January 2018 Moms
Options

GTKY: Honeymoon Edition 5/23

Where did you/will you honeymoon? How long? Best part? Do you want to go back? Are you thinking about taking a babymoon?

Its a rainy gross day where I am, let me live vicariously through remembered trips to paradise!
DS1: Nov. 2013
DS2: Jan. 2016
DS3: Dec. 2017
Baby #4 on the way!

Re: GTKY: Honeymoon Edition 5/23

• Options
    KatieElKatieEl member
    DH and I went to Hawaii for a little over two weeks: 1 week on Maui, a few days in Honolulu, and a week in Kauai. Best part was definitely Maui, that was our favorite hotel and we did a private guided Road to Hana trip which was so amazing. We're dying to get back, sans kids. 

Were undecided on a babymoon, but I think we're going to try to do one, provided we can con our parents into babysitting DS1 and DS2! We didn't take one for either of the boys, but we haven't had a vacation just the two of us since our honeymoon 5 years ago, so we're due!
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    We decided on a big wedding and cheap honeymoon so we stayed at DH's aunt's condo in Destin, FL for a week (for free!). It was actually really nice and relaxing and since we got married in October, the beaches weren't crowded at all. We really didn't do much other than lounge and eat. We did an Alaskan cruise the next year to kind of make up for not having a big honeymoon trip and we are dying to go back!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We spent a week in Estes Park, CO. Most of our time was spend in the Rocky Mountain National Park which was absolutely gorgeous. We even got to do a horseback tour through parts of it. We won't be taking a babymoon as far as I know-we spent a weekend in a B&B for a babymoon/1st anniversary getaway last year and really enjoyed it!
  • Options

We're not married, and not engaged yet either ;) But we've been together for years. Last trip we took was to Cancun shortly after DD was born; the trip was booked before I got my BFP. I think it was 4 months after she was born. It was great to get some sleep and Cancun is lovely. I just hated having to constantly pump to keep my supply going.

I hope we'll get at least a night away for a small babymoon. We'll see what happens.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    We joke that we honeymooned at the county fair - we didn't go on a trip but volunteered at our church's food booth for the whole week after our wedding. We got married right after I finished college so we had JUST moved in together for the first time about a week earlier. We've still never done a 'makeup' trip and that's increasingly unlikely now that we're trying to save for #2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    KLake42KLake42 member
    We had to travel for the wedding, to NYC (our home state at the time didn't recognize our marriage).  After spending that money, we didn't have a honeymoon.

But it's a good trick to skip the honeymoon, because now we always have an excuse to travel.  Yes, of course we should indulge in this vacation-- we never had a honeymoon, after all!  (We've done that a lot.)

We're not planning a babymoon.  I feel too icky now to imagine wanting to travel, and I've been told to do whatever I can to minimize stress.  Traveling is fun, I love it, but I'll opt to take it easy for this pregnancy whenever I can.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    We spent two weeks in Fiji for our honeymoon. It was amazing but probably not a trip we'll be making again anytime soon. I couldn't handle being away from the kids that long to do it without them and it's really too long of a trip- not to mention too expensive- to do with kids in tow at this age. They'd much rather head to Disney! 

Babymoons aren't quite our thing. Our tenth wedding anniversary is next May and DH mentioned going someplace then... but that's when we expected to be welcoming our third child next month. (Meaning we'd be looking at a trip when she was just shy of a year.) Now I don't know what we'll do. I'm not okay with leaving a four month old behind and DH isn't so sure he wants to deal with the 4 month wakeful while on a trip, and he feels guilty bringing the baby but not the girls. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Speaking of traveling, DH and I planned on flying to Destin in mid November. Ill be 31-32 weeks pregnant. Anyone fly at that point in pregnancy before? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mudge85Mudge85 member
    edited May 2017

We Honeymooned in Maui for 12 days. It was amazing!! We were planning to go back in April of 2018 for our 5 year anniversary - even if I had just had a baby we were going to try to make it work... BUT! now that we're on the twintrain I don't think we will be making it. We will probably do a long weekend babymoon somewhere on the East coast w/ my sister and her husband who we just found are expecting their first after multiple miscarriages 11 days after us!

We are cruising to Bermuda in a few weeks so that should be nice and relaxing. :)   

• Options
    We spent the most wonderful 2 Weeks in Jamaica for our honeymoon. The people there are amazing and so chill. @Mudge85 we too were planning a 5 year anniversary trip back in April. I don't think we will be going. Maybe we can push it back to the end of next summer when this LO is older than 6 months and I'm not breastfeeding anymore.

We never did a baby moon but we do have a family trip planned for Aug to Alaska on a cruise. All of DHs family will be going and DD as well. Should be a fun time and I won't be too pregnant then. 
  • Options
    sjb2215sjb2215 member
    @KatieEl, @cyanope, @Mudge85 Hawaii is definitely on my bucket list!

We spent a week in Costa Rica. It was the perfect mix of relaxation by the beach and some adventure (rappelling waterfalls and white water rafting). Such a beautiful country and the people are so friendly!

We had a trip to Iceland planned before I got my BFP for early October, so hoping to make that our babymoon. 

@miranda21037 that's a good question! I was trying to look up advise on that as well. I'll be 24 weeks in October, which I think should be fine. I don't think it's as recommended once you're in the 3rd trimester, but your doctor might have something more concrete.
  • Options
    We didn't really have a honeymoon. We spent a couple nights in Atlantic City (for free, FIL had credits or something). We plan on doing a big honeymoon trip for our 10th anniversary. This baby will be 4 and DS will be 9. Our last vacation was in February and we spent a glorious week in Disney World. DS hasn't stopped talking about it. I'd love to go back next year, depending on if DH lands a new job when he graduates.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We did a Western Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon, and we've been on a few cruises since then! The most memorable part was when our ship hit another ship as we were leaving the harbor (you tube Carnival Legend hits Enchantment of the Seas). Our honeymoon was something we booked bc it didn't require a lot of effort on our part, we booked excursions through the ship and pretty much just had to show up. It was exactly the trip we needed after wedding g planning. A few yrs later we did a 3 week European vacation that I wanted to do for our honeymoon originally but we decided it was too much right after paying for the wedding. 

We're planning an anniversary trip/babymoon in Sept, we are planning to go to NYC but need to book our plane tickets if we're really going to do it.....  we're heading to CO in July which I'm excited about, hopefully by then I'll have some energy back and can be awake for it!

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• Options
    I'm so jealous of all your wonderful sounding vacations.  We were young when we got married and never had a real honeymoon.  We were planning a 5 year anniversary trip, which would have been a few weeks ago, but I'm one of those crazy moms that just can't leave my baby. We are planning on trying again for 10 years, so hopefully that will work out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We got married last October with a very handmade style wedding: we did all the decor, family made all the food etc. We are budget people and just went to northern AZ (we live in southern AZ) and enjoyed some time together; we went to the grand canyon, Sedona and this drive through animal park called Bearizona. It wasn't some magical thing but we enjoy stuff like that ♡
  • Options
    em_elem_el member
    edited May 2017
    Be careful where you travel while pregnant! I was planning to go to Puerto Rico in a few weeks and my doctor said I can't go because of the Zika virus. Ugh! Now the hubs and I are trying to find somewhere else to go last minute. I want to sit on a warm beach somewhere, preferrably not TX or FL.

Here's the map of the virus:
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/world-map-areas-with-zika
  • Options
    @BrandedCowgirl92 I am in Southern AZ as well. I've heard of Bearizona but have never been. 
  • Options
    We got married in October and our honeymoon is planned for our anniversary this year! We'll be exploring Iceland by camper van for 7 days after 3 days of traipsing around London, and I am SO excited. It's our absolute dream trip. 
    We may have to modify the camper van aspect since now I'll be 6 months pregnant, but we'll figure it all out as we see how comfortable I am as the pregnancy progresses! 
    Me: 32 | DH: 32
    DSS: 5- starting kindergarten this fall!
    TTC since our wedding: October 22, 2016
    BFP #1 5/10/2017!!!
    *Sadly, we lost our sweet babe on 6/19/17 at 9 weeks, 2 days. But we are made of hope, and we'll be back here soon.*
  • Options
    We went to Savannah GA for a week.   It was amazing.  Mainly the food.   We want to go back for the food.   
    No babymoon.   One evening without the kids landed us with number 4 on the way  :D.  Plus, we just took a weekend trip to STL, will spend a couple of weekends in Michigan on the lake, habe a trip to Wisconsin in June, November, amd December, and have a 9 day Disney trip booked in October.  One and three have November birthdays and we have 6 Christmas celebrations, so there is no time for a trip sans kids. 
  • Options
    @maueraa07, I cant leave mine either.  I keep saying maybe for our 20 we will take a kid free vacation, that would put all of our kids in theoe teens.  
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @miranda21037 @sjb2215 I flew at 37 weeks, with my doctor's blessing. It wasn't ideal, but I was temporarily moving to Boston for our son's birth and heart surgery, because their pediatric cardiology program is the best in the world. It was a two hour flight, and honestly, it wasn't bad. The flight attendants gave me extra snacks and went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable.

If your feet are swollen when you make your flight, I recommend wearing compression stockings. And you may want to take something for gas before boarding the flight. I'm not sure if it was because of the cabin pressure, or what, but I had sharp gas pain during the entire flight. It stopped as soon as we landed. 
  • Options
    @PleaseSendPicklesNow  Thanks :) Although now Im thinking we wont be going to Florida if there is Zika being reported there :/ 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @miranda21037 No, stay away from Florida and the Caribbean while you're pregnant. If you want beaches, Bermuda is safe. We're cruising there in a couple weeks!

We do want to do a babymoon in the late second/early third trimester. I'm hoping I can convince my husband to take a Sedona spa trip. I love the desert! And there's definitely no Zika there. My husband is a beach guy, but he's never been to the desert. He doesn't know how beautiful it is out there.
  • Options
    Mudge85Mudge85 member
    @pleasesendpicklesnow When are you doing the Bermuda Cruise?! we leave June 3!!!
  • Options
    We went to Maine for a few days the weekend after we got married. I was in grad school so our time and funds were limited. We hiked at Acadia which was relaxing and lovely. I would love to go back for one of our anniversaries and spend more time. 
  • Options
    We got married last year and went to Thailand for 13 days. It was AMAZING!!!! I work for a major hotel chain and got an incredible discount on a beautiful resort (a $400-$600/night room for under $80 a night). We spent our days laying on the beach and by the pool, and then went on little excursions, had a spa day, ate some of the best food I've ever eaten. It was a dream vacation and checked a location off my bucket list! We were in a small town about an hour or two from any major cities, so it wasn't crowded. We absolutely want to go back to that area, but also go back and explore a little more of Thailand and see some of the more populated areas like Bangkok.

We probably won't get much of a babymoon, as we just bought our first house. Hopefully we'll be able to take a few days off in September/October and spend some time together. Luckily there are an abundance of great locations in Northern California!
    Jan18 June Siggy Challenge: Fav Fictional Dads

Married April 2016
    BFP: 4/21/2017 EDD: 12/31/17
    TTC #1: 4/2016 - 4/2017
    Became a momma to a wonderfully weird rescue dog in May 2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatieElKatieEl member
    @cyanope what part of Kauai will you be staying in?  We loved that island too.  If you get a chance I think a helicopter tour is well worth it, b/c so much of the island is undeveloped and gorgeous!
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    We weren't sure we were gonna be able to afford a honeymoon, but we pulled together something simple. We ended up driving out to Worlds of Fun and spent all day hitting all the rollercoasters, then got dinner, saw a movie at the movie theater we went to on our first date, and stayed the night in KC. It was actually really great. 

I'd like to take my son out to Worlds of Fun this summer, if we can swing it. I think he'd probably like it. But I imagine I'll have to skip out on the rollercoasters if we do, lol.
  • Options
    @MrsDorkCharming Thailand is where we were going to go for 5 years. Where did you end up going? We want a beach resort that isn't too crowded. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    crizz13crizz13 member
    We went to San Diego for a couple of days and then Hawaii for 10. We spent time on Maui and Kauai and I still look back at photos and just smile. It was the absolute BEST trip. When we were planning our honeymoon we kept saying it was a "once in a lifetime" trip....and then as soon as we were there, we started talking about having to go back! 

We didn't do a babymoon with DD, but I'm hoping that we can get at least a weekend away just the two of us before this little one is born. We haven't had a trip without DD since she was born 2.5 years ago!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mudge85 We sail June 10. Just one week after you!
  • Options
    @MrsDorkCharming that sounds amazing. My DH had always wanted to go to Thailand. Did you feel safe the whole time? That is mainly my concern for going there. 
  • Options
    @maueraa07 Khao Lak! It's about an hour North of the Phuket Airport, so it's easy to get to, unlike some areas like Koh Samui. It's not at all crowded but there are a lot of resorts. Some are big name hotel chains (the JW Marriott we stayed at was incredible, look it up. There's a pool that forms a river around the whole resort), but there are a lot of boutique resorts as well. I absolutely would recommend the Khao Lak area for a quiet beach resort in Thailand. I felt incredibly safe there and the people were wonderful.

Married April 2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @burnsmommy27 YES!!! I felt incredibly safe the whole time I was there. That's part of the reason I wanted to stay out of the crowded areas like Phuket. We also booked all of our off property excursions with the hotel itself, we paid a little more but the sense of safety was worth it. I know the hotel chain so well, so I knew that they would only partner with reputable companies. Not once the whole time in Thailand did I fear for my safety. You and your husband really should go!!!!

Married April 2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    All these tropical getaways sound amazing! DH and I want to take a trip like for our 5th anniversary or something since we stayed stateside for our honeymoon.
  • Options
    We didn't do a honeymoon  :( Honestly, I was pregnant with DD (12 weeks... she was a surprise) and we bumped up our wedding date unexpectedly because we needed to make some major life changes. We lived in different cities at the time, so I had to leave my job, I insisted on moving to Cincinnati, so he had to find a new job etc. etc. And TBH the only thing I cared about was the baby. I think even a weekend babymoon might be a really good idea for our relationship, which sometimes lacks romance (my fault mostly). I'll have to think on that one... All of your trips sound delightful!
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @MrsDorkCharming I'll have to let DH know. He would love it. We have been to some pretty sketchy places and usually book everything through the hotel or cruise too
  • Options
    cyanopecyanope member
    @KatieEl, we're staying at the Westin resort in Princeville. Give me all of the recommendations! I know we're going kayaking for sure and on a few hikes, but besides that, we don't have anything planned. I wanted to go ATV'ing and tubing, but getting KU has changed those plans. So, any rec's would be much appreciated! 
  • Options
    KatieElKatieEl member
    @cyanope princeville is gorgeous! That's the part of the island we stayed on too. I'd definitely recommend kyacking, snorkeling (that was my favorite island in terms of what we saw) and the helicopter tour. We didn't do a boat cruise down the Napali Coast, but I've heard only wonderful things about that, so might be something to look into.
    Baby #4 on the way!