February 2017 Moms

3.5 month temper tantrums

Hello all.My daughter was the most easy going baby through the newborn stage. Since she was 1 month old she spontaneously starting sleeping through the night from 1am until 1pm, waking up 2 or 3 times to feed. During the day she was always so easy to put down for naps. Just give her the pacifier and pat her butt and she's out. But ever since she turned 3 months, it's like night and day. She fights her naps so much! When I even ATTEMPT to lay her down in my arms she screams (not cries) and tenses up or burrows her face into my arm. Now its taking at least 2 or 3 hours for her just to stop fighting her tiredness and give into some sleep. And even when she does fall asleep, if I put her down she wakes up immediately and the whole process restarts. Or if I do keep her in my arms the most she will sleep is 15 min and wake up seeming uncomfortable and frustrated. (BTW I never used to hold her when she naps, she was always fine being laid  after she fell asleep). Even when I put her on her favorite swing to wash her bottles she screams at the top of her lungs until I pick her up. Am I teaching her bad attitude habbits?

Re: 3.5 month temper tantrums

• MUD. 
    But lolz. 
  • Yea I don't think 3.5 month olds are old enough to throw temper tantrums... if she's screaming that much something is prob wrong. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Loading the player...
  • Hi teenuhvo,
    We experienced exactly the same thing with our 3 month old - you are not alone! He was a great sleeper since he was a month old, but then he suddenly decided he didn't want to sleep/nap anymore, and wouldn't let us put him down in any of the places he associated with sleep (e.g., his swing, his moses basket, his crib). It's like he's decided life is too fun to sleep!
    We decided to do cry-it-out (extinction version) and it worked like a charm, and very quickly. I know lots of moms on this board are judgy about that, but letting him cry alone 20 mins the first night and now really just 5 mins whenever we put him down for a nap/sleep seems infinitely better than him crying for hours in our arms. It led to 10 days of bliss for the whole family, with our LO clearly more energetic and in better moods the whole day. Then, he started rolling over, which means we had to take away his magic merlin sleep suit.. so we're probably going to have to reset and start again. Not the end of the world though.
    Would love to hear about anything you discover that works too!
  • Who tf is this betch calling us judgey?