December 2017 Moms

Plus Size Mama Check-In 4/29

There seemed to be some interest in a plus size pregnancy check in, so here it is! Also, if you have any suggestions for questions/format of this check-in, please let me know!

How far along? How big is baby? 

Rants/Raves? 

Upcoming appointments?

Questions or concerns?

Any questions for second time plus moms?

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? How will you overcome it? 
Me 29 I Him 26
Married 4/22/16
TTC 9/2015
**TW**
BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
TTCAL 6/15/16
BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
BabyFetus Ticker
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Plus Size Mama Check-In 4/29

• vvitchhazelvvitchhazel member
    edited April 2017

How far along? How big is baby? 8+4; raspberry

Rants/Raves? Not loving how much bigger I already look, especially when my appetite is pretty much gone. I can barely eat, but I just keep bloating! 

Upcoming appointments? Monday! I can't wait!!!

Questions or concerns? Not at the moment.

Any questions for second time plus moms? I'm a STM PSM! Bring on the questions! 

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? How will you overcome it? I mean, it won't be the BIGGEST struggle, but finding plus size maternity clothes is the pits. I'm really looking forward to trying to find something to wear for the August and October weddings we have to go to. NOT! 

Edited because apparently I don't know how far along I am.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How far along? How big is baby? 9w1d, cherry

Rants/Raves? I have to do an early glucose test and I'm nervous about it!

Upcoming appointments? Friday! I still have to decide if we want to do any optional testing, this is a big decision! 

Questions or concerns? None today

Any questions for second time plus moms? None I can think of! 

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? How will you overcome it? I have a lot of fears/concerns in general but my biggest one is getting GD, preeclampsia, or anything like that. I am perfectly healthy now, so I am going to try to eat well and stay active to keep it that way! 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @vvitchhazel have you heard of pink blush? They have so many beautiful plus size maternity dresses I'm sure you can find something for the weddings! 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

• How far along? How big is baby? 6 weeks 5days - a sweet pea

Rants/Raves? My MS hits just before dinner everyday... really makes cooking dinner hard... DH has been really supportive but I feel so guilty!

Upcoming appointments? U/S on 5/9 and then appointment with OB on 5/10

Questions or concerns? I'm very anxious about weight gain/loss... so far I am now down 7lbs in a little over a week, I'm eating healthier, bUT skipping dinner almost nightly doesn't help
    And I'm anxious about GD testing... my Dr. will have me do it twice, once around 10 weeks and again when everyone else does it

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? How will you overcome it?   I will have to put more thought into this question...
  • I am interested in this thread. Sorry I didn't get in on it last week. 

I have lots of fears about being fat and pregnant. I have size L boobs, so I'm very concerned about that making breastfeeding really hard. 

Like @ktcakes87 I'm also scared that I'll get preeclampsia and other serious complications. I try to remind myself that lots of skinny people get preeclampsia, so it's not a guarantee. Also I worry about gaining a ton of weight and not being able to ever feel normal or attractive again. 
    SN used to be soemthingclever
    Me: 28 DH: 35
    Dx PCOS May 2015
    Baby #1 due 12/7/17
  • @stillclever17 I have DDDs and while BFing for me was slightly more difficult, it was totally doable once you get the hang of it. I breastfed for a year, until my daughter weaned herself. I even did it in public without any issues. There's definitely a greater risk of exposing yourself when you've got big boobs, but feeding my baby was way more important than caring about that. And I never used a cover, much to my MILs chagrin. It takes some practice to find your flow, but then it becomes second nature! Let me know if you have any questions! I loved breastfeeding and I wouldn't want anyone to be afraid or anxious because of their size.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @vvitchhazel Thanks. I don't care at all about exposing my boobs. I'm not modest at all, and if my baby is hungry, all bets are off. I'm more concerned about not being able to hold my boob with one hand (I need both hands) or engorgement making them even more enormous and completely unmanageable. 
    Dx PCOS May 2015
    Baby #1 due 12/7/17
  • I was so worried my last pregnancy about gd and although I did develope preeclampsia I never developed gd so everyone is different.

the app won't let me copy the questions right now so I will have to answer later :neutral:
    Beautiful Baby Girl Amelia Marie
    Born May 25, 2016
    Angel Baby January 20th, 2017
    Baby #2 Due December 6th 2017
  • @stillclever17 My boobs are an H normally and went up to a J while breast feeding.  It was a little more difficult for me when my DS was very small in that I felt like I needed to support my boob with one hand and hold him with the other.  I also always felt like I needed a pillow in order to help support my boob/the baby, but that was more because it hurt my back not to have one.  That being said it was definitely doable and I plan on doing it again with this LO!  
  • @TigerCakes Having trouble supporting my boob and the baby is my big concern. I'm glad it worked out for you. Gives me hope. I wish there was a way I could practice, but I doubt anyone would let me borrow their newborn.
    Dx PCOS May 2015
    Baby #1 due 12/7/17
  • How far along? How big is baby? 9 weeks!  Baby is the size of a cherry.

Rants/Raves? I had a smoothie for breakfast, which is the first healthy thing I've been able to stomach in a while, so I'll call that a win.

Upcoming appointments?  I had an appointment yesterday and won't go back until May 23rd.  We met with our doctor for the first time (I'm staying at the same practice but wanted to switch to a female OB; even though our male doctor was awesome I was never 100% comfortable with him) and had another US.  I'm relieved everything looked good but it is still so early there wasn't a lot to see and we didn't hear the heart beat, but the doctor could see it.  

Questions or concerns? I was already overweight when I had DS last year and I gained about 10 or 20 pounds after he was born (I can't remember exactly what I weighed).  So I already feel like a whale and I just really wish I had lost a little weight before getting pregnant again.  I am really hoping to stay active and eat healthy because I know that can go a long way towards keeping the pregnancy healthy.  However, with DS I had such bad RLP even early on that I couldn't walk for more than a couple minutes and I hear the pain gets even worse the second time around.  I think I'll have to be more creative, maybe water aerobics and swimming won't be as bad?

Any questions for second time plus moms?  STM here.   :)

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? How will you overcome it? I think my self-esteem is going to take a big hit, especially with it being summer and not being able to hide behind my clothes.  I will be a matron of honor at my sister's wedding in September and I will look so big and awful.  I felt really happy with my body while pregnant with DS so I just need to remember that I get to create life, which is amazing.
  • @stillclever17 I used a Boppy to begin with and rolled up burp clothes to prop my boob up. I held my daughter's head with one hand and my boob with the other. Once she had a good latch, I wouldn't have to hold it anymore (because the burp clothes helped immensely). I would have to hold some of my boob back because it covered her nose though. I eventually switched to the My Brest Friend nursing pillow and I really preferred that one. Another tip is trying the football hold. It was actually DDs pediatrician who recommended it for well endowed mama's when she saw us in the hospital. I felt like most of the other holds didn't work as well and this way I could hold her with my arm around her body and head in my hand, to guide her. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @vvitchhazel I'll have to try that pillow this time! I only ever used my boppy or a regular pillow if we were at someone else's house.  I could never get a hang of the football hold!

@stillclever17 Yea it was annoying that I always needed 2 hands to breast feed for the first couple of months.  I also almost exclusively pumped for the first 2 months because my son was a NICU baby and then had tongue/lip tie issues.  So it was probably close to when my son was 4 months old that it got a lot easier breast feeding at least for me.  Hoping this time will be easier from the start!
  • @stillclever17 I also have huge boobs and the football hold was a life saver in the beginning. It is so hard putting that tiny baby up to this engorged monster of a boobie. You'll find your way and I'm glad you are okay with your boobs out because it just makes big breasted feeding so much easier. 
  • @ktcakes87 I had GD with DS and it honestly wasn't that bad besides the finger picks. I even delivered at 39+3 with zero complications. My nutritionist was amazing with great food!

@vvitchhazel Pink Blush is very expensive sometimes, I had a wedding when I was 7 months with DS and got a gorgeous maxi type dressy style a size up from Macys.

@stillclever17 Football hold or laying down was the easieat for me to breastfeed. 

• How far along? How big is baby? 9 weeks 3 days

Rants/Raves? I'm so over all this vomit and nothing works.

Upcoming appointments? Ultrasound and genetic testing this Thursday.

Questions or concerns? I am beyond tired and it turns out I'm anemic with this one and on an iron pill now. Anyone else been anemic while pregnant?

Any questions for second time plus moms? STM here so not yet.

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? How will you overcome it? Definitely chasing DS has been an issue. Also, I can't find a cute plus size bathing suit.
  • I had GD with DD as well and it wasn't that bad. I was borderline when I tested and was able to manage it really well. I managed well with diet only and didn't have any complications when DD was born.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So while I've lost 42lbs,I am still plus size but not nearly as plus as with DD. 

How far along? How big is baby? 7w 2d 

Rants/Raves? Just so tired. 

Upcoming appointments? not til may 26
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How far along? How big is baby? Not sure, will find out tomorrow though!

Rants/Raves? Not yet, I have finals this week and that's been hard. I also have horrible ms but I had that last pregnancy too so I'm just trying to take it day by day. 

Upcoming appointments? Tomorrow is my dating ultrasound and first appointment. 

Questions or concerns? Nope. 

Any questions for second time plus moms? No. 

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? How will you overcome it? Just trying to be healthy. 
  • I definitely already know the football hold will be my go to position. What about leaned back? It seems like gravity helps you there, but the way boobs fall to the side makes it seem like it would be harder to do with big boobs.
    Dx PCOS May 2015
    Baby #1 due 12/7/17
  • Meredith- checking in!!

How far along? 5 weeks

How big is baby? the size of an apple seed

Rants/Raves? I'm over this sore boobs and nausea.

Upcoming appointments? 5/19- first ultrasound

Questions or concerns? what's going on in there?!

Any questions for second time plus moms? nope. This is my second! 

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? mostly the just being pregnant part. How will you overcome it?  just keep on keepin' on!
  • @stillclever17 I've heard that leaned back is great but honestly, I just could not make it work for us. My baby would just be face first in it. It might work great for you though!
  • How far along? How big is baby? 8w6d 

Rants/Raves? None of my bras fit already.  :'(

Upcoming appointments? Not until 5.22

Questions or concerns?

What do you think the biggest struggle being plus size and pregnant will be? How will you overcome it? I have a history of eating disorder issues and I'm afraid of the weight gain. I already gained 10lbs during my MC probably because my hormones went nuts for a month after and I've been so bloated and uncomfortable. I don't want my bump joy ruined by my ED brain being on red alert. DH has really been a help so far.

ps. Do any of you ladies have Zulily? Because they have Pink Blush boutiques all the time at way lower prices. They have tons of maternity stuff in general.
  • @brittabatwhite Im going to start checking out zulily! Thanks
  • I had the same issues with plus size maternity clothes last time. I finally just bought clothes at Torrid in larger sizes. 
  • @AthenaKirkpatrick That's what I ended up doing last time too.
    BabyFruit Ticker