Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

3 year old won't use the potty

My son just turned 3 last week and he has no desire to use the potty! I've tried everything and he just isn't interested! Any advice or validation from others with similar experiences?? 

Re: 3 year old won't use the potty

• Options
    Check out the book "Oh Crap! Potty Training!" from your local library or buy it on amazon. It helped me tremendously in potty training my son. There are lots of helpful tips and tricks in the book. Pretty much though, if he doesn't have any learning delays or anything like that, and he's just not interested, then you're just going to have to work hard to make him do it at this point. If he's capable, he doesn't get a choice. The author of the book discusses the fact that once a child is older than three, the power struggles surrounding potty only get worse.
  • Options
    seeaseea member
    My DSS wouldn't use the potty. His dad even bought a tablet as a potty reward (15 mins screen time for pee, 20 for poo). I think one day after we all moved in together I just sat him down and told him there were no more diapers, and if he wanted the diapers he had to have bottles and baby food. He was actually totally okay with that until he realized babies don't get kool-aid or chocolate milk, or get to watch tv. Two weeks later he wasn't even wetting the bed. I was getting tired of changing a 4 year old. 
    Now my DSD will use the potty as long as she doesn't have a diaper or underwear on, unless she's watching tv and no one reminds her. I think it's an actual method, pantless potty training. She's 2y9m.