February 2017 Moms

The Solids Thread!

2»

Re: The Solids Thread!

• Both my older kids gobbled down anything we gave them, so this is weird for us. @Janefelicity is the stage 2 just the food that combines two different tastes? Or is it when it starts getting little chunks? I can't remember and we can't even get stage 1 down lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 its both, lumpier texture & more combinations. She is enjoying a mixture of vegetables at dinner but the stage 2 stuff im trying has meat & herbs & spices aswell & she is absolutely having none of it!
  • Loading the player...
  • @kswiger06 I wouldn't worry too much about Austin not liking it now. Our dr told us when we first start it's about him learning not the nutrition. He suggested even letting him just play with it and get it all over himself. Idk if you've tried that but maybe he'd like it better without the spoon. If he's like Rid who can't keep his hands out of his mouth I bet some food will make it in there. Disclaimer is we haven't started solids yet so idk if my advice will work but we are going to soon. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @kswiger06 I wouldn't worry too much about Austin not liking it now. Our dr told us when we first start it's about him learning not the nutrition. He suggested even letting him just play with it and get it all over himself. Idk if you've tried that but maybe he'd like it better without the spoon. If he's like Rid who can't keep his hands out of his mouth I bet some food will make it in there. Disclaimer is we haven't started solids yet so idk if my advice will work but we are going to soon. 
    At our 4 month appointment the Dr said Austin "clearly doesn't need the extra calories" lol so we haven't pushed it on him, but I haven't tried to just let him kind of play with it. He opens his mouth and can take the food off the spoon well, he just ends up puckering and shaking his head. He does grunt and reach for everything we are eating or drinking though so I was thinking about just asking the Dr at the 6 month appointment (in 4 days) if he had any suggestions or concerns, or if we might be able to just give him small bits of the soft foods we are eating to see if he likes those any better. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Senna did much better when we just let her play with her food instead of giving purees. She loves to gnaw on a banana or a big slice of apple.
  • Going to start introducing some fruits and veggies to Evie next week so we'll see how it goes. I usually just get the jars of baby food. 
  • I started reading about baby led weaning... is that basically what you are doing @SawyerRichardson ?  Since I'm not familiar with it, I have sooo many questions and concerns, but I'm feeling like we might have better luck going that route. 

Also I was considering trying this but am not sure about it, has anyone used this thing?
    https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-fresh-food-feeder-2pk/-/A-13991507
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 we have one for Ella and she loves it! We have put watermelon, banana, and apple and hers and she goes to town!
  • ColeBug89 said:
    @kswiger06 we have one for Ella and she loves it! We have put watermelon, banana, and apple and hers and she goes to town!
    Do you just cut small chunks? Or just a single chunk that fills the mesh Part? That's good to hear you like it because I like the idea behind it, I just wasn't sure since I've never seen one in person.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    ColeBug89 said:
    @kswiger06 we have one for Ella and she loves it! We have put watermelon, banana, and apple and hers and she goes to town!
    Do you just cut small chunks? Or just a single chunk that fills the mesh Part? That's good to hear you like it because I like the idea behind it, I just wasn't sure since I've never seen one in person.
    I just cut a bigger chunk that fits the mesh. Not much food comes actually comes out of the mesh part. Since it sounds like your little guy isn't too found of purées, maybe the mesh feeder will work better since it's actual bits of food!
  • That's what I was thinking/hoping @ColeBug89 and thanks! I think I might buy one of those then and try it out.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 Yes, unintentionally. I made a bunch of purees and she wasn't as interested in that as she was in our food. I was eating an apple one day and she kept grabbing for so I let her have it. I'm probably going to keep going with it this way. 

If you don't get the weekly Lucie's List emails, this week's had a good article on the different types of feeding styles:

www.lucieslist.com/year-1/starting-solids/
  • I was reading the article you linked @SawyerRichardson and I had to laugh at her blurb on how she thought rice cereal meant Rice Krispies. DH totally thought the same thing! Doctors need to be more specific bc if I hadn't known what he was talking about Rids first food would be Rice Krispies lol! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Finally going to start this weekend, and I'm excited! We're going the BLW route as well. I'm thinking I'll start with a nice, soft avocado. It should be all sorts of cute. He sticks everything in his mouth right now so I think it will blow his mind that some things actually taste good.
  • @Xstatic3333 avocado doesn't taste good...silly mom brain! :tongue:

@kswiger06 we also have the mesh thing. I cut a banana into pieces that'd fit in there and froze it. She gets a piece with dinner every day and loves gnawing on it. The dogs also love it! They are messy though. 

Baby ate great for the last six weeks, but now has lost interest in all puree. I think we may try some blw this weekend. 
  • @Xstatic3333 avocado doesn't taste good...silly mom brain! :tongue:

@kswiger06 we also have the mesh thing. I cut a banana into pieces that'd fit in there and froze it. She gets a piece with dinner every day and loves gnawing on it. The dogs also love it! They are messy though. 

Baby ate great for the last six weeks, but now has lost interest in all puree. I think we may try some blw this weekend. 

Do you take it before the banana thaws out too much? The banana is awful for me to try to make sure gets all the way out of the mesh thing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited August 2017
    @SawyerRichardson thanks for that link!! :)

Austin has gotten to where he whines and sort of "cries" as he reaches for our food while we are eating. He won't eat the purees we've tried, so lately I've been dipping my finger in stuff and letting him taste it like that. Or I break off tiny bits just so he can taste stuff. It gets him to taste new things, but he still doesn't want to eat the baby food. I'm not used to letting babies eat different stuff and it makes me so nervous. I've been trying yo read up on BLW, but I haven't found a super clear tell me exactly what kinds of foods and how to prepare them type of guide. (I haven't gotten to finish @SawyerRichardson link, sorry if it's in there) do any of you have any good reading on it to suggest?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dreamingofbabies this book is the best source on BLW:

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Led-Weaning-Essential-Introducing-Foods/dp/161519021X

Basically the baby eats what you eat to the best of their ability and always self-feeds. Their natural gag reflex clears any food pieces that are too large. The book does have some good safety info though. PM me on FB if you want to chat about it! I forget to check in here much. It's working great for us so far!