August 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY 5/16 - In 5 Years

Sorry I'm a day late with this week's GTKY. Hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day weekend. 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 

Re: GTKY 5/16 - In 5 Years

• Options
    I might have my last child and be happy since I did not get a boy think I want to try one last time. Have my dream home :) 
  • Options
    In 5 years, my oldest will be getting his drivers license.  :o  This is our last baby, and this LO will be starting school, so I'll be returning to the workforce. Hopefully we will break ground on our dream home by then. We have seriously outgrown our first house! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS will be almost 7 and in school. This LO will be getting ready to start school. Maybe I can find something part time and go back to work. I'll be almost 38. So crazy to think about. 
  • Options
    In 5 years Baby will be 5. I don't see myself doing anything different, to be honest. I like my job and my employer. DH likes his job and his employer. We'll probably be doing exactly what we're doing now, just with a child in tow. 
    I turned 34 last month and DH will be 38 this year. We accomplished a lot when we were child-free, such as higher education, travel (still traveling!), career advancement. Now is the time to "just be" for awhile. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In 5 years, baby will be 5. I hope to have another child then or be trying for the next one. Hopefully, either DH or I will have a better job where we are full time with benefits. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    In 5 years Landon will be 5, I hopefully would have bought a cute little cape cod style house, still working for the same company but hopefully have gotten a promotion, got a new SUV, and hopefully my cooking skills will have vastly improved! It's a tall order, but I want to see if I can do it!
  • Options
    We're on the older side for first-time parents and have been busy with careers, housing investments, travel... ect... leading up to this point in out our lives. In five years I see us happily living in the house we just bought with our dog, this little guy and a younger sibling. I'm also looking forward to some time to just be a family and enjoy a simpler life for a little while.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    DH and I are planning to move back to the east coast before this LO starts school. I will likely make a big career shift (love my company but don't want to do what I do in tech and not be at HQ so not sure if that will transition to the east coast). DH moved to California for my job after he completed his MBA so I am planning to go where it makes the most sense for his career next - likely DC area.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    This GTKY really made me emotional. Having a hard time with the fact that my daughter is growing so fast and that #2 Will be here so soon. I've waited for these moments my whole life!

In 5 years I hope to be in a job that allows me more family time. I hope to be relocated to an area closer to my work and his. And possibly with baby #3 (unsure yet). My daughter will be 7.5 by that time. Praying my whole family is in good health (my mom has cancer and my dad has had some scary heart problems lately) after years of good health it sure seems like people are going downhill quickly :(
  • Options
    @belmont1785 I'm sorry to hear about your parents' health. Sending positive vibes your way. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, in 5 years, our ds will be almost 5! We will most likely have a second and potentially working on a third!  I would hope that we would either be looking to move south (Florida area) or already there, with both families! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    NxyNxy member
    edited May 2017
    In 5 years DD will be 8  :o and in school. This little one will be almost 5 and hopefully in pre-school. Aside from that, I have no idea. If DH decides to reenlist I really have no idea. Long term life plans aren't really our thing right now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'd want to have 2 kids by the time 5 years goes by. I could see maybe working at the same school district as a speech therapist, but at some point, I think I want to switch to birth-to-three services. Maybe when my kids are themselves out of the birth-to-three age range :smiley:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In 5 years, I hope everyone is happy and healthy still. I have older parents so, I am hopeful they are both still around and in good shape-as well as my in-laws. I would love to already have our 2nd kid and be settled into a routine that works for us. Would love to be in a house in the next year or two so in five, hopefully we are really in our forever home. I love my job so hopefully moved up but still with a company I love, and DH in a position at a company he loves-or being SAHD if I make enough. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    DD will be 8 and in school. This LO will be 5 and in either preschool or kindergarten (we'll see when the time comes). I may or may not remain a SAHM. DH and I occasionally discuss if I'll continue to stay home or not. Luckily, DH has a great career and we are already rather established. At this point, I can see myself being more of the volunteering school mom, gardening, etc vs returning to the workforce. I worked in management in the corporate world last and not positive I'd want to do that again. Time will tell. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    DD will be 7.5 years old in 5 years and this little guy will be almost 5. Hopefully we will have moved to a slightly bigger house in a better area. Our neighborhood is full of nice, older couples but the schools aren't the best. I'll be making the decision if I want to still stay home (if this guy is ready for kindergarten) or if I want to go back to work. Or hey maybe even go back to school. 
  • Options
    This LO will almost be 5, hopefully will have a little sibling, and maybe working on a third?! Who knows! We also want to adopt so we'll see how those cards fall. And hopefully we've bought a great home (we did Parade of Homes a few weeks ago and UGH want them all). I teach college part time and hopefully will still be doing that and a SAHM. And, tbh, will hopefully be at my pre-wedding weight  :p
  • Options
    donehuedonehue member
    @belmont1785 - so sorry to hear about your parents. This is kind of an emotional question!

This is our last planned baby, so we will have a 10yo, 7yo and a 5yo. We are in our forever home and have both been with the same company for 10+ years. We have had the same nanny for 5 years. I'm hoping there is a lot of just enjoying the good parts of life in our future! Kid activities, vacations, maybe some more DIY projects...

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• Options
    You know what this thread just reminded me of... when parents or well-meaning friends or nosy family members ask, "So when are you going to settle down?" The old me would have wanted to answer, "Fuck you that's when." (I wouldn't ever actually say it but...) Everybody is on their own timeline. Some people do married and kids and house by age 25, some of us don't. In answering this question I realize that having this kid and not having any immediate major goals- besides raising her- seems to mean I have finally "settled down." And that's pretty great. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    @DeansGirl14 I hear you! If someone asked me this question just last year, my answer would not be the above (I'm 26, single, and literally just started my career). Right now I'm living in the now and trying to figure out how I can give everything Landon needs plus some comfort items. I really based my above response on what my father was able to provide for me and my sister: a stable home, good food, love, and good healthcare. 
  • Options
    I don't think life will be too different except definitely busier with 3.  It's hard to imagine that DS1 will be finishing 8th grade and getting ready for HS, DS2 will be getting ready for 5th grade and #3 will be registered for K.  Both DH and I are happy with our jobs and I'm hoping we'll still be happy and advancing in our careers.  We expect our home to be a forever home.  I expect us to be stretched even thinner with all of the kids being in activities, but to also have help with friends/teammates and carpools.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I will be almost 32. I will have a 6 year old and an almost 5 year old. Probably 1 or 2 more kids. I'll be homeschooling, most likely. Who knows?!
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    @aehogan90 I didn't even think about how old I'll be! You literally just stopped me in my tracks and made me think about how my 20s will be over (thank god!)!
  • Options
    @tova24 I'm not sure how I'll feel at that point but I think I will be ready to done with my 20s!
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    I hadn't even thought about that... In 5 years, I'll be 40!  :o
  • Options
    LSP87LSP87 member
    I'll be 34 with a nearly 9 and 5 year old..I hope I'll be at a good point in my career where I can spend more time with the kids and maybe volunteer at their schools. I will hopefully have already gone on or be in the process of taking the kids to Disney World! I hope to have some fun adventures in the next few years with them. 
  • Options
    In 5 years I will have an almost 10 yr old, 5 yr old and who knows maybe a 2 or 3 year old. I love the area where we live so hopefully we're still here. I would like to be in a bigger house by then. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    dma0389dma0389 member
    In 5 years my 1st baby, DS, will be 8  yo & DD will be 5  yo...and I'll be 39!! ahhh! Never in my life or younger days think about being close to 40! LOL. We are just having two kids since we were blessed to have a son & now an upcoming girl!

We've tossed ideas about moving back to San Diego (DH is from there) but we shall see, we already have our family home but will it be our forever home? I don't know if I'll still want to be in Corporate America but would ideally like to start a business - consulting? come up with a patent of some sort? Own a fitness franchise (i.e. Pure Barre, Bar Method, Barre3)?  If not, at least advance in my career. Been done with school for some time now (still paying off my Master's) but hopefully DH will get his Professional Engineer (P.E.) license bec I won't. 

My parents, brother, and I have been looking at property investments and our next location we want to take a stab at is Oahu, HI or the Big Island. We shall see!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    OTmom3OTmom3 member
    Well, I'll have an almost 10 year old, 8 year old, and almost 5 year old which is insane. All three kids will be in the same school for I guess the one and only time ever. I think we will be living in a new home (single family), I'll still be working PRN as an occupational therapist, and maybe we'll have a dog? DH will probably still be teaching, though it would be awesome if he got into some sort of a administration or dept head role. My ultimate goal would also be to have a beach house/condo/anything.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17