November 2017 Moms

Self-Care During Pregnancy-what's safe, recommended and what to avoid

I have seen some anti-stress and one off posts about beauty care. But was hoping to have an on-going thread to be a reference for questions, concerns and recommendations of health, beauty and self-care practices during pregnancy. Hopefully it can help a few us and be a good place to start conversations about these specific topics. 

Re: Self-Care During Pregnancy-what's safe, recommended and what to avoid

• My concern is around massage. It's usually my go to de-stresser. I have read suggestions to avoid it during first trimester, but not much beyond it. I would love to get a massage in the second trimester. But not sure how to approach it.

Have any STM or beyond moms got massages during pregnancy? Does it have to be prenatal massage? Do you only trust therapists trained specifically in pregnancy massages? 
  • I've gotten a bunch (maybe a dozen?) prenatal massages. I've always specifically asked for prenatal and even got turned away once when the only certified prenatal masseuse didn't show for work. Aside from a difference in the table, I can't say that there's a huge difference in the massage. It's more Swedish than deep tissue, but relaxing. There are some pressure points that are supposed to be able to make your uterus contract and they are supposed to stay away from them - but as someone who was a week overdue and had all those points concentrated on and nothing happen, I'm not a very big believer in that.

One of my OBs told me it was fine to do them in the first tri, but that places wouldn't because of the high risk of mc (totally not massage related) in the first tri. They don't want to be blamed, even if they aren't at fault. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited April 2017
    @dragonfly87-2 I was straight up told no massage until second trimester by the (very fancy and expensive) place (that I had to make an appointment for 6 weeks in advance since they are so busy) that I went to. I think the problem later is more about what is in the oils they use. I'd call ahead because sometimes the massage therapists don't even know.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • baker1jm2baker1jm2 member
    edited April 2017
    I actually had a massage in the first tri with this pregnancy.  She did mention the pressure points but focused on my back neck and shoulders.  I'm looking forward to getting another soon!
  • I asked the massage place that I deliver mail to and they said it's completely fine to get a massage in first tri but the massage therapist should be certified for pregnancy massage. They said that if the therapist doesn't feel comfortable that they can decline to do it though. 
  • My ob recommended massage therapy to help with my headaches, so I have one tomorrow. It is a therapist I have seen before and I told her how many weeks I am (10). 
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the responses so far ladies @08-16-08jms, @NYTino24 @amber0529, @baker1jm2!

I am looking at a local place that gets great reviews and specializes in prenatal massage. I probably won't be able to get in until late June, putting me around 14-15 weeks, so I guess I won't be too worried at that point since it is the second trimester.

kissthesky32  That's for the response. I am a little bummed because I love deep tissue (my neck and back develop a lot of knotted muscles), but I will take any kind of massage at this point! I am no so sure on the pressure point thing either since there isn't definitive research, but **TW** I did get a massage at 10DPO before I knew I was pregnant back in December and that ended in a CP. I am sure they were completely unrelated...but it didn't help with my mental connection between the two.**TW**
  • I got tons of massages with my first because I was in constant misery. We did wait until first tri was over with the first. I got a chair massage in the airport a few weeks ago. Minimal pressure and did mostly neck and shoulders. 
    I also love deep tissue and will look for someone that can do a prenatal deep tissue massage. 
    I got facials with my first every 4 weeks and we just steered away from products with retinol. 
  • I also had a ton of massages with my first, they were all prenatal though and the masseuse was certified for prenatal too. I highly recommend them and am going this weekend too and I'm 10 weeks.
  • Does anyone get their eyebrows tinted?  I am playing it safe and not coloring my hair during the first tri at least, but my brows are driving me crazy way more than my grey hairs!  It's a different kind of dye than what they use on hair...I would think it would be gentler/safer but I'm not sure. My doc was pretty cautious when I asked her about it and basically hinted that I should avoid it since I don't know exactly what's in it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @liz4382 I tint my brows every 3ish weeks. I have through all of my pregnancies. It's only on there for a couple minutes and it's such a small surface area that I'm personally fine with it. Plus, I look ridiculous with super blonde eyebrows. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Anyone heard of floatation therapy?? I just saw a Groupon and the website says pregnant women love it because the high concentration of Epsom salts makes you float and takes the pressure off for an hour while you are in there. I'm not sure of the water temp or if there would be other safety concerns but it sounds amazing!
  • @jka427 I haven't heard of it really but I would think as long as the water isn't hotter than bath temp. then that shouldn't be a concern. Sounds neat though! We're moving in a few weeks to GA and I'm hoping we'll get into an apartment complex with a pool so I can float around all summer and swim as exercise. Our pool here on base charges $2 per entry which isn't a lot but considering I can only do laps for about 10-15 minutes before I'm exhausted it makes it seem expensive. 
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• deeerfauxmdeeerfauxm member
    edited May 2017
    @jka427 I did a float session last summer. It's not too warm (much cooler than my baths!) and because you aren't submerged you really do not warm up. It keeps you right at body temp. 
    The experience itself was neat but not anything I crave to do again. (Groupon with girlfriends!)

@dragonfly87-2, I am seeing my LMT that I've used for years. She did specific prenatal for me with DS, basically lighter touch in abdominal areas and avoiding certain pressure points as PP mentioned. I actually had no idea it was taboo to go during first tri so when I brought it up (too late after a session), she looked a bit flustered and just adjusted her approach from then through my due date. I did ask her to do my pressure points near my due date and was still late (none of the tricks worked for labor).
    My dh surprised me with a massage for the two of us last week and (not wanting to spoil it) I just didn't tell her. I did say I ate a late lunch (which was true) so was kinda bloated (very true!) so she avoided putting pressure on my lower back and focused on my upper body where I wanted it anyway. I'm not at the point where I need extra bolsters to lay face down for a few minutes. 
    TW ***I have been through two MCs and on my fourth pregnancy and felt confident that there's nothing in the routine of my sessions with this provider (I've had years of exp with her) to compromise baby in first tri, especially to cause an MC, but that doesn't mean anyone should assume an unknowing masseuse couldn't do something wrong or use an oil or compound you're not supposed to. Like, I withheld info because I know what my routine with her is. I would not do that with a new therapist or if I was a FTM or new to receiving massage. End TW