her 2nd, water birth at home with a midwife, and it was everything she wanted.

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    I'm hoping for a TOLAC but I'm staying flexible. I refuse to be induced again so if it is that or rcs...rcs all day. I'm high risk and AMA so those work against me. I have the utmost faith in my OB and will go with his best judgment. I tend to be very risk adverse when it comes to medical practices due to my husband's occupation and training. 
  • Options
    I am hoping to do a VBAC for my second delivery. I ended up with a CS due to long labor, a failed epidural and then DS was in stress. We later found out he had his cord around his neck. The nurse told me it would probably be 2-3 hours until I was 10 cm and then another 2+ hours of pushing. At that point I was done, worried about DS and in so much pain we decided to do the CS. My CS was fine, I was shaking the whole time so that sucked when they tried to let me hold DS. But my recovery was amazing, no complications and I actually went on a very mild jog at 4 weeks pp.  

I do want a VBAC because I do want to experience giving birth that way. But mainly I think it will be harder to recover with a toddler who loves to cuddle and is very rambunctious and we are now in a two story house vs. the ranch we were in before.. 

I will be going back to my original OB who fully supports VBACs and does't think I will have any issue with it this time. 
    BFP #1 1/4/14  |  Diagnosed with Trisomy 13 at 12 weeks 3/6/14  |  MMC 3/21/14  |   D&C 3/24/14
    BFP #2 7/1/14  |  DS born March 2015
    BFP#3 5/22/17 | MC 6/17/17 at 7w3d
  • Options
    I am just really hoping for a nice VBAC with no emergencies this time. 

My first birth was an emergency c-section. He was breech and I went in at around 37 weeks for an appointment for a version to try and turn him around. Well we didn't even get to try because before they do the massage they monitor the baby for awhile to make sure he could handle being massaged and turned etc. During monitoring they noticed his heart rate would dip and come back up. It happened multiple times over a few hours and then they admitted us and wanted to monitor over night. It was mid-afternoon at this point, I was moved to a room and was settled in watching TV. All of a sudden nurses and doctors rush in and start telling me to turn this way and that etc. My son's heart rate dropped and didn't come back up. Doctor said let's go, we're taking him out now. It ended up that something weird was happening with his umbilical cord being twisted. 

Anyway, it was scary at the time and I'm so thankful that the nurses and doctors monitored me so close and took action and were so supportive and calming for me during the whole thing. The actual procedure and recovery wasn't bad at all, though I wouldn't opt for abdominal surgery it if wasn't necessary. 
  • Options
    My first was a naturally delivery with A LOT of complications. He was bigger then expected, he was only estimated to be 7.5-8 lbs... he was born 9.7. He ended up with shoulder dystocia, broken left clavicle and some nerve damage on his left side. My 2nd pregnancy I wanted to do another vaginal, but when I was 8 cms they realized baby was stuck in m pelvis and had to do an emergency c section due to his heart rate dropping. He was born 9.1 so depending on the size of this baby I will be able to do a vaginal delivery. I do not want another c section ouch !!
  • Options
    gulimzgulimz member
    You guys are a lot more braver than I am . I was so traumatized by my labor and all the events that led to the csection,  that I can't think about going through all that again if vbac fails. I'm just going to schedule my next csection when the time comes. Recovery from it sucks, but I think I have major ptsd from the last time so I'd rather not even give it a chace to re-live that . 
  • Options
    This is my fourth baby -- first was CS and the other two were VBAC, my last coming in at a whopping 10lbs 9 ounces.
  • Options
    @gulimz I don't have much choice, since we'd like to have two more kids after this one. My doctor said c-sections get riskier and risker with each additional one. To reduce the risk of complications, I need to *try* to avoid a c-section. Last time, the emergency situation that led to my C-section was caused by my son's genetic disorder. I have a feeling if I'm carrying a healthy baby, I can do a VBAC.
  • Options
    gulimzgulimz member
    I'm planning on 3 . I have a friend who's on her 4th csection. I think it really depends . There's huge risks to vbac too including uterine rupture. What ever anyone decides,  I just wish everyone a healthy pregnancy and a safe delivery