August 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Mother's Day Edition

What do you want for Mother's Day? 

What are you doing for your Mom for Mother's Day? 

Re: GTKY: Mother's Day Edition

• Options
    I will be at the beach so I am super content with just that! DH does surprise me sometimes though and I'd love a necklace with my girls' (including baby-to-be) initials on it. I saw one on etsy that I showed him a while back but if I don't get that, I will be perfectly happy with the ocean. My parents hate gifts so I plan to just give my mom a call. They live out of state.
  • Options
    I'd be happy with cupcakes that I don't have to share and I'm thinking a pedicure. I mentioned if the Dyson blowdryer ever comes down in price, I'd want one. DH told me to get it for Mother's Day but no way am I spending $500 on a blowdryer!

My mom gets a card in the mail, a phone call, and a plant of her choice for her flower beds. I also call my grandmother. (They all live two states over)

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm hoping I don't have to cook for Mother's Day. DH & the kids usually cook for me.  :)

I'm taking my mom to lunch one day this week for her Mother's Day gift. There's an Indian restaurant we both love, and I found a Groupon for it over the weekend. Score! 
  • Options
    We celebrated with my mom early because she lives 4 hours away. I bought her a homemade lemon raspberry cheesecake from a local lady. It was sooooo good.

I'm not getting my hope up for anything really. I'm just hoping to spend the day with my hubby and daughter and not cook. I am saving for a mother's ring. But probably can't get it just yet. Nice weather, good food, and no tantrums from the two year old would be perfect in my opinion.
  • Options
    I got a really nice hair cut and color a few weeks ago and told DH that was my mother's day gift. I do hope to sneak in a pedicure, maybe Wednesday after my doctor's appointment. 

We're going to see my parents for the weekend. DH is playing in a golf tournament with my dad Saturday and my niece has her spring dance recital that night. We'll probably do church and lunch on Sunday. My mom always tells us not to buy her anything. I wish I had time to make her and MIL something.
  • Options
    I hate to put it like this but my MIL has kind of hijacked Mother's Day, in the sense that I don't have time to see my own mother the day of unless she joins the plans (our four parents get along fabulously and MIL always invites my  parents out for stuff). We spend MD at the local horse race track, which is always a fun time. My parents have joined on a few occasions but maybe only wager on one race, so I don't think they're that enthused about joining. 
    I may try to see my parents the day before, but I just spent this past weekend with them too due to my sister's birthday, so not sure. She definitely gets a card in the mail though and usually treated to a nice meal. 
    I'm a FTM so I have never had the holiday celebrated in honor of me though. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH's grad school graduation is on Sunday. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm be spending the day with my ILs :s DH will probably get me gift certificate for a mani/pedi
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    I am not planning on celebrating mothers day for me.  I do feel like a mom, but its a bitter sweet one for me this year, as *TW loss mentioned* If I hadnt lost my first, he/she would have been here *endTW* and there are a bunch of things that that baby should have been here for this coming weekend.  I think it will be easier if I spend my time celebrating my mom and my sisters graduation more.  I have no idea if DH is planning anything, and I dont plan on asking.  

For my mom, When I lived close, we always bought her a good danish (her fave) and come cute flowers, then we would buy something she wanted.  I havent been able to spend the day with her in 7 years, so this year will be more special.  We bought both my mom and MIL an Alex and Ani grandmother bracelet to give to them from little dude. MIL we will have dinner with her either before or after this weekend (havent decided yet) and my mom will be with us in Kansas, so Im sure we will do something fun with the whole family.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    dma0389dma0389 member
    I want a spa day for Mother's Day - prenatal massage and facial. Get away for a few hours to relax

We are having a family get together at my parents house for lunch next Sunday. Combining my bday and mother's day since it falls on the same weekend. We usually eat lunch and BBQ then relax. I might take a nap there too lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had planned our babymoon for mother's day weekend so we will most likely be in AZ and had planned on doing a 'mom's day brunch'.

All of that is a bit up in the air as I received a call from my dad last night that my mom had a small stroke (never had one before). She is stable, but as my sister lives in another state, I am the daughter who can help my dad etc. So, I am waiting on more news. Makes this mother's day more important and I am trying to hold it together right now. I had already purchased a card and a 'baby girl' charm for her pandora bracelet. Since she has 2 daughters and both of us will have daughters, I thought it was fitting. Good thoughts are appreciated. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 prayers for your mama!
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 T&P with your family!
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    @smallbutmighty77 thinking of your family. Hoping she's ok. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @smallbutmighty77 T&P are with you and your mother! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • Options
    ugh @smallbutmighty77
    so sorry to hear! Sending thoughts/ prayers your way. Good to hear she's stable though. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 prayers out your way

As far as mother's day I have no idea what I am getting my mom. We just might take her out to eat as my dad celebrated it yesterday because he will be working mother's day, he took mom, sil, and I families to eat. 

As for me all I want to do is sleep all day but DH said he has something he has been planning for mother's day. I know he has a football game saturday so I will be tired that sleeping in would be lovely and perfect for me.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. It is appreciated. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
  • Options
    Thinking of you @smallbutmighty77 I hope that your mom has good recovery!

My mom is very low key (in general) but especially about Mother's Day, so I plan to give her a call. Taking her cue about the holiday I plan to "celebrate" in a similar low key and no expectations fashion as time goes on.

My MIL also kinda hijacked the holiday as her birthday is close to or often falls on Mother's Day, and she's put the expectation out that MD is VERY IMPORTANT to her. So we usually spend a day on MD weekend doing something for her. I'm not sure how or if that's going to change when we have the baby here....

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sending positive thoughts your way @smallbutmighty77

I'm getting a prenatal massage for Mother's Day and after my husband suggest it he gave me the idea to get a massage for my mom as well. So we both gave appointments to get pampered on Mother's Day and then will probably go have a nice lunch. 
  • Options
    @JCPSand2B Your plan sounds soo nice. DH got my mom and I a set of massages one Christmas and it was a blast spending the day together. 

@smallbutmighty77 So sorry to hear that.. will be thinking of you and your mom!

@littlebug2010 I'm sorry this Mother's Day will be a bittersweet one for you. It's 100% okay to feel sad thinking about those milestones. Next year you will have your new sweet baby to cuddle and celebrate the day with!

No big plans here either. Will probably have my family up for lunch Saturday or Sunday. In France, they oddly celebrate Mother's Day on a different date in May than we do in the US. So that makes it easy to avoid competing priorities.. even though we're so far away from MIL that we wouldn't actually "do" anything besides send flowers or talk on Skype. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    @smallbutmighty77 think of you. 

My my birthday is this week so we are actually doing a little beach vacation (which unfortunately has been less than amazing thanks to the bright idea of bringing the 2.5 year old along for the fun- he's just realizing that he is two and is proving it any chance he gets). 

Im calling this mothersbabymoonbirthday, but have ordered myself a little bracelet too. 
  • Options
    NxyNxy member
    I'm not really sure what we'll be doing. If it's nice we might head out somewhere if not I see DD and I taking me out to eat. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 sending prayers to your mom!

Mothers Day... ugh.  Both my mom and DHs mom are local, so we are pretty much obligated to spend the day with them.  MIL hates my mom, so doing a joint celebration is out of the question.  This year, it's brunch with my mom, and dinner with MIL.  Basically no celebration for me.  My mom at least acknowledges that I'm a mom also and attempts to make me feel special. MIL doesn't at all, and still makes it all about herself.  DH is stupid and doesn't get why it frustrates me.  I think next year I'm putting my foot down and refusing to do anything with either side and spending the day with my two kids.  I'll gladly put a gift in the mail, or celebrate them a different day,  but I want a day to celebrate with my own kids.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    FTM, so really don't need anything for Mothers Day. I feel like my parents will get me something, but I really don't want anything.
    Not doing anything for actual Mothers Day, but we are celebrating DHs bday and Mothers Day on Saturday. Going out for dinner and I got my mom a loose leaf tea brewer and a container to hold her tea in as a gift.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    @smallbutmighty77 I hope everything is okay with your mom, soon!

I just put 5 cards in the mail (my mom, MIL, our 3 living grandmothers). They are all in New England and we are in California so we'll have many phone calls to make. My mom will be spending the day with her mom which makes me really happy :) And we'll be back in Boston 3 days after Mother's Day. DH's grandmother and my other grandmother (dad's mom) are in assisted living...in the same facility right across the hall from each other and about 5 minutes from my mom's where we'll stay so I'll see them very soon, then my other grandmother at my sister's graduation right after that.

We're not planning to do anything for me for mother's day (FTM) but DH and I did sign up for a pizza on the grill cooking class (before realizing it was mother's day) which I'm excited for. Seems more like a father's day activity so I'm curious how many mother-daughter pairs will be in the class.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @smallbutmighty77 praying for your mom! Keep us updated.

@littlebug2010 so much love lady. I know it'll be hard, but hopefully will help having this LO in your belly. 

Nothing for me for MD (FTM), but DH is sweet and keeps talking about how it'll be my first. My mom drives me nuts and is thankfully a state away, so just a card/phone call. Same for MIL.

I do plan, however, to send flowers to my girlfriends who are struggling to get pregnant. Just kind of a "hey, I know this day sucks for you" gift. I would also do that for any friends who lost a LO recently but thankfully don't have any that have been affected by that.
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 Thats fantastic to hear! Strokes are scary, but I know from personal experience that you can recover from them, and becuase she had a minor one, you really should be optimistic.  My Moms mom had a massive stroke in her brain stem in 1999 (she should have died from it). She is still around today at 81.  She had to re-learn everything, but for many years, was a fine walker, and had full function in both hands.  As she has gotten older, its been hard, and she is having some issues with dementia, but she is still going strong!  Keep us updated, and know that you and your mom are in my T&Ps.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    @littlebug2010 thanks, that is re-assuring. It is a bit scary still b/c she has blood clots in the arteries on both sides of her neck and the one on the right that think is what caused the stroke. She is having surgery on that one, than rehab and in a month they will do the other side. She has other health issues that make it too risky they said to do both.
    Her left side is still numb, but she can close her hand, so that is progress.
    Unfortunately, she was just diagnosed last week with a degenerative disc in her back that was pressing on a nerve so she was supposed to start PT or do surgery for that and now it has to wait. It is going to be a long marathon from here, but at least she is speaking and coherent so-we are thankful. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
  • Options
    I don't think my DH would think to do anything this mothers day which is okay with me (FTM) but I am getting my mom the E initial Alex and Ani bracelet from little girl, a bottle of wine (which I can't wait to go in and buy with my big belly hahha) and a Starbucks gift card. Nothing crazy!
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 Im glad there is a good plan in place! Recovery is definitely an ultra marathon, but totally possible!  Its amazing that she is speaking and coherent!  Its always nice when you can speak with them and they understand what you are saying! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    LSP87LSP87 member
    I'm getting a massage on Saturday! 

I got my mom a watch and my mother in law a gift card. Planning on a lunch for my mom sometime and a visit with my mother in law on Friday. 
  • Options
    lewlivlewliv member
    @smallbutmighty77 I'm glad your mom is doing well. Sending positive vibes  <3

DH wanted to celebrate but I told him that I didn't want. I told we should do something special for his mom since next year we will start sharing the day. 

But since I'm at The Venetian, and the spa here is awesome, I did get a much deserved massage!
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 I hope your mom recovers as quickly as possible.  Thinking of you and sending healthy vibes.

DH and BIL are spending the weekend taking apart beds and rearranging 3 rooms in between taking DS1 to some of his games while I take DS2 to other activities.  Having the rooms settled and 1 less thing to stress about will be better than any traditional Mother's Day gift.  DS1 has a soccer game on Sunday and while I'd rather be relaxing or doing some activity with DH and the kids, I don't mind that we have a hectic day/weekend.  Things will slow down eventually.

We live 2+ hours from my parents.  I'm kind of glad that sports have been preventing us from traveling there over Mother's Day weekend for the past few years.  Normally, we'd end up at an overcrowded restaurant for brunch with my whole family.  It was usually stressful because restaurants seem to have trouble handling the crowds, the places were loud, we'd have to wait even when we arrived on time for a reservation, food took forever to come out, etc. I'm happy to avoid restaurants on typical eating out holidays.  I'll definitely call my mom and hopefully have time to get her a card.  She's impossible to shop for and doesn't need anything so I don't have plans to get her a gift.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Last night DH asked me, a FTM, if I wanted anything for Mother's Day. He goes, "[Friend] said I'd earn major brownie points by getting you something." I laughed and said, "You would have gotten more brownie points if you'd just surprised me rather than ask!" He responded, "Well you don't like surprises." I asked, "Since when?? Anyway, if you're so inclined to get me something for MD I would very much appreciate it."

.... Men! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last night DH asked me, a FTM, if I wanted anything for Mother's Day. He goes, "[Friend] said I'd earn major brownie points by getting you something." I laughed and said, "You would have gotten more brownie points if you'd just surprised me rather than ask!" He responded, "Well you don't like surprises." I asked, "Since when?? Anyway, if you're so inclined to get me something for MD I would very much appreciate it."

.... Men! 
    Where do they get these ideas? For the first 5 years of our marriage my husband supposedly thought I hated flowers. I have no idea how but he swears I told him that.
    I was visibly upset one day and said something about how he's never even bought me even a single rose for my bday/anniversary (not expecting extravagant things) and he said "BUT YOU HATE FLOWERS!!!" 
    I was like....uhm what??? I never said that!!!
  • Options
    Thank you all, my mom is doing well. Had surgery on thursday and was moved to rehab late today. Should have an idea on how long she will be there shortly. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss