Infertility
Options

Intro/Encouragement

Morgan1143Morgan1143 member
edited May 2017 in Infertility
Hello my name is Morgan and I would first like to say it is so good to find a community of women who support each other so much. I'm to shy to talk about all my issues with family and friends, but it is so great to know that if I need to vent or have questions there is a community waiting to answer. I just need a little encouragement right now. We just had our first IVF consult yesterday and I'm honestly just a little overwhelmed. I'm sure all of you felt this way at one point or another just thought I would reach out and see what you guys did to keep your mind off of things. Good luck to everyone. 

Re: Intro/Encouragement

• Options

Hi @morgan1143 I remember when I went to my first IVF appointment I was convinced I was going to absolutely mess everything up.  It seemed totally overwhelming and I was just thinking what the heck did I get myself into.  But don’t worry we all rise to the occasion.  I’m most cases the nursing staff at clinics are very supportive and with each ultrasound that tell you what medications you need to add, subtract, increase etc.  I always make mine email me so I could look back on it.  Also youtube videos are great for the medications.  The first couple times that you have to do the injections it may be a little scary but believe me by the end of your first stim cycle you’d be able to do it in your sleep.  This board is wonderful, supportive, and great to answer questions.  I would suggest following the May IVF board and jumping in with questions or updates when you start your cycle.  I hope your IVF is a wonderful success!

Me:38 DW:33 
    TTC History in Spoiler ***Trigger Warning*** Losses/Child Mentioned 
    Dx: My wife has no sperm  :D and apparently my embryos aren't as good as they look

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
     * July IUI#3 - CP  :'(
     * Sept IVF#1 - 4 Retrieved & Mature, 4 Blasts.  Fresh Transfer 1  - CP  :'(
     * November FET #1 - Transferred 1 Blast - CP  :'(
    2017 Switched REs - Recurrent loss testing for me - all normal, remaining 2 frosties sent for PGS - both abnormal
     * April/May IVF#2:  9 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 7 blasts!  Sent for testing - 2PGS Normals (0 remaining)
     * November IVF #3 12R, 8M, 6F, 4 blasts! - All 4 PGS normal!
     * November FET# 2 (Transfer a PGS normal from IVF#2) - BFP!!!
    2018 DD born 8/20/18
    2019 5PGS frosties ( 4 remaining)
      * September FET#3 (1PGS normal) - Beta#1: 139.7  Beta#2: 322.6

• Options
    Thanks so much for the reply!! We did two rounds of IUI so I'm somewhat familiar with the shots but not nearly as many as with IVF. You're right though I'm nervous I'm going to mess up something. I guess it is a good thing you have to be in there so often! Thanks again for the encouragement!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey there, I'm also new to the boards! So how did you feel about your RE and the clinic? Have you decided when you'll start IVF?

At my clinic, you're given a nurse/case manager who can answer all of your medical questions. I emailed mine A LOT and that was reassuring. I also felt pretty supported through my cycle by the clinic staff. Like @2MomsHoping said, they will walk you through the steps of your cycle. You're gonna be fine! :)
  • Options
    Hello @Sugarbreak yes I really like my doctor. We have been using him for over a year now and he seems very knowledgeable. I don't actually see him very often like you said I mostly deal with the nurses. There is a nurse there that is the IVF go to nurse and she said I can email/call anytime I just don't want to be a pest. My husband keeps reminding me of all the money we are paying them though. I'm sure they are use to people calling pretty frequently. I'm not sure how common this is but they want me to be on birth control for two weeks. I believe she said it was to make all the follicles grow at the same rate. Never thought I would take birth control again. I start my stims on June 9th. Thanks for the encouragement. The whole thing has just been very overwhelming which I'm sure y'all have all experienced.
  • Options
    MMD1986MMD1986 member
    Welcome! It is very normal to be on BCPs when starting an IVF cycle. It calms everything down, but I know feels counter productive. It also helps your RE time everything. 

I kept a planner to keep track of all my meds, and just checked off every shot to make sure I wouldn't forget anything or do the wrong dose. But like @2momshoping said, you'll feel like a pro at the end. It's really not that scary once you get started. 

Since you'll start stims in June you should definitely join the June IVF thread. It's SO nice to get to know a few ladies on your same timeline. 

I hope your first IVF cycle goes well and your stay here is short. 
  • Options
    @Morgan1143 I understand about not wanting to bug them, but your husband is right! :) You can always gather up questions that come to your over the course of the week and then make one call/email.

I took BCP too before each of my cycles, only I did it for the whole month beforehand.
  • Options
    @MMD1986 that is a great idea to have a planner!! I'm glad to know taking the bcp is normal I was thinking what in the world!?! I will definitely join the June IVF thread. Thank you so much!! @Sugarbreak that is a much better idea to just gather questions and then ask all at once!! Thank you!!