January 2018 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding my 8 month old while pregnant

Hi Moms!
So I just found out I'm pregnant again, and I'm still breastfeeding my 8 month old. Didn't think it was possible.lol Can anyone shed some insight on how it went for them. I want to continue breastfeeding, but I read that breastmilk supply drops  significantly while pregnant. So i'm worried for my LO. Anyone experience this or had no problems at all. I'm like just pregnant maybe 4-5 weeks (nervous to call doctor just yet)..We suffered previous miscarriages before I had my current baby. So this is a pleasant surprise..but I also read that breastfeeding can increase miscarriage if you've had one before. any comments will be a huge help :)

Re: Breastfeeding my 8 month old while pregnant

• Options
    Breastfeeding can cause uterine contractions, and some obs dont recommend it for those at risk of pre term labor.   There is no evidence that breasrfeeding should be avoided by those that have suffered previous miscarriage.   
    I have nursed during 3 of my 4 pregnancies (obviously not baby 1).    My supply significantly decreased and the milk changed around 12 weeks with pregnancy 2 and 3 (4 is to be determined still as Im only 5 weeks).     My oldest weaned almost right away, my second continued to nurse until 24 weeks.   My oldest was only 6 months when I got pregnant and we had to supplement with formula when my supply dropped (and then switch when he weaned) because my supply was not enough to keep him hydrated.  
    Some women nurse their whole pregnancy with little issue, but that is harder when the baby is under a year where breastmilk is the primary source of nutrition.   
  • Options
    I don't know about the facts on miscarriage risks and breastfeeding so I can't speak for that. I have an 11 month old son I was breastfeeding but had to switch to formula 2 weeks ago because my supply dried up to basically nothing super quick. I know some women who breastfed during pregnancy and didn't have any issues. Definitely bring it up to your Dr though! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    zizaa09zizaa09 member
    thank you for responding so quickly! I'll def call my pediatrician tomorrow.
    @hwoodmama  @sbishop426
  • Options
    Hi @zizaa09! We have a couple different threads where we've had this discussion-there's been some chatting in the second time mom (STM) thread, along with a few other threads I can't link on mobile. Check those out or post your question there-you may get more responses! 

That being said, I am BFing my almost 11 month old, and I have noticed my supply start to drop. She is slowly dropping daytime nursing sessions. If you have concerns, make sure you talk to your OB and/or pediatrician. 
  • Options
    zizaa09zizaa09 member
    Thanks everyone. Can you point me to the STM thread?  I can't seem to find it. Thank you. 
  • Options
    KatieElKatieEl member
    tagged you in it
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    zizaa09zizaa09 member
    thank you:)
  • Options
    @zizaa09 I know you have another thread with this but I figured I'd just chime in here! I'm still BFing my almost 20 month old, and I asked my doctor if she thought it was risky. She was adamant that it isn't and told me she breastfed through all nine months of two of her pregnancies! Leleche League and Kelley Mom both have good empowering resources. As for supply, I heard it might taper ~12 weeks but come back shortly after. I'd just do all of the things we do normally to increase supply/frequent sessions, pump if needed, certain foods, etc. Good luck and congrats, mama!
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020