September 2016 Moms
Options

May Randoms

Re: May Randoms

• Options
    BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited May 2017
    @createillumination thanks for the support. Swing naps = no crying and longer naps. It's just really hard for me to choose the crib or get motivated to nap train. He'll roll/crawl around and whine/cry for longer than he'll actually sleep. He's gotten really good at putting himself down to sleep at bedtime with no crying or minimal whining/crying so perhaps if I tried the crib for naps, id be pleasantly surprised. I've told myself and my H that when we move, that will be the end of the swing. It has been problematic for when we try and go out during the weekends. I wish we could put lo down for naps at people's homes instead of rushing home or letting lo stay up and becoming  overtired. 

• Options
    Does anyone know if I can make a combination bottle (half breastmilk/half formula) ahead of time? I'd love to have hid bottles made the night before and ready to go in the fridge. 

He also takes straight bottles of formula and straight bottles of breastmilk. I know I can prepare bottles of breastmilk ahead of time. Can I with formula?

I have decided to exclusively give him bottles now. He is almost 8 months and I'm concerned about his weight (born 9 and just 15 now). I want to be able to see how much he's getting. Need formula to supplement a low milk supply. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Sbrown721 yes you can. I also supplement with formula so many of LOs bottles are "cocktails". As long as you refrigerate the prepared bottle right away and LO drinks it within 24hrs, you are fine. 
  • Options
    It's 9am and I'm already ready to clock out.  This will be a long week!
    Moved LO into her own room this weekend.  A bit sad/nervous about it.  But happy to not have to tip toe around anymore in our room. LO also seemed to start enjoying solids this weekend, so she had more than ever. Along w some pooplosions  :s She picked up the sign "more" to go along with her love of new foods
  • Options
    We taught Ellie milk but she now uses it when she wants anything, so I think she thinks it means I want! Ha ha. I'm trying more and she isn't picking up on it. She just started blowing kisses though. So cute.
  • Options
    Omg! LO is finding after last hair in the house (I am still shedding and we have 2 dogs) and sticking it in his mouth! I vacuum where he plays multiple times a day and he still finds them! Anyone else? He seems to do it even more when he's frustrated. He gets frustrated since he's not crawling yet. 8 months tomorrow!
  • Options
    Ha @Sbrown721! Dang kid! Ours doesn't put it in her mouth, but she's like our own little mop. Army crawling everywhere and getting all the dog hair/dirt all over her. Is there anything he likes to hold to keep his hands busy instead?
    i think my hair finally quit shedding. And now the stuff that's growing back is all spikey on the sides of my head  :|
  • Options
    So we just had out first vacation with LO and the car ride went pretty good. We went to Gatlinburg which is around 4.5 hours away. He napped pretty good in his carseat but if he was awake after about and hour he got fussy. We just kept handing him different toys to try and buy us some time lol. We are also going to Florida in June and my husband wants to drive that too...but that's a 15 hour drive so I'm not too sure about that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Sbrown721 omg my LO eats so much dog hair just incidentally. It fills the house even if I do vacvume everyday and just sticks to her little hands and toys. Seems to be fine...I just tell myself that she is building a great immune system!
  • Options
    Ditto on the hair consumption. X eats it all the time. We have two dogs and a cat so it is impossible to have a hair free house. I find it in his toes all the time. Like @jellybiehn said building up the immune system.
  • Options
    Hair everywhere at my house too. I think my hair has stopped shedding, but my lo just LOVES to grab and yank at my hair and has pulled out fist fulls. 
  • Options
    Can I just say how glad I am that I'm not the only one w a baby covered in pet hair?!  :D
  • Options
    Anyone's LO still not sleeping through the night? Everyone just keeps saying that it will happen but He's 8 months now and still sometimes waking up multiple times. And when he does sleep through its when he is home with my husband while I am working. We have a bedtime routine we stick to every night. I think I'm going to start letting him CIO soon. It just stinks because then I'm up anyway just listening to him cry .
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Totally not sleeping thru the night. Was starting to get stressed about it and then I read this just yesterday.  Reminded me to calm the hell down. (Totally not judging anyone on sleep training stuff, do whatever you need!)
    https://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/
  • Options
    I was just having a convo with my SIL how there are such high expectations of babies to sleep through the night. We did do cio and he is mostly sleeping through the night and mostly good at putting himself to sleep. Although this sleeping through the night more consistently just happened like 2-3 weeks ago. We definitely have off nights and i will still intervene if his crying is more of a sad loud cry or goes on for longer then 5-10minutes. Does he go right back to sleep after you feed him? 

• Options
    Most of the times yes but not always he will just want me to hold him while he sleeps. Part of me loves it but anothe part of me misses sleep and I also don't want him to rely on me holding him to sleep, it makes it difficult if someone else is watching him. Also our big problem will be getting him to sleep once he is over 1 and we stop doing bottles because he always falls asleep eating the bottle he gets before bed, and during the day falls asleep for naps after I'm done breastfeeding. So he really doesn't know how to fall asleep on his own very well
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well good luck if you go the cio route. It's really hard but does teach them self soothing skills. My H and I agreed that it was an easier decision for us because our babe for the most part was never a cuddler who could fall asleep easily in our arms. Most of the time if we tried to rock him he would just fight sleep hard and it was a longer process than just letting him cry for a bit. 
  • Options
    @BabyBoyH92016 Dylan is Such a cuddler which makes it so hard. I honestly don't mind rocking him before sleep or naps but I'm afraid it's just going to make it harder in the long run for him to learn how to sleep on his own. Any second time mom's have any thoughts? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh I think X is finally teething. He cries out in burst of painful cries and has a runny nose. I know he isn't sick since we literally just cane from his well baby visit for his 9 months check up. My poor baby is miserable and hate I can't do anything for him. On plus side pediatrician is finally off my back about X's weight. He finally realized he is just a petite guy. He said as long as he stays consistent on the graph, poor kid doesn't plot but stays consistent on where he plots, then we are good. I just have a long skinny guy.
  • Options
    @drabong88 I rocked/nursed both of my older kids to sleep well beyond age one. Both did fine going to bed if I wasn't there. And they just slowly outgrew it. They weaned themselves from the boob and the rocking got shorter and shorter. My son just turned 4 and asks to be rocked for a few min before bed still, and I honestly don't mind. It won't last long.
    @jenkar01 bummer on teeth! But good on the doc! You don't need someone putting unwanted thoughts in your head about his growth!
  • Options
    Sbrown721Sbrown721 member
    edited May 2017
    @jenkar01 my LO is long and skinny too! He has hung around 5th percentile for weight. He has always had trouble putting on weight. He was born 9 lbs and is 16 now. He lost weight between 6 and 7 months! I have always been worried about it as I have always struggled to maintain my supply. Aren't you the one with an oversupply? I finally decided to exclusively pump and I'm definitely not making enough! About 2 oz every 4 hours. So at 8 months we have to supplement with formula which he doesn't mind at all. He bumped to the 7th percentile after a week of exclusive bottles 
  • Options
    Yes I am the one with an oversupply. I still get about 6-8 oz when I pump and X is going to be 9 months in two days. He was 5# 7.8oz at birth and is now 15# 5.5 oz so he is growing the way he should just isn't plotting. This kid loves good. He eats a bottle every three hours while awake and eats baby food about three times a day. He is just so crazy active. Ever since he learned to crawl and pull himself up there is not stopping him. His grandparents call him a mountain goat. He is definitely going to keep me on my toes.
  • Options
    @sbrown721 I am currently still BF but have noticed when I pump in the morning and at night I have started gettin much less then I used to. I'm really hoping to make it to a year but am not sure I'm gonna make it. I am going to make some lactation cookies I saw a recipe for and see if they help at all. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @jenkar01 We have our 9 month well baby this week and I am curious about her weight gain. I know she is getting longer but she is still such a tiny peanut. Our doc has been really good about reasuring me on her growth even as she has been in the 10th - 15th percentile. As long as she was gaining she was happy. 

I thought I would get to stop worrying about my supply by 9 months but it really never goes away does it ? I think my hormones are responsible for the ups and downs in supply right now. Getting back on lactation cookies sounds good....at least they taste better than the Mothers Milk Tea! 
  • Options
    We finally have some teeth coming! This weekend we noticed that LOs top two teeth have cut through. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to come through? I had been checking LOs bottom gums since those typically come first, but it appears as though he will get his top two first.
  • Options
    It's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one with a milk supply that's going down! I don't have any milk reserves bc I've always had a low supply and DH and I spent 5 days in New Orleans without LO so all my reserves were used up then. Oh well. Proud I got to 8 months! 

As as far as teething goes, LO turned 8 months last week and he has 6 teeth! He got them early. Once you can see the tooth through the gum I'd say it takes about a week. Good luck!
  • Options
    I think we may have tooth number 2 on its way...she was definitely teething level cranky today. She only has the 1 bottom tooth right now but I think I see it's little buddy coming.

Are 'teething fevers' really a thing? I have noticed her running a little warmer and sweaty now and then but no indications she is sick. 
  • Options
    My supply has dropped way down. Mostly because I was put back on BCP. But it's gotten worse again. I'm not pumping enough for her daycare bottles anymore. It's so hard. It's a bittersweet thing because I hate all the time and work involved with pumping and cleaning etc, but I also don't want it to end. Or I guess I want it to end on my terms. Just hoping I can make it to a year or close to. We've all done so well making it this far!
  • Options
    @rock1cherry yes! Exactly this. 
  • Options
    Yup...I hate pumping and exclusively do so at this point to make sure lo gets enough. However, if my suppy were to completely disappear tomorrow, I would be a little upset. It's so weird. I agree with @rock1cherry that I would like it to happen on my terms. 
  • Options
    @jellybiehn teething fevers are totally a thing! 
    My supply is definitely less too. I've had over supply, so it's still enough, but crazy how our bodies do this! I got my first pp period this past wknd, prbly affected my supply too. Hoping the period stays away and isn't a regular thing yet...
  • Options
    I haven't gotten my period yet, but with my supply being so low (only make 6-10 oz/day at this point) I'm thinking I will have it soon  :(
  • Options
    I have a vacation dilemma. My husband wants to go to Hawaii in October because a good friend of his will be vacationing there with his family. The flight from where I live to Hawaii is 9 hrs and some change, and that's non-stop. I don't even think we can get a non stop flight bc there are very few available and they are extremely expensive. My lo is not a lap baby. He is very active and moves all the time. I can't imagine that he will do well on a flight that long in addition to travel to and from the airports, and all the waiting around. 

We would be sharing a 4 bedroom home with another family that has 5 kids. So that's 6 kids with totally different nap schedules, bedtimes, and wake-up times. I'm sure it's going to be loud. If my lo was a mellow, go with the flow, fall asleep anywhere kind of baby this wouldn't be an issue, but he's not.

I would love a beach vacation and I have always wanted to go to Hawaii, but my gut is telling me that I would be setting myself up for a week of exhaustion, chaos, and a fussy tired baby.

Am i overreacting? At nearly 9 months I don't think my lo could handle a trip like this, but is it possible that he'd do fine at 13 months?
  • Options
    @BabyBoyH92016 I really think you should go! I took my LO on his first trip and I was soo nervous! I was by myself which didn't help either! Just bring snacks and buy him quiet toys. Don't show him the toys until you're all settled in on the plsne! If the snack is new to him too then all the better! I bet all the action in the house and all the fun vacation activities will really wear him out each day. Not to mention all of the fun you'll have! Moms need fun too!!
  • Options
    BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited June 2017
    @Sbrown721 Thanks! Those are all good suggestions. I would feel badly passing this vaca up. This other family lives in another state and rarely travels with 5 kids, so an opportunity like this does not come up often...but my nerves are taking over especially since the hubs wants to book things soon. I'm a worrier so of course I'm just thinking about all the bad things that may or may not happen. I just hope my lo chills out a little bit in the next 4 months. 

P.S. You are brave for doing a long trip ALONE with your baby. My hubs travels for work every few months and always asks if I want to fly out to meet him so we can have a weekend in a fun city, and I always turn him down. I wish I wasn't such a nervous person when it comes to traveling or didn't get so stressed out when lo fusses...but he honestly is such an active high energy baby. 
  • Options
    Oh man. I've traveled quite a bit w the kiddos, but I will say that that will NOT be an escape for you. It will be more work for you. More time trying to get LO to sleep/eat/play/not cry. I've done trips w groups w an infant and sat up in a room while everyone is having fun trying to get my kid to sleep. Or being up all night because of the baby and worrying about who else in the house is hearing the baby... And then the next morning I have to pretend to be enjoying things while running on 2hrs sleep...
    Sure, you'll all survive, fun moments will be had. Just make sure you prep yourself for sucky times too!! You're brave for considering it!
  • Options
    We have a trip planned in July that would be an 8+ hour car ride. I was joking about just driving through the night so that we would not disrupt her schedule and hopefully she would just sleep longer in the car....then it started to sound not so bad. We are actually considering it! 

I think letting go of the control and comfort I have here at home is the hard part. I'm trying to focus on the fun she will have and not the obsticals. ( horrible nap conditions, no privacy for nursing) 

I'm also worrying about all the time we will be spending around pools and lakes this summer. LO is only 15 lbs and too small for all the safety stuff I have been looking at. We would have to get an infant life jacket ($$). My husband is acting like it is overkill. Is this just Ftm nerves? What is everybody else doing?  I just feel like the saying ' better safe than sorry' was made for babies!  
  • Options
    @hejo2016 I agree that all vacations with little ones can be miserable at times. Hawaii may just be a little too far and too expensive to do if I'm not going to fully enjoy it or be able to do all the awesome activities Hawaii has to offer. I think the best thing to do is to wait. 
  • Options
    @jellybiehn are you concerned about LO crawling into a pool? Or do you mean you'll be out on a boat? If I was out on a boat, I'd for sure get a life jacket. But playing near a lake/pool, prbly not... pools scare the shit out of me though. We are in year round swimming area and there's so many drownings. We had a close call with our son and I was RIGHT THERE. Kids are crazy. That being said, I'm more worried about toddler phase and water, not as much infant.
    Have you seen the ISR classes for infants? I've looked into it and might go for it.
    Has anyone used these reusable pouches? Considering it. Even my older kids like the yogurt and fruit pouches.

• Options
    @hejo2016 Not too worried about pools ( well that's not true I should say LESS worried about pools), it's the cottages and lakes and docks that have me worried. Just wish she would fit in the cute little floater vests to give me piece of mind. There will be 10 or so kids plus their parents at these cottages and it just makes me nervous. I would definitely have her in one on a boat so I think I will just buy one anyway as I would not expect anyone we visit to have one in her size already.

I have been looking for those pouches in stores. I make her food and just have them in frozen cubes right now but always thought having some ready to go in the pouches would be great. Plus I like that they are reusable.