October 2017 Moms
Options

Running mamas - advice needed

WRWrunnergirlWRWrunnergirl member
edited May 2017 in October 2017 Moms
What's your best advice for running comfortably during pregnancy?
I'm 20 weeks now and the last week or so it's been getting uncomfortable (before that it just felt like lots of pressure on my bladder). It mostly feels uncomfortable below my bump (which isn't huge).  Maybe intestines or something, but I don't have to use the bathroom.  No sharp shooting pains or anything that makes me feel I should stop immediately.  
I was using a medela belt.  Sometimes it felt too tight or maybe too high.  I've tried loosening and lowering it but it's not a lot better.  I ordered a fit splint belt that just came in the mail today.  I'm hoping that will help.  

Re: Running mamas - advice needed

• Options
    Hi there - definitely not a runner, but Google found this good thread that might be helpful for you!
    https://community.runnersworld.com/topic/pregnancy-support-belly-band

best of luck!
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lola4411lola4411 member
    edited May 2017
    During my first I started to feel uncomfortable later on and just made sure to have bathrooms available on my route. Your situation is probably just pressure feeling, right? I would keep running until it was too uncomfortable and check with doc too. 

Sorry I don't have more advice!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lola4411 - Yeah, I guess it's more pressure.  I'm also trying to figure out if I should run upright and pull the abs in and or lean forward and just let belly relax. Leaning forward feels a little better but I don't want to strain the lower back.  
  • Options
    With my first, I ran until 3rd trimester. Does your belly get tight (Braxton hicks type tight?) Or is it you think you may just need more support?
  • Options
    @runmama-2

Yesterday was the first time my belly got tight, kind of a tight band around my lower pelvis.  That was at the end of 3 miles, so I just stopped and walked.  This is my first pregnancy, so I don't know what Braxton Hicks feel like. 
    Usually it just feels like intestines are tight or bloated maybe, but not that I actually need to go to the bathroom. 

I'm thinking I need more support, which I'm going to test out today.  But I'm also not sure if I should be adjusting my form for the growing belly.
  • Options
    So, I read some blogs from women who ran while pregnant.  My issues sound like this one above, especially with the downhill being more noticeable, so I'm thinking it could be round ligament pain.  Does that makes sense that it could be that?
    Thankfully I don't have issues with it bothering me after the run like she mentioned.  
  • Options
    so sorry @WRWrunnergirl i wish i had advice for you. i didnt have RLP the first time around. just uncomfortable pressure and having to pee constantly.  hang in there and i hope others have advice for you.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hey, lurking from August because I have similar issues! It sounds like it could be pelvic floor or round ligament pain. This is my 3rd pregnancy I've run through all and you have a few options. (1) try a different belt, I use the fit splint now but may try the Amom maternity belt (2) slow your pace /run walk until the muscles loosen and you feel good (3) KT tape around your belly - I've heard this works well but I haven't tried yet either, plan to also tho!   I've also been integrating pre-natal yoga, which ironically is no joke, keeps you going, keeps you strong, preps you for labor (if you want to supplement the running down the line). Hope this helps! It's a hard topic to find information on for sure. 
  • Options
    @KyCade3013 - Thanks for the helpful tips!