November 2017 Moms
Options

Good clothes for nursing

I remember one of the most annoying things after having my baby was what to wear!nothing fit well and nothing I had lent itself to nursing. I remember wishing I knew about that so I could stock up on good nursing clothes ahead of time. (Shirts with zippers, buttons, wrap dresses, tank tops, etc.) 

I love to wear dresses, so I bought a lot of dresses from milk.com, specifically made for nursing. I loved them because they had built in ways to get the boob out and nurse easily. Milk.com is having a Memorial Day sale now so i think I will get a few fall and winter dresses (probably extra on sale!) for the new baby. 

I have big boobs, so the "lift the shirt and pull down the tank top trick" unfortunately never worked for me. Or maybe I'm just uncoordinated. Haha.

anyone else have good nursing brands they love?

Re: Good clothes for nursing

• Options
    Great post!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Love this post! I should preface this by saying, I don't wear nursing covers or really care about any mild exposure that happens when breastfeeding. (I cared with my first, less with my second, and not at all with my third) #normalizebreastfeeding! I only mentioned that so I can explain that the items I love are all about the ease and comfort of breastfeeding for me and baby, not about coverage.

I actually love the pull the shirt up and tank top down trick in warmer weather. In colder weather, which is a lot of what we'll be dealing with here, I tend to wear a lot of nursing tanks and cardigans. Years ago, I bought a bunch of nursing tanks and bras from target by a brand called Gilligan and O'Malley. They super comfortable, reasonably inexpensive, and the tanks actually look kind of cute. Of course, I've also bought some things from Motherhood Maternity as well. For dresses, I like wrap style dresses that have a low V in the front, they make access super easy. And especially in the beginning when they eat all the time, if I'm home (and don't expect company), I walk around the house in comfy pants and a super soft bathrobe with nothing underneath. That way I can feed my baby a thousand times a day, without dealing with clothing issues. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a bunch of $1.99 cami style tanks from forever 21 that I wear under and just pull down. Pull that down, pull the other shirt up, minimal exposure. It draws less attention than a cover. There are situations where I prefer to cover up all the way (with my in laws, at church) but out in public with strangers, people tend not to notice this way. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I own approximately 20 nursing tanks. I usually do a tank and a cardigan or tank under a normal shirt. The tanks are cheap and comfy and have enough support with the shelf bra that I don't need to wear a separate bra. I have a few nice nursing shirts too, but breastmilk tends to stain and I dislike spending a lot of money on clothes I know will just get ruined. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    JDW0325JDW0325 member
    edited May 2017
    100% same as @kissthesky32
    Nursing tanks for the win!! I lived in those suckers until I went back to work. I slept in an awesome nursing sleep bra (from Target) at night and sometimes wore that ALLLLLLLLL day if I was just staying at home. Seriously, that sleep bra was amazing when you don't want to sleep totally topless, but pretty damn close because you are constantly whipping your boob out. Also- sleeping in any kind of real clothes when you have the after birth sweats is THE WORST!

edit- fat fingers

• Options
    FYI Motherhood Maternity is having a sale right now, 30% off sale items.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Exactly as @cmessamore said! Pull shirt up, pull tank down. I have bigger boobs and didn't have an issue with it. I found a number of v-neck options that worked well too. You'll basically look for dresses with a lower stretchy neckline (check out PinkBlush - I think new customers get 10 or 20% off for signing up) and any kid of shirt if you can make the tank work. I remember this being annoying that I had to think about my outfit for the day but there are definitely plenty of options out there. The sleep bras from Gilligan and O'Malley I still use and we haven't nursed since September. So comfy. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I loved my sleeping nursing bras. I had to have nursing pads 24/7 and the sleeping bras were snug enough to hold them in place. I did the tank top under a shirt thing and got so used to wearing one that I still wore that combo until last week. I feel slightly naked without a tank top on. I wore anything with easy access, either from the top (v-necks and the like) or from the bottom (loose fabrics, generous fits). I ended up not wearing a lot of my basic t-shirts which was annoying, but I got used to it and it let me go through my clothes and toss anything I didn't absolutely love. For around the house I just wore the nursing bras and a tank top, and if I left the house I'd throw a shirt on.

• Options
    car1acar1a member
    Could someone explain the "pull down tank, pull up other shirt" a bit more? I think I'm imagining this correctly, but @MississippiCatfish you said that doing this in public people tend not to notice, but I'm guessing that there is still skin exposed near the boob that's out (especially side boob) and if the baby moves its head you're fully uncovered, right?
    ~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    This is not me, just googled. My shirts postpartum are usually a little looser/longer, so it isn't as obvious on the non-nursing side that the shirt is pulled up.  I also usually wear similar colors, so it's less obvious if both the tank and t-shirt are black, for example.

ETA:  I pull the tank top down while still covered by the top shirt.  Then I quickly lift baby's head up as I'm lifting up the top shirt.  If baby moves their head, the top shirt falls down pretty quickly.  Like I said, I understand, there are situations where I don't want to chance it.  I don't want my pastor or father in law to see my nipple for even a second (my choice).  But in public, I feel like it's less spectacle than pulling out a big nursing cover and having to fish around in it for a bit to get situated.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I also like to just have a regular, lightweight infinity scarf (like $9.99 from Target or Charlotte Russe) in my diaper bag to use as a nursing cover.  I guess my theme is that I like to blend in :D  To me, it just calls less attention than something like this.  Again, just personal preference.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @MississippiCatfish I will probably always use a cover if I'm around anyone but DH (personal preference, I get uncomfortable easily) and infinity scarf is the way I want to go! It also just seems more secure, less chance of it sliding around and accidental exposure.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge It's nice that they're so popular right now - lots of options!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I pretty much lived in Gilligan & O'Malley nursing tanks and either yoga pants or pajama pants .  If I was out of the house, I would just cover with a light blanket.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    BayCampBayCamp member
    I lived in those cheap v-neck tshirts from target and a tank under. I could easily do the pull up/down thing, or just pull a boob out of the top if I wasn't around people. I never had a nursing cover because Florida is always hot, but I did use some muslin blankets if I needed a minute to get situated or didn't want my uncle to see my boobs across the dinner table. 
  • Options
    av2323av2323 member
    One of my good friends bought several pieces from "Latched Mama".  She loved them.  I typically just wore my bathrobe around the house if we weren't expecting company.  When I returned to work I wore a lot of the Target nursing tanks and cardigans.  It made pumping much, much easier.
  • Options
    smromesmrome member
    I found the tank tops under another shirt to be uncomfortable and hot, but found those "belly bands" worked well with a regular top. Also, figuring out how to nurse while babywearing is convenient. I was never able to actually nurse while walking,  baby would lose latch with all that movement but I know so moms could.
  • Options
    BayCampBayCamp member
    @smrome yes to nursing while babywearing! I could walk around and nurse and no one would even know. It was a lifesaver for being out and about. 
  • Options
    car1acar1a member
    @MississippiCatfish lol at the picture above. All of the women in ads/pictures of nursing scarfs/covers always look so freaking happy! Breast feeding with this poncho is FUN

• Options
    av2323av2323 member
    @smrome & @BayCamp  My goal is to master this skill!  Well my first goal is to be successful at BF'ing followed by nursing while babywearing.  
  • Options
    @BayCamp @smrome @av2323 I love nursing while babywearing when I wear my boba wrap, but I felt it was a little tougher with more structured carriers. I still did it, but it wasn't as comfortable for me.
  • Options
    @car1a but actually I want that poncho for BFing

• Options
    Man, I am jealous of all you ladies that can make doing the pull the tank town and shirt up trick work. When I am nursing my boobs are 40DDD and there was no way for me to make just the nipple show that way when nursing. Sounds so much easier!
  • Options
    car1acar1a member
    @DuchessOfCambridge The model is clearly enjoying breastfeeding in it, so hopefully that's a good sign! 
  • Options
    @MississippiCatfish so true! At least we have that! Hahaha
  • Options
    I don't know if this is allowed, but this is one of my friend's shops and she makes some pretty pretty nursing scarves.  (She's actually a creepy internet friend from my Knot month board from almost 6 years ago!  But she's legit and great!)  ;)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cleverfinchdesigns

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    av2323av2323 member
    edited May 2017
    @SweetMelissa4  Her stuff is adorable!!
    @cmessamore  I created a registry to take advantage of the completion discount and I have a boba wrap on it!
  • Options
    I didn't buy specific nursing clothes either - besides bras and tanks. Anything I could easily pull up or down would work. Which cut out a lot of my higher neck/more structured dresses, but gave me something to look forward too after weaning. It was like having a whole new wardrobe. I also did the nursing infinity scarves in the winter. In the summer covered nursing was hard because my daughter would get so so sweaty. She's pretty hot natured. I usually either just did tank and tee combo or found a more private place during that time. 

But let me just tell you guys it took me a LONG time to be able to nurse in public. We had a lot of latch issues amongst other things, so nursing with any clothes in the way at all was a very complicated ordeal at first. 
  • Options
    2Dash2Dash member
    I found that public nursing worked well for me when baby was really young but around 7-8 months I usually just went somewhere quiet.  They would get so distracted by noises and fling their heads around and milk would spray everywhere and I would be exposed and it was much better if I could bring them somewhere calm and quiet.  And around that age covers didn't work because they would play with them and pull them around - we might be modest about what is going on but they are not!  Usually I would have a blanket with me and I would use that to provide some cover.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FTM here.  Any recommendations (or feedback on what to expect) for tops to wear for pumping? I have 6 weeks maternity leave, then it's back to work. I plan to pump as long as I have a supply. 
  • Options
    @curiousfool1 Nursing tanks are easy to pump in. I also recommend getting a hands free pumping bra. That way you can work (or play on your phone) while you pump
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    edited May 2017
    @2dash.  Totally.  Once my babies were 6+ months, I always felt it was easier to nurse right before I left and then pack little snacks.  Obviously it doesn't work if you're going to be gone all day, but it does for shorter outings!  Entertaining toddlers in public while you nurse is also really tough.  Unless we were at a park or a play place, with DS3 I almost always buckled everyone in to the van and put on a DVD for them.  I learned my lesson having to chase 2-3 year olds around the mall with a nursing baby on my chest :#
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Confession: I didn't read all your replies also it's been 5 years since my DD was born. I bought nursing camis from Target that had the snap at the clavicle/shoulder that were so easy to use with her especially in the hospital. Otherwise I layered so I could lift and lower while breastfeeding. 
  • Options
    deeerfauxmdeeerfauxm member
    edited May 2017
    There are lots and lots of nursing friendly tops and dresses in the maternity section of Asos. I bought some basics there with ds1.  The shipping and returns were free. :smiley: the gap also has several tops. 
    I also reused prepreg tops like cowl neck wrap shirts from banana republic that were getting worn out. So they served me many years in the long run! Soma and some other brands make more supportive bras (and some Dept stores will convert bra of choice to be a nursing bra) as well which might be bettter for larger breasts when proper support is crucial. There's some trick on how to convert the cami tank of your choice to a nursing tank (i.e. With a more supportive bra of your choice) out there on the interwebs. I didn't do it before but know some moms who did. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I bought the tank tops that you can attach your nursing bra to so that you don't have to have a nursing bra and nursing tank on. Love them!
  • Options
    @curiousfool1 Anything really. As long as there's a locked door you can wear whatever you want. And there better be a locked door or else. I agree with the hands free bra but I typically was able to make it work if I didn't bring it. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @curiousfool1 honestly, my favorite thing to pump in is an old sports bra that I cut holes in for the pump parts!! Seriously!! Another mom from an old BMB recommended it to me and I think it's awesome!! You can google it and it will give you pictures and tips. 
  • Options
    @cmessamore- That's brilliant. What a great idea. Thanks!
  • Options
    BayCampBayCamp member
    @cmessamore I did the old sports bra thing and it worked great, I've inherited a pump bra from my friend and I'm excited to use it. My only complaint with the sports bra was that it hurt to get over my boobs when I was super engorged but it did the job after that.