Trying to Get Pregnant

The Crunchy Thread

2»

Re: The Crunchy Thread

• hedgepighedgepig member
    edited May 2017
    @vflux33 Agreed with you about vaccine politics and big pharma. There's something majorly wrong there. Also, yes to raw milk products, at least when I can get them! I can get raw milk from a friend who has a cow, but I don't do it too often because I can't usually go through the whole thing before it spoils. Raw milk cheese ftw though :smile:

@Redpuma119 Yes to buying in bulk and storing in glass! We get a monthly order delivered through a bulk food co-op which makes it slightly more affordable and convenient to eat well. We live a half hour from the nearest grocery store, so it's great to have a well stocked pantry at home.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @Redpuma119 I also like the smell of vinegar - it smells 'clean' to me! @vflux33 I second adding some essential oils (in fact, without being to AW, I wrote a blog post just the other day about cleaning: here

Also - if you are ever not convinced when dealing with things like raw meat - don't forget good old fashioned boiling water. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • vflux33vflux33 member
    @MrsJ2410 Yeah if my IUIs don't work I'm going to IVF too and all the meds concern me, but ultimately, I'll do what I have to do to get KU.

@hedgepig I really want to get into natural fermentation! It's on my to-do list. 

The hippie/red-neck community mix is something a lot of people outside NorCal don't get. I think it's one of the bigger misconceptions about CA generally. I kinda dig the clash.

I'm always worried someone will incorrectly assume I'm anti-vax just because I'm like "hey we should be able to sue them just in case they fuck up" so I don't share that view a lot. I definitely plan to vaccinate my kids if I have any but I also plan to talk to my doctor about spacing them out. My mom told me when I was a toddler and I got my vaccinations that I got a fever and limp for a few days. My sister was fine, but I had a reaction. I didn't end up with autism or anything and I'm all good now, of course, but that's part of why I feel like spacing them out would probably be easier for kids with slightly weaker immune systems. They only do them all together out of convenience for the company and doctor--there's no medical reason that I'm aware of why they have to give them so many at the same time. 
  • @vflux33 Yeah, the rancher/logger/dope grower/hippie combination makes for an interesting community for sure. We have a rodeo, but also a "dope grower X-games" style events and cannabis farmers' markets. What I think is really interesting is how many of the conservative red-neck types actually grow weed, and everyone knows it but doesn't talk about it? I grew up in the town I live in now, and teach at the high school I went to, so it's pretty weird to see all the people I knew as a kid, but through the eyes of an adult. Also weird to teach students who are the children of my HS classmates.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• vflux33vflux33 member
    @Sailing_Mama Yeah I use water when it's just dirt or something. Thanks for the rec! Pulling up your blog now  :)

@hedgepig I know the weed olympics thing you're talking about! I'm 100% pro cannabis/anti-drug war, but I haven't "partaken" myself in quite awhile because I don't think weed during pregnancy/TTC/ B-Fing has been well-researched and it's just NOT worth the risk (I know a few people who used cannabis while KU and their kids are fine as far as they know, but that's too anecdotal for me personally to feel OK with it). I do like living in a pro-weed area where even conservative types are cool with it. I've lived in places that were really intolerant of it in the past and considering the actual crime that goes on that harms people I just don't think weed should be a big deal anymore. Also think it's hilarious that weed/wine tasting "pairings" are becoming a thing.
  • vflux33vflux33 member
    @kiwi2628 That's really interesting. Thanks for the info!
  • @KristoKekerooni I want to try the diva cup so bad! But I'm not sure if I should now because they come in two sizes, like for before and after giving birth, and since I'm TTC now I thought I would wait.
  • Also since I am saying stuff: Its actually same with antibiotic free....it just means the animal has been through a withdrawl period after being on antibiotics, not that they have never been on antibiotics. But, for any animal to be slaughtered, they are required a withdrawl period and meat/milk is routinely tested (varying length depending on the antibiotic and cause of disease) before they can be slaughtered and sold for food. If a batch of milk is found to have antibiotic residue, the entire batch is thrown out, so farmers dont fuck around with thatSo buying 'antibiotic free' meat is like buying 'wet' water. That is different from 'no antibiotics ever' but even then...they are being given antimicrobials, just not things that fit the legal definition of an 'antibiotic' and since farmers make so little money and they can make more if they dont have to give a cow antibiotics (because then they dont have to wait for the withdrawl period to end an thus continue to feed and house it extra time), a lot of times medical treatment is withheld from animals until very severe infections or severe diseases.
  • vflux33vflux33 member
    @kiwi2628 What are your views on grass fed vs. grain fed?
  • @vflux33 There are pros and cons to both- grain fed we see way fewer cows get sick/have issues due to malnutrition or nutrient/vitamin deficiency, which means fewer issues with health, pregnancy, birth, milk production etc... Grain fed is either better for the environment or worse, depending on what studies you read and what marker you are using for 'environmental health', so I am going to leave that as a neutral point. Grass fed does typically mean more mentally stimulated cows as they are foraging and all that, although it does mean they have a higher chance of getting into poisonous plants that sometimes grow around the periphery of pastures, although that can happen with grain fed too, it just happens less often. Grass fed, just as an FYI, doesnt mean exclusively grass- it means grass and other lush greens when available, but if the pastures are low yield that year, they will either supplement or fully feed on hay, which is much less nutritious than grain or grass. Some people day grass-fed is tastier beef, I say I dont notice a difference. I eat a lot of grass fed (with grain supplemented), but that is because I buy local from the farmer 3 towns away and I know his farm. I am a big advocate of 'buy local' for like 263482477847847 reasons.
  • @charlestonchew - You can buy the combo pack for cheaper than the two individuals! And FWIW, I know some people post-childbirth who still wear the Step 1 cup and it's fine. 
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• @KristoKekerooni where would I find that combo pack and is it Diva or another brand?
  • 1) On a scale from 1-10, how crunchy are you? Describe.
    I live in Los Angeles, so automatically that gives me a +2 bonus to crunchiness just due to osmosis. But I also hate kale, so that's a -1. Overall I think I'm probably a 2. I buy a lot of fast fashion stuff, rarely read labels (except for on dog food, I treat my furbaby right!). I use a reusable water bottle at work because we have to (it has our logo on it and I'm customer-facing). I eat a lot of factory farmed meats (I love McDonald's, what can I say). But I'd also just as easily eat as an "earth friendly" place if it's close and I like the food.

2) Have you always been this crunchy/not crunchy? Are your parents crunchy? Did you grow up in or currently live in a crunchy community?

Yep, pretty much always the same. When we lived in our old house we were right down the street from a weekly farmer's market and I had it in my head that I'd make my own organic baby food. We'll see...

3) Is YH the same level of crunchy as you, or do you differ?

He's a little more, but mostly because he does the shopping. He buys a lot of scent-free "sensitive" products like laundry detergent. But even then he's probably just a 3 for the same reasons as me.

4) "Yes", "No", or neutral on the question of "would you have fun at Burning Man?" Explain.

Probably not. I don't like being dirty.

And finally, 5) What's the crunchiest thing you've ever done?

Oh goodness. Probably just looking into buying organic etc. baby shampoos and the like.

• @charlestonchew - I have seen them at CVS, bu tI bet amazon has it. And the brand doesn't matter that much, but the cheaper ones wear down faster. As an introduction, try a cheaper option first, maybe?
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

Probably about a 3. I recycle, we use some plastic containers but I refuse to microwave or put them in the dishwasher, I use a Diva cup, I have a small vegetable garden in our yard, we used to buy organic produce but now that I work part time we can't really afford it. I'm conscious of ingredients in things I buy but will still tend to be more money conscious than anything. I'm at Target almost every week and I buy my groceries at Walmart because it's so cheap. TW I intended to have a non medicated, natural birth with DD but ended up with an emergency c-section. If I get KU I will try for a VBAC/natural birth with a midwife. End TW

2) Have you always been this crunchy/not crunchy? Are your parents crunchy? Did you grow up in or currently live in a crunchy community?

I definitely get more crunchy as I get older/become more informed. My parents recycle and occasionally buy organic and my community is definitely not very crunchy at all. 

About the same but he is more concerned about GMOs than I am. 

4) "Yes", "No", or neutral on the question of "would you have fun at Burning Man?" Explain.

Definitely not. My idea of the great outdoors is driving in my car with the windows down  :D

Potential TW When DD started eating solids I made all of her baby food from scratch for about a month or so until I said eff this and started just buying the organic jars because a) I realized I was spending about $60 a week on organic produce just for her food and b) I was getting very little sleep. End TW

TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• vflux33vflux33 member
    @JennyColada I have the organic baby food thing in my head too, but having never had any kids before I'm leaving the door open for the situation @shortstack930 described if it gets to be too much of an added stress.

@shortstack930 MH and I are also anti microwave. Our current rental doesn't have one built in and we won't buy one so we've had some confused less crunchy relatives get super annoyed when we told them to use the toaster oven to reheat something. 
  • @vflux33 DH lovesss the toaster oven. I don't mind using the microwave to heat things up if it's in glass or on a real plate but I'm always telling DH to take things out of plastic containers before sticking them in the microwave. And all of those "steam in the bag in the microwave" veggies make me nervous. I took a genetics class in college and the professor talked a lot about how we introduce so many mutagens into our lives without realizing it so it's made me so much more conscious about things like that. 
    TTC History
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018

• @vflux33 I 1747483938% don't want to make this into a vaccine thing... but I did want to let you know that from what ive read, if you choose to space out vaccines they actually have to up the dosage slightly because of the interaction, or lack thereof. So while you would be spacing them out, when all is said and done, more vaccine would have been put into your kids body. I know a lot of people dont know that so i just wanted to throw that out there just for funsies in case anyone would be interested. Not trying to change any minds.
  • vflux33vflux33 member
    @antoto thank you for actually providing an explanation instead of saying "oh my god you have a question about vaccines and therefore are anti-vax"! :) I hadn't heard that before. I'd probably do more research if I ever get KU (first things first), but I definitely appreciate the info and will look into it if I'm lucky enough to have a reason to... 
  • @vflux33 to add to what @antoto said, let me preface this by stating this is about vaccines for dogs and cats and why/how we time them, but I suspect some of it works similarly to different human ones, but that is an assumption.

Dogs get a number of vaccines as puppies spread out by different time periods and it has to do with innate immunity vs immunity from the mother vs immunity from the vaccine. For example: Parvo vaccine- puppies have immunity from their mothers when they are born, but it wears off over time. It starts to wear off around 6 weeks of age, but the maternal protection is still somewhat there until around 16 weeks. So from 6 weeks to 16 weeks, they are only partially covered and can end up becoming infected. For that reason, we booster all puppies starting around 6 weeks of age. The vaccine is good for 1 year....unless the puppy has maternal immunity left, then it only works for about 3-4 weeks. Therefore, all puppies get their first parvo vaccine at 6 weeks, and then a booster every 3-4 weeks until they hit 16 weeks or older. If you dont booster every 3-4 weeks (aka if you space them out), they are left without full protection and can catch the virus and die. Boosters for a lot of viruses arent just a we do it 2 times and thats protection- they have to be done 2 times (or 3 or 4 or whatever) *within 4 weeks* (or 2 years or whatever it is for that particular virus and diluent) for protection to actually take.

• vflux33vflux33 member
    @kiwi2628 Interesting! I don't know much about the timing of the boosters. It's the number of different ones all at once that freaks me out, since when we were all kids there were so much fewer diseases kids were regularly vaccinated against. In all honesty I'm just going to annoy the shit out of my doctor asking a ton of questions, but ultimately, I'm gonna do whatever they recommend. Still don't think the manufacturers should have legal immunity, but that isn't a scientific issue so it wouldn't actually stop me from vaccinating.
  • @shortstack930, just an FYI, the concern with heating plastics is mainly due to the release of BPA, which is not a mutagen, but it is an estogenic compound (mimicks the effect of estrogen). It has a much more transient effect. Mutagens cause permanent changes in DNA and hormones are transient physiological changes. It is still a good idea to limit estrogenic compounds while TTC. 

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • @icecubeinthedesert thanks, that's good to know there's a difference!
    TTC History
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:

6/7.   I make a lot of my own cleaning and some body care products.  I grow an organic garden.  If I wasn't in town, I would probably have chickens.    I have a compost bin.

My parents are pretty crunchy.  Dad is huge on energy conservation. The aforementioned garden is at their house.

He is probably a 3.  He is super great with recycling, and taking stuff to the scrap yards. But at the same time, gets annoyed that I won't let him use weed killer. ( Vinegar works better and is better!)

4) "Yes", "No", or neutral on the question of "would you have fun at Burning Man?" Explain. No, it just isn't my style.

And finally, 5) What's the crunchiest thing you've ever done?  Nothing specific, but people around here seem preplexed by my dedication to my compost bin.
  • Ooooo @holly321 I really want chickens as well!  Also I want a goat or two.  I definitely have dreams of owning a house in the country that has a barn with owls and cats in it and few herb and veggie gardens.
  • 1) On a scale from 1-10, how crunchy are you?

Compaired to everyone else here I would say maybe a 3-4? I buy/eat as much organic food as possible. All the meat is grass fed/free range and sea food is always fresh caught not farm raised. I do however eat meat almost every meal. I drink out of a glass water bottle and only use glass tupperware. DH and I recycle and recently started a compost now that we own a house. We plan to start a garden to grow some of our own produce and herbs. I also like to think I will make organic baby food. I have a diva cup but I also still use tampons. I've tried more natural makeup options but they suck imo so I'm all about the chemicals if my makeup looks good. I've also tried the more natural cleaning products but I always revert back to my Clorox wipes and bleach. I drive a suv/crossover style car and use dove spray deodorant. I fully intend to have a medicated birth and if you don't believe in vaccinations then we can't be friends. 

I am slowly becoming more crunchy. My parents are not at all cruncy... I come from a very blue collar family in the mid west. I was raised on fast food and endless Mountain Due. 

3) Is YH the same level of crunchy as you, or do you differ? I'm more cruncy then him but he is coming around. He used to give me a hard time about buying organic food but he agrees now that it tastes better. 

I can't do crowds like this so no. I do like the general idea behind it though. 

Probably trying the Diva cup. I'd really love to buy some of that underwear though!