November 2016 Moms

Swimming, sunshine & summer!

hoosiermama-2hoosiermama-2 member
edited May 2017 in November 2016 Moms
Favorite products for swimming and sun protection?

Has anyone used a reusable swim diaper?

edit: photo size

Re: Swimming, sunshine & summer!

• @hoosiermama-2 Yep, we used them in the Keys. Lets all the pee out but keeps the poop in so they do their job!
  • Dumb question: should I do disposables since we have a pool (versus ocean). Her teeny pees won't matter I'm sure in our big pool but just asking because y'all don't judge my stupid questions  :D
  • Loading the player...
  • @hoosiermama I'd still do reusable if I had a pool. 

I need to get sunscreen now that the rain is letting up. Any recommendations?
  • tvh1982tvh1982 member
    edited May 2017
    It doesn't matter which one you use for the pee, both let the pee go out but keep the poop inside. 
    The reusable might keep pee inside too, but that's not guaranteed.
    Chlorine in the pool takes care of that.
    They say babies don't poop in the water...but think that's a myth :)

Ive used both, bought my reusable one on the app 'wish' very cheap and as it has snaps you can adjust the size to fit right!

As for sunscreen my LO has sensitive skin so I use Louis Widmer. It doesn't come cheap, but we are rash free :)

Edit: got autocorected on sunscreen brand

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I've had M in a reusable swim since he was 3 months! 

As for sunscreen my PHN said the other day that any brand is good but said NOT to use anything OVER  spf50 since as at that point there tends to be more added chemicals. 

Were going to use live clean baby sunscreen since we already use that brand of soap, lotion and eczema cream with success. 
  • We use Applecheeks reuseable swim diapers and really like them. They are super thin and have snaps to adjust the size. For sunscreen I just use coppertone babies and have no issues.
  • I don't know how I didn't know about reusable diapers before this LO, but intend on giving them a try with DS. Before we used disposable Pamper Swim, which did the job (held the poop) but felt like such a waste. 

ODD is a June baby so the first summer we lived by the SunBrella and SPF hats; the second summer we coated her in California Baby SPF 30; last summer we moved to Coppertone stick for her face and spray for her body - both were also SPF 30. 

As as easy as the spray makes getting ready for the beach, I think we'll be back to California Baby for this first summer. 

Oh, and ODD used to poop during swim class every time like clockwork. So they can definitely go in the pool and the disposable Pampers definitely held the poop every time. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • We are using the huggies swim diapers, neutrogena baby, and sun hats. So far so good. 
  • We're using pampers swim diapers.. think baby sunscreen and sun hats as well! It's all working great.
  • Got this last weekend. I love that it's not greasy or yucky smelling. LO won't be six months til Tuesday but she loves laying under the tree, and the shade gets spotty!

• kvrunskvruns member
    His swim lessons required a reusable but he was so skinny in his legs there were gaps so we had to put a normal one under it anyway. I have both disposable swim and the reusable for this summer. The disposable starts at 16 lbs so guessing I won't use those until a bit later 
  • desoky01desoky01 member
    edited May 2017
    We got the upf50 long sleeved rash guard, little swim trunks, and sun hat at Target, and we'll also be using sunscreen. @hoosiermama-2 we got the same type of reusable swim diaper but it's the blue one with submarines and fish on it.  :) We're still deciding on the brand of sunscreen. 
  • BLyn627BLyn627 member
    We're heading to the beach in two weeks and I keep getting frustrated trying to figure out how to best work it. 

LO will obviously be spending time on the beach. I plan on taking her in and out of the water, but probably a majority of the time in the beach tent or worn in my water wrap. Id like her in a swim diaper for when she goes in the water, but if none hold in pee, what do I do when she's not in the water? I prefer she not leak pee all over whoever is holding her or the beach tent when laying or playing in there, but want to be able to take her in and out of the water as I please. Same thing with the pool all throughout the summer. Any advice????
  • tvh1982tvh1982 member
    I would use a reusable @blyn627 and buy maybe an extra.
    If fitted correctly (so definitely get the ones to adjust) they are more likely to keep the pee inside. So if you change regularly the chance of holding LO and get peed on is slim. 
    As swimming diapers hardly absorbs, pee will be filling up the diaper, so if it doesn't fit right it'll leak and if it's a big pee it might leak too.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

• @SandNStarsNJ Good to know about the baby powder. 
  • Is a beach tent really necessary?  Or will an umbrella be sufficient?  Those beach tents are expensive. 
  • Is a beach tent really necessary?  Or will an umbrella be sufficient?  Those beach tents are expensive. 
    Umbrella unless it's a sand-whipping wind day is totally fine. 
  • BLyn627BLyn627 member
    Thanks, Ladies. We didn't take ODD to the pool until after she was a year old and she mainly stayed in the water the whole time. By the next summer, she was potty trained. So, I'm lost when it comes to this stuff with a little baby.

@Ladybug2821 I'm getting a pop up beach tent mainly because it seems easier to carry. I haven't priced umbrellas too much, but to me, they seemed around the same price or more expensive. I'm sure they work just as well too. This is the tent we're getting: 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVIUIGG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2MHBTT8WE8T3D
  • kvrunskvruns member
    So if I put him in the water, sit out a bit, then go back to the water are you doing a new diaper each time in the water? I'm concerned with him sitting in a wet swim diaper but maybe that doesn't matter?
  • kvruns said:
    So if I put him in the water, sit out a bit, then go back to the water are you doing a new diaper each time in the water? I'm concerned with him sitting in a wet swim diaper but maybe that doesn't matter?
    I change it every time for two reasons: leakage and crotch rot. 
  • jsmaijsmai member
    How are you all keeping your kiddos cool outside? I've been taking an insulated water bottle with refrigerated water inside and patting her down with damp wash cloths. It regularly gets in the 90s and 100s here with high humidity but i don't want that to keep me from getting out of the house. 
  • We got a cheapo clip on fan for the stroller. It seems to help A and the blades are foam so I don't need to stress about her touching it
  • kristah2kristah2 member
    edited May 2017
    I wish I had to worry more about heat and how to dress for the beach and pool. It's snowed here today. Fml. 

ETA: I should clarify.. enough snow I had to scrape my car before going to my moms. 
  • jsmai said:
    How are you all keeping your kiddos cool outside? I've been taking an insulated water bottle with refrigerated water inside and patting her down with damp wash cloths. It regularly gets in the 90s and 100s here with high humidity but i don't want that to keep me from getting out of the house. 
    When we're near water I put LO's hat (Speedo bucket hats) in the water and ring it out before putting on his head. Otherwise it's cold water, icy teething rings and water-based foods (when LO is older).

kristah2 said:
    I wish I had to worry more about heat and how to dress for the beach and pool. It's snowed here today. Fml. 

ETA: I should clarify.. enough snow I had to scrape my car before going to my moms. 
    Holy crap. I would freak. But I want to assume you expect it because you're in Canada. Or is snowing in May crazy there?
  • kvrunskvruns member
    kristah2 said:

That's just wrong 
  • Is anyone doing swimming lessons this summer? I can't decide if it's worth the money or if it's better to just swim with LO and try to get him used to the water. 
  • desoky01 said:
    Is anyone doing swimming lessons this summer? I can't decide if it's worth the money or if it's better to just swim with LO and try to get him used to the water. 
    It's all about getting acclimated and comfortable with the water at this age, so if you're comfortable, then just being in the water with LO should be enough. If you're not comfortable and/or aren't sure how to approach it then I recommend a parent-child class. If you're hoping LO will actually learn to swim at this age though, it's not happening.

With ODD we started parent-child classes just after a year, but that was mostly because I was a competitive swimmer for 18 years and taught those classes so my comfort level was OK. We only started because I liked being around other parents and babies and doing the whole "everybody sing" stuff. We're actually still in them (can't go on their own until they're 3) and she can swim about 15 feet on her own at this point and very much prefers the "teacher" instead of "mom". We will be doing them with DS starting this summer for the same reason (the camaraderie and group involvement).
  • Thanks @SandNStarsNJ, I think I'd like the camaraderie as well. I'm comfortable in the water, just not sure how to help LO be comfortable. I'm not expecting LO to swim at all, just wanting him to be comfortable and set him up for success in the future. Gosh I am such a perfectionist and worry wart.  :p  :'(
  • desoky01 said:
    Thanks @SandNStarsNJ, I think I'd like the camaraderie as well. I'm comfortable in the water, just not sure how to help LO be comfortable. I'm not expecting LO to swim at all, just wanting him to be comfortable and set him up for success in the future. Gosh I am such a perfectionist and worry wart.  :p  :'(
    In my experience, what you project, LO will mimic. So if you're relaxed and comfortable, he will be too. But if you're worried and nervous, he will be too. So let him splash around, let him get used to getting his face wet, and just enjoy the water time. 

I always like to remind parents with LOs under 10 months that they spent more of their life in water/liquid than out at this point so it should still feel natural to them. 
  • desoky01 said:
    Thanks @SandNStarsNJ, I think I'd like the camaraderie as well. I'm comfortable in the water, just not sure how to help LO be comfortable. I'm not expecting LO to swim at all, just wanting him to be comfortable and set him up for success in the future. Gosh I am such a perfectionist and worry wart.  :p  :'(
    In my experience, what you project, LO will mimic. So if you're relaxed and comfortable, he will be too. But if you're worried and nervous, he will be too. So let him splash around, let him get used to getting his face wet, and just enjoy the water time. 

I always like to remind parents with LOs under 10 months that they spent more of their life in water/liquid than out at this point so it should still feel natural to them. 
    Yes! I freaked when ODD slipped under the water when she was around 1. I tried so hard to hide my reaction when it happened but I slipped up for just a second by gasping and grabbing her so quickly, I equate it to a fear of getting her head wet ever since. We've been working on it and bribing her with ice cream after her swim lessons if she jumps in and goes all the way under. I think we've broken the fear after 3 years. 
  • tvh1982tvh1982 member
    desoky01 said:
    Is anyone doing swimming lessons this summer? I can't decide if it's worth the money or if it's better to just swim with LO and try to get him used to the water. 
    I started with 3 months as she had all her shots.
    For me it was more to meet up with other mums and it's a lovely activity.
    My LO hated bathing, so thought this was a good idea to get used to water. She now enjoys it.
    At one place it's just singing with them, but the other place it's more to use their natural instincts of kicking, holding the edge of the pool, .. its lovely to see how free they are.

• @SandNStarsNJ it's not Canada as much as Newfoundland. Even still it's a bit out of whack for May but it's happened here before. Newfoundland doesn't get as warm as I wish it did. 
    I have spent 4 years living in Ontario and they get normal weather. Hot in the summer with some heatwaves and high humidity (it's right above New York State so similar weather). I miss it. 
    I love living in Newfoundland since it's my home and all my family are here but H and I regularly talk (dream?) about moving somewhere warm. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    we're not doing swim classes until maybe next year. I did some briefly with him at a place here that had free up to 6 months but it was a bit of a hassle. The classes are pretty expensive here so going to just have him in a normal pool for now and maybe try next year for a little more. I feel like I got enough of a glimpse from my classes earlier this year to know some stuff to try
  • m6aguam6agua member
    desoky01 said:
    I am thinking about it. More just for me to have that time with LO and maybe meet some other parents. If I don't have the class, I think I wouldn't make the time to go on our own.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• I have been taking S to the pool every weekend and she loves it.  I'm a pretty good swimmer and was taught by my mom at a very young age.  At first I was going to teach S, but I think I will take her to classes also.  I think the YMCA offers fairly cheap classes. 

How do you handle naps when going to the beach?  S's wake time is only 1.5-2 hrs so she would definitely need a nap while we are there.  The beach is about an hour drive, so in order for it to be worth it we would stay for a few hours. 

• I have been taking S to the pool every weekend and she loves it.  I'm a pretty good swimmer and was taught by my mom at a very young age.  At first I was going to teach S, but I think I will take her to classes also.  I think the YMCA offers fairly cheap classes. 

How do you handle naps when going to the beach?  S's wake time is only 1.5-2 hrs so she would definitely need a nap while we are there.  The beach is about an hour drive, so in order for it to be worth it we would stay for a few hours. 

Beach naps are the best... on beach days I let the schedule go. LO usually sleeps on the way there, takes in everything and everyone for a bit, eats and passes out for a while and repeat. The wind and sun and natural white noise has always induced sleep for us. I image it's different for every kid.
  • kvrunskvruns member

I have been taking S to the pool every weekend and she loves it.  I'm a pretty good swimmer and was taught by my mom at a very young age.  At first I was going to teach S, but I think I will take her to classes also.  I think the YMCA offers fairly cheap classes. 

I would time her naps with the drive there. Maybe she will stay awake longer with the new stimuli but if not then take a beach nap 
  • I would try to time naps with the drive, but S hates the car and is one of the few babies I know that doesn't just fall asleep when in the car.  So, if we do a nap at the beach, how does that work?  Do I hold her?  Take something to put her in?