October 2017 Moms

20 weeks and no bump

Hello! First time mom here so naturally worried about everything. I'm 20 weeks exactly today and still barely have a bump. I had an u/s at 18 weeks to check on SCH which has resolved (yay!) and I have my 20 week scan on Wednesday and of course I'm paranoid something is wrong due to my lack of a bump. I don't think I've felt fetal movement either though I've had some questionable bubbly sensations in my lower abdomen which I don't know how to interpret. Also, while I don't consider myself "skinny", I'm well within a healthy weight/bmi and worked out regularly before my SCH diagnosis. Am I over reacting? 

Re: 20 weeks and no bump

• I would say probably. Coming from a FTM, I don't have much experience but everybody is different. As long as baby continues to grow at all the scans, then all should be fine! Some women just have smaller bumps than others. Sorry you're worrying tho! Hope your scan goes well on Wednesday!

Me.30 DH.31 
    Est.8.2006
    BFP 8/28/15 mmc @ 11 weeks (d&c)
    BFP 9/28/16 mmc @ 8 weeks (d&c) - trisomy 5
    BFP 2/3/17...edd 10/13/17 <3

• I wouldn't worry too much if baby is growing and progressing as they should. :) Some mom's have longer torsos which allows for more room for baby to grow before having to go outward. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry either. I'm a FTM and 20 weeks today also, and in the morning my "bump" doesn't look like much. However, throughout the day it appears a lot more, and by the end of the day it's literally impossible to hide. Remember, we're only halfway through, so we still have a lot of time left for those bumps to grow!
  • I know especially with FTM's your belly muscles are stronger so it can hold the baby in longer before showing.  Also, I noticed I have not been feeling much movement...kind of the same thing like bubbly sensations.  Turns out my placenta is in front of the baby so not feeling much is normal.  Maybe ask about that.
  • Thanks for the input everyone!
  • I didn't show with my first til 24 weeks! And bubbly feeling is probably the baby :)
  • ShreyaRShreyaR member
    With first pregnancy, you do tend to show later, my bump started showing after 20 weeks and my close friend didn't have a bump until third trimester! Good luck with your scan, you should be fine! :) 
  • I've been gaining weight all over so far... my bump doesn't look like a bump most of the time... just looks like I've gained weight. I'm a FTM too and I expect to not show as soon as others. But everyone's different. My mom said she didn't show until 20 weeks... my sister looked 7 mos at 5... my cousin is 33 weeks and said she didn't pop until around 26 weeks. It is what it is.. and as long as your Drs aren't worried.. you're good :)

Me: 36 / DH: 37
    Met: 9/21/08
    Married: 10/5/13
    BFP #1- 2/5/17 * EDD- 10/18/17 * DD born- 10/25/17
    BFP #2 3/18/19 * EDD 11/25/19* DS born 11/30/19
  • I'm 20 weeks as well.  People who know I'm pregnant look out for the bump.  But I don't think most strangers realize would be able to tell whether it's a baby or too much lunch!!  I have a long torso though, so there's lots of room in there.
    It's so interesting how everyone's body is different and how "early" or "late" the bumps show up.  
  • @sophiakam with my first, I switched OBs late and my new OB immediately ordered a growth scan because she thought I looked way too tiny to be 26 weeks along (I barely had a bump at all).  The baby was measuring right on track and I'm just tall so have more room!  Glad to hear your OB isn't worried and your baby is just fine in there!  :)