Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Toddler Bed Issues - Help!

We have had our son in his toddler bed for about a month now. Things went way better than expected. He stayed in his bed at bedtime, fell asleep and slept through to his usual wake up time of about 6-6:30. He would then kind of hang out in his bed, or get out and wait by the door for someone to get him. Well, this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning, he has hopped out of bed at 5:45, shut off his fan, lets himself out of his room and comes to find us ready to start the day. Last night, he did the same thing at 9pm (already in bed and asleep for 2 hours!) and then woke up and came into my room before my alarm went off at 5:15 ready to start the day. He cried when I told him it was still night time and time to go back to bed. I got him into bed, but he never did fall back asleep and was up again at 5:50. He hasn't been napping well at daycare (like at all) and I am thinking that either that has something to do with it or the "big boy" night light we have in his room is too bright (but it's been in there since he started sleeping in the todd bed). 

Any ideas of what could be causing this? Just a phase maybe? He has always (except for teething) been a good sleeper. How do I get him to stay in bed a little longer?

Thanks!
Jackie

Re: Toddler Bed Issues - Help!

• Options
    Toddlers are just going by their biological clocks, which are changing as they grow. 5:45 and 6:00 are basically the same time for them. I know its annoying to be woken up at 5:15 or earlier than your alarm, but this is just part of them learning to be independent in their own big bed. Maybe try a later bedtime. On another note, I've noticed my daughter (3) struggles with knowing the difference between naptime and bedtime. It has helped to talk about whether she will be going to sleep for "a little nap" or a "big long sleep", and if its nighttime, talking about what she wants for breakfast in the morning. Blackout curtains also help if the daylight is shifting with the season. If all else fails, teach him a routine he can do all by himself in the morning that doesn't involve waking you up. We taught my daughter how to go potty, get her sippy cup, a granola bar or piece of fruit, and turn on PBS kids if she wakes up before us. Of course she still wants to come cuddle every now and then, but it has helped us a lot.