Babies on the Brain

MTHFR Gene?

So I have done genetic testing through one of those sites and seem to have a double mutation for MTHFR. I fortunately appear to have two healthy kids, but was wondering if this is something I should monitor if I do want another? I always take prenatals at least 3 months before trying to conceive, but have read that they might not actually be sufficient?

Re: MTHFR Gene?

• edited May 2017
    No idea but I would definitely bring it up with your OB. Hopefully it won't give any problems :)

Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I don't know much about it, except that it's associated with tongue and lip ties (DS is tied). I've heard that folate over folic acid is recommended for those with the mthfr gene mutation, because it's processed differently. That is why I take prenatals with folate. I think they tend to be pricier, though.

But yes, talk to your doctor about the risks. Genetics are kind of a weird grab bag - you never know what you're going to get.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was born with a tongue tie and pretty sure both my kids had lip ties (although nothing was done for either of them). Kind of upset I didn't know about this sooner. 

• I don't have any idea, but every time I see that acronym, I think of Samuel L Jackon's favorite word (which I'm not sure if I can post on here).
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • @sorarose - if it's not problematic for your kids, then it's really not a big deal.

We can't say the F word? Has the bump's guidelines really gotten that strict since I was last here?!

Or is that just the culture of this board?

• I honestly don't know, which is why I erred on the side of caution, lol. I have no problem with swearing. I think I'll end up being that mom who's like "Okay, just don't say that around Gramma R", which is my husband's mom.
  • @dreamscapes_ My dad used to always tell me that "there are no 'bad' words", simply that some people feel uncomfortable with certain words.
  • @JennyColada I agree with your dad!