August 2017 Moms
Options

Have we had a fitness check-in lately?

How's everyone doing??

Me, it's getting hard. I do work out at the gym 3-4x a week still. I'm actually getting stronger muscles, probably because for the first time ever I've focused more on lifting than on cardio because cardio is getting difficult. 
With the weather getting nice I'm going on more walks too. I may or may not give up on running because having the baby bounce on my bladder is miserable! Jacking up the resistance on the elliptical is just working better these days. But, if it's just too nice to not be outside, I'll probably start doing short laps around the block instead of a full 5k loop just so I can hit my own bathroom if need be. 

Even if I'm dead tired I just keep telling myself that a) you never regret a workout, b) working out is good for baby and c) working out is good for me. I'm usually such a fidgety person that getting motivated to work out was never an issue, but now...  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Have we had a fitness check-in lately?

• Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    @DeansGirl14 I've been thinking the same thing - missing the fitness check-ins. Thanks for starting one!

I've been keeping up with my prenatal yoga (in studio 1x/week) and doing workout videos, swimming, and going for run/walks (which is what they've become). I still try to do my 3+ mile loop but it just takes longer and I stop to do some goddess squats (from my yoga class to help with my soreness). On Saturday, DH and I left to go on a run/walk that turned into a 4+ hour, 8 mile hike because we kept saying we should keep going. I was so sore when we got home (and for 2 days afterwards). We went out to a late brunch (with breakfast pizzas) afterwards and sat outside - it was totally worth all the soreness.

I've also been trying to eat healthy foods. We're leaving for 2 weeks so it's tough to balance being healthy with using up what's in the fridge. I'd say I'm on the 80/20 rule for healthy food but I'm definitely on the lower end of the weight gain spectrum so unless my GD test comes back, I think I can stick with this for the rest of the pregnancy and feel pretty good about it.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    I'm trying to stay active but take it pretty easy as my lower back hurts with too much standing. I take my dog on a short, mile-long walk most days. Much more than that and my back starts to smart. I do a variety of yoga poses most days and take a prenatal yoga class on Saturdays.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a few very active days,  like today I taught (full out effort)  2 workout classes and went for a long walk, plus had a personal training client and taught 2 kids dance classes,  but the rest of my time I feel like laying around and shoving pizza in my face. I don't even remember the last time I had a real workout just for me, it's always when I teach.  I bought a yoga punch card that expires in July so as soon as the school year is out I have to hit some classes !I'm also going to commit to healthier eating because I won't be working until 9pm any more
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    I was running up until my 6th month. Now my leg cramps are miserable and I'm afraid of falling. I think I'm just going to start doing gentle swims/floating in the pool. Other than that, my dog and I go for some pretty good walks. I got to keep him active too because if I don't we both are stuck laying in bed. Exhibit A.

• Options
    I wasn't having some nasty BH contractions for awhile, so I was taking it easy. Started back to working out his week and I felt AMAZING yesterday! I was able to do the whole workout, with a few modifications, and still function afterward. 

Today, I was glad it wasn't a cardio day. I'm so so sore! 

I already feel like a sloth out of a tree when I'm NOT sore. Oh man. Standing up took so long today! Lol!

In all honesty, though...this baby sits insanely low. Lower than my other two for sure...and after a lot of walking g or exercise, my pubic bone feels like it might. Real in half. 

I'm trying to cut myself some slack, but I miss being able to go hard 5 days out of the week. 
  • Options
    donehuedonehue member
    Yes, @DeansGirl14 thank you for starting this! 

I survived (and enjoyed) my Cape Cod Ragnar relay this weekend. My legs were around 5.5 each (one at 7:30am, 6pm and 3am). One of my teammates was pushed in the woods around 5am and broke her ankle. None of my other teammates were psyched about covering her long leg and I was still dressed so I just started running again. I think seeing the pregnant lady doing her part motivated them to split the remaining 6 miles with me. My bladder also kills me, but I am a total running addict and have discovered wearing poise pads and running a route with public bathrooms is helping ease that.

I got back out there before work yesterday morning and it was the first time I've had to walk during a run. I think my legs were burnt out and maybe slightly anemic, but I also think it is just starting to be that time for all of us.

I would think that running so much would make me this super fit pregnant lady, but I'm putting on weight faster than I did with my second. I started at 5'6 115 and have put on a total of 17lbs already (3 of those coming last week, so I am hoping to slow that role). I just recently stopped nursing my second a few weeks ago and my boobs have also gone through some major growth, which surprised me. I've been trying to focus on nutrition these past two days. Lots of fruits/veggies/water. I've also been having adverse stomach reactions to dairy and gluten so everything is pointing to needing to clean my diet up. Luckily near my office there are so many juice places so I've been sticking with juices/smoothies/bowls/fruits/veggies during the work day. It is Friday through Sunday that I really need to focus on healthy snacking!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• Options
    @donehue good lord re: your teammate. To be honest I'm kind of surprised anyone expected you to split the last 6 miles either, but I'm glad you were able to pull your weight (metaphorically speaking). 

With the bladder thing, it's like mind over matter. "I JUST peed and there is nothing in there, ignore that feeling." 

BTW @dinofreak thanks again for that tip about abs/ pulling in the belly button. I've been way more conscious of it and think my form and exercise effectiveness is better. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm still working out about 5 days per week with running 2-3 days and usually doubling up on 21 Day Fix workouts on the other days.  I'm pretty sure I stopped running at 26 weeks with DS2.  I'm 25+3 and should be able to at run for a little bit longer.  My lower back has been tightening up a bit and feeling like I need to pee when I run isn't fun, but I'm always glad I ran afterwards.  If I need to stop, I'll just walk.  

I have good good days and not as good days with eating.  I'm definitely eating healthier and am much more active with this pregnancy yet I'm packing on the pounds just like I did with my other pregnancies.  It's hard to see the scale climb so much, but I'm feeling pretty good and maybe the weight will come off easier than the last time.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    donehuedonehue member
    @MetsGirl18 it is so hard to see scale climb! I feel like my body is on autopilot and doing what it wants - baby has his needs and he is making sure they are met despite whatever I do! I hope he is at least on the big side! (DD1 was 7lb5oz, DD2 was 6lb2oz so I'm hoping for him to be the biggest, not that I really want to push that out though!)

• Options
    I go to my prenatal class once a week. Some of the exercises are definitely getting harder. So many lunges the other night and I was struggling. I know the exercises are so good for me - biceps, triceps, and quad work and usually doing some stuff with light weights.
    i found out I'm only working twice a week this summer so I plan on doing a little more working out even if it's just walking around the block.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @donehue that sounds a little bit shallow. If it's your third baby, you should know by know that 17 pounds at this point is healthy, especially since you were small before. I know it's hard to see the numbers rise on a scale but you really shouldn't let it bother you. If your baby is healthy, and your doctor isn't concerned, you should stop focusing on it. Even if you get back to your pre pregnancy weight, your body isn't going to be the same.
    This. Maybe don't fixate so much on the scale. I may weigh once between appointments, but I try to only weigh there.  My doctor isn't concerned with the weight I've gained. My baby is healthy and growing. I expect to pack on quite a few more pounds between now and delivery as I know at this point in our pregnancies the babies are having major growth and really filling out.  It sounds really selfish when you say that he's taking what he needs despit what you do. Most likely you didn't mean it that way, but it comes off as very selfish and cruel. This isn't your first pregnancy, you know weight gain is part of it.
  • Options
    donehuedonehue member
    Sorry, @aehogan90 and @SouthernMama15 - did not mean to offend! I struggle a lot mentally with weight gain (recovered ED) and this pregnancy has been a bit of a mind game for me as last time I only gained 18lbs total (despite everything I did then, which in that case was eating everything and NOT running).  I think I had that in the back of my head for this one as well, which I know is not realistic. So my comment probably wasn't clear in that I was comparing my own two different pregnancy experiences. 

• Options
    donehuedonehue member
    Also, I think my anxiety about weight gain is going to increase a lot these next few weeks. I think probably anybody in "recovery" probably feels similar and I will watch my wording to not sound shallow.

Believe me, I would do anything for the health of this child (I had 3 losses between 1 and 2), and it was having children that helped me finally consider myself recovered, but just like an alcoholic there are always voices telling you that maybe you are gaining too much etc. and it can be emotionally draining. 

• Options
    In other workout news, and for an excuse to post a hot guy gif, this was me last night trying on all my workout shorts. 

Through winter and spring thus far I got away with wearing yoga pants, but it's too hot for pants now. Only a couple pairs of shorts from my extensive running short collection still fit over my widening birthing hips. I'm down to only a couple loose workout shirts too. It's about that time to start wearing DH's clothes to the gym (save $$ on maternity). 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @donehue thanks for clarifying. Have you seen someone about that? I would just hate for you to feel bad about your weight and have it negatively affect you after pregnancy. I had PPD for like 6 months but never talked to my doctor and I completely regret it. I also had a loss before my first. I'm sorry if I'm overstepping but it might be helpful to talk to someone.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    donehuedonehue member
    Not overstepping :) I was in therapy for years so I know a lot of coping techniques and actually appreciate being told I might be sounding a little neurotic so that I can reel myself back in. 

• Options
    dma0389dma0389 member
    edited May 2017
    I'm still taking Pure Barre 5-6x/week, although I haven't been on my Peloton indoor bike in a few weeks. I have a high after Pure Barre...well after the warm up bec it seems like the warm up is getting hard now lol. I am taking an intensive class tonight, it's called "Sculpted Arms Intensive" and it's 75 mins vs. the regular 55 mins class. I figure it's more focused on arms so I'll be good, plus there's modifications anyways. Which speaking of, I've started modifying the planks now. But hey that's inevitable it's cool!

I wish they still had the Pure Barre Platform, cardio class option, at our studio. I miss cardio, once in a while hahaha!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @donehue I wondered if maybe you had a history based on my limited knowledge of EDs and a couple people I know who have had them. I have anxiety so I relate on that front. I hope I didn't make you feel attacked. I hope you can benefit from some healthy coping mechanisms and will be able to teach your babies healthy eating habits.
  • Options
    @donehue Just jumping in to say kudos to you for taking the feedback/comments so well. It's cool you were able to see where other posters are coming from. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @donehue Our experiences and our own reference points definitely impact us.  I'd be thrilled to only be up 17 lbs at this point, but that's because I gained 45 lbs with each of my other pregnancies and am already into the recommended weight gain range for the entire pregnancy.  I understand why your weight gain would be frustrating for you based on your previous pregnancy, history and current level of activity.  

I've been so impressed with your continued running.  I'm not running much more than 3 miles and I am amazed by women who can still run long distances well into pregnancy.  It's so much easier said than done, but try to focus on your accomplishments and how active you're staying instead of the scale.  This is what I'm trying to tell myself even though I know I also pay way too much attention to what the scale says especially as I get close to doctor's appointments.  I think part of the reason why I still feel good though is because I'm staying active.  I'm sure your running will have benefits throughout pregnancy, labor and PP recovery.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have been trying to walk more lately and also to eat better. At my last doctor's appointment, my doctor pointed out that I had gained 18.5 pounds over 25 weeks, 4 days and seemed "concerned" about what I had been eating  and how much (or little) I had been exercising. I have to say, she did make me feel bad about myself!
  • Options
    Pregnancy is tough, you'll have all the time in the world after to lose the weight. Nursing helps tremendously, you lose a ton of calories and it's a great experience for you & baby. Win /win if you're able to. Also, I gained 25lbs with my first and lost it right away and 20lb with my second (got sick at the end) and it took 7 months to lose the last 5lbs. It's unpredictable so I wouldn't stress it. 
    Exercise wise for myself I've been on vacation in Florida and haven't run since Monday! I've been sticking to 3 miles /2-3X per week and integrating yoga. My round ligament pain still hurts me in the 1st mile so I'm thinking of transiting to yoga once I can't run. I'm also getting a splint which I hope will help, a wrap splint from my friend, she said it helps with diastis rectic and round ligament - can't wait to see if it does!! My giabella belt isn't cutting it lately... 
  • Options
    KyCade3013KyCade3013 member
    edited May 2017
    Sorry, this is @KyCade3013 - not sure why it's defaulting to my old screen name mlygate again... have to email the bump. Annoying! - I wrote the above post ^*
  • Options
    @donehue I also have ED history--it was long ago but it's been difficult sometimes with all the pregnancy body changes. I spoke to my OB about it, and she's doing all the weigh-ins without telling me my weight. I asked her to tell me only if she had a concern. It's made life a lot easier to have no clue how much I weigh! Also, I'm a FTM, but my friend with two kids told me that in her first pregnancy she ate a ton and didn't work out, and the second she worked out the entire time and ate healthy, and she gained the same amount both times. So I think that's super common! 
  • Options
    Great points @lewliv

I've been more focused on keeping the muscle tone in my legs and arms. I only know my weight after a doctor's visit and found a pregnancy weight gain calculator online. I punch my new weight into the calculator to see if I'm "on pace." So far I have been, but I assume my doctors already knew that and if they were concerned they would have said something. But seeing the "pace" reminds me to make decent choices- like indulging a little here and there rather than throwing willpower out the window with the crazy cravings. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I finally had to press pause on running. I was getting way too much lower belly cramping/discomfort even with a belly band. It really bums me out because I love the way running makes me feel but I have to listen to my body. So incline walking and elliptical is where I'm at. I am still getting it a workout in about 6 days a week. Some is better than none, but I am sure within these next few weeks it'll will slowly go from 6 days a week to 5 days and so on until baby. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012