TTC After a Loss
Options

Intro and question about 1st appointment after MC

Hi,

I apologize in advance if I duplicated a thread, but I wasn't really sure where to post this. I had my first miscarriage at 9 weeks and a D&C yesterday. I'm happy to have this community for support as I'm definitely struggling emotionally. I've basically had doctors telling me for 3 weeks this was likely happening and had it confirmed on 5/1 (my husbands birthday too). I have to call and schedule my follow up appointment, but I was curious what should I expect to happen at the 2 weeks follow up appointment? Are there any tests or anything that you had/or any advice? I'm feeling a little lost.

Also, I don't know that I'll be emotionally ready, but when we're you told you could TTC again? 

Of course, I will check with my doctor about any questions too, but just curious. 

Thanks in advance.

Re: Intro and question about 1st appointment after MC

• Options
    hdaleyhdaley member
    I did not have a D&C but I went to my dr that day after it was confirmed in the ER I had a miscarriage.  She did an ultrasound to make sure things were empty. They were I didn't need a D&C. 

They will probably do blood work to check your levels.  They would have with me but I had them checked the day before in the ER.

we were told we could start trying immediately.  She preferred us to wait one cycle for dating purposes.  But then again I didn't have a D&C.

so sorry for your loss.  This is a sisterhood no one wants to belong to. Hugs.

Baby #1: BFP on 10/12/2011, EDD 6/24/2012 Born: 6/16/2012 Boy!

Baby #2: BFP on 11/11/2016, EDD 7/25/2017 - MC 1/2/2017

• Options
    jchpgjchpg member
    @vally498 I'm sorry you find yourself here. I didnt have a D&C- but used cytotec. My doctor said no trying for at least two weeks for the risk of infection. Otherwise it was ok. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a nmc but at my follow up they did an ultrasound and asked me when I stopped bleeding. My follow up was 10 days after it occurred so they told me I could start ttc immediately. They also made me get blood work until my levels were below 5. Please be easy on yourself and if you don't feel ready imo it's better to wait.
    So sorry for your loss. 
  • Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss and that you find yourself here. I hope we can bring you comfort in this sad and isolating time. Don't apologize for starting new threads. We will meet you where you are.

I've had two MMC with D&C/D&E procedures. I always have a number of follow ups. At 2 weeks my OB did an ultrasound to make sure there was no remaining pregnancy tissue and to just see if she thought I would be ovulating soon...

I was told after my first MC to wait one cycle to try again, after the 2nd I heard mixed recommendations from different doctors - my original OB said 1 cycle was fine but the OB that did my D&E wanted me to wait at least two to give my cervix more time to heal and strengthen after it was forced to dialate more than once in a 12 month span. It was really refreshing for me to hear a 'why' so I encourage you to ask your doctor their recommendation but also why that is the recommendation.

The physical healing was much easier than the mental for me, so be kind to yourself, speak up for yourself with your OB, husband, work, etc. Take days off, ask for therapist and support group recs... 

Wishing you a quick recovery and short stay on this board..
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies and support. This really helpful to know. I'm so sorry you're all here too, but listening to you really helps. 
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss and that you find yourself here.  I've had 2 d & cs.  I had follow up at the two week mark both times.  After 1st time I was told I could have sex 10 days later and 2nd one it was 2 weeks.  However both times I was told we could try once first AF arrived.  My appt consisted of an exam much like annual exam. Neither time did they notice any signs of infection and cervix felt normal so I didn't have any other testing done. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017

So sorry for your loss. My first loss was a D&C, my follow-up appointment was quick and easy (how are you feeling etc). I would advise requesting a beta to ensure that your HCG numbers are going down. My doctor advised to wait 5 weeks before trying again. He didn't see any issues in trying to get pregnant again after the loss.

*TW*: I went on to get immediately pregnant after the 5 weeks, with no return of a period. This ended in a chemical pregnancy. Next month, we were pregnant again but fell into the same situation with another chemical pregnancy. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that my period never returned or didn't have enough time to heal (or something else going on), but I wish I had waited until at least my period returned to try again. I also wish I had sent the baby for genetic testing. We decided against this as our 2 y/o son was born healthy. I've now been referred to infertility for 3 losses (secondary infertility). I would really discuss your plans to TTC again and risk for starting to try again at your follow-up and take into consideration how easily you have fell pregnant in the past. On the other end, I have heard of plenty of women who fall pregnant right after a D&C (seems to increase fertility for some women) and go on to have healthy babies so it's really up to you and your doctor what you are comfortable with physically and emotionally.