Infertility
Options

Only two blasts! Newbie to the IVF world

hello all! I'm very new to the IVF world and I guess I need some help/advice or maybe even encouragement! I am only 25 years old. My other half is 27 and was diagnosed with a varicocele over a year ago. we have been dealing with a urologist for this entire time and he basically told us there is nothing he can do to fix it. All of my testing came back normal I can't remember my AMH level but I know my nurse said "you're ovaries are great." We started our IVF cycle over a month ago and they had wanted me to do a freeze all cycle so they could do PGD testing due to higher implantation rates. They retrieved 14 eggs, 10 were mature, 7 fertilized with ICSI and only two made it to blast. We are praying so hard they are normal. My nurse said she was "disappointed" in me for not having more eggs and more blasts. She basically made me feel terrible and said I probably have a problem with my eggs?? I started bawling and have just been so upset. I was supposed to be fine according to all of them and now I'm worried I won't be able to have a baby. It just seems like it's been one thing after another :( anyone else been through this similar situation! Please help! 

Re: Only two blasts! Newbie to the IVF world

• Options
    @Knottief566e0fd61816403 First off welcome to the group and I'm sorry you have to deal with infertility. It's never an easy thing no matter what the diagnosis.

I wanted to tell you a little about my own story. I'm a little older (31) and am doing IVF because my husband has a blockage from a surgery when he was a baby so our only chance to get pregnant is IVF with ICSI and a sperm aspiration. Before our first round all my tests looked great and they found great sperm on my husband's first aspiration that they frozen. We did our first cycle and almost had identical results to yours (14 eggs, 13 mature, 7 fertilized and 1 blast PGS tested abnormal). We were pretty shocked since before and during the cycle all the doctors and nurses said everything looked great. Only real hiccup was day of egg retrieval my husband's sperm didn't thaw well so we had to do another aspiration and I could tell they weren't as excited about it as they were with the first.

So after everything we met with the doctor and he said the results might be because aspirated sperm tend to have more chromosomal/DNA issues but in my head I was a little worried like you because the one blast had an extra chromosome from him and from me so maybe I am also the problem. The doctor said to focus on the good things like 1. Getting embryos that make it to blast is good because that means we have a better chance of success than if none did. 2. I produce a good number of eggs so that gives us more chances each cycle to get it right. 3. We are both still young so don't have to rush as much and can be picky about when we do our next cycle so we can increase our odds. 4. They now know how my body responds to stims and can adjust the next cycle to increase my chances. 

So the doctor took me off BCP so it doesn't suppress me and put us both of high doses of CoQ10. I was already on a pre-natal, DHA and he told me my husband should definitely be taking a men's multivitamin with zinc and folic acid. I did my own research and also put my husband and I on vitamin C, vitamin E and additional zinc. I was worried the vitamins would do nothing but since we were waiting a cycle (my AFC was low with 3 cysts right after the firdt round) I figured we would be on them a good 60+ days so it was worth a shot. Well I went in for my baseline this past Saturday and was shocked to hear I had 35 follicles (the most I ever had before was 22 even before BCP). Right now I have about 25 follicles going after 4 days of stims. I really do feel the vitamins are helping and also they had a better understanding of how to do my stims which I think will help in the long run. 

Sorry this was so long winded but I wanted to let you know you aren't alone. Don't blame yourself or worry. IVF is more of an art than science and sometimes the first cycle doesn't work but it's not the end. Lots can be learned from it. Also you still have two blasts which is great. Try and focus on that and forget about the rude nurse. FX they come back normal and you can move on to your frozen transfer.
    Me: 31 DH: 31 Married: 8/2007
    MFI - Due to blockage
    IVF#1 Feb/Mar 2017 - ER: 14 Eggs, 13 Mature, 7 Fertilized, 1 Blastocyst (PGS tested abnormal)
    IVF#2 May 2017 - ER: 16 Eggs, 14 Mature, 5 Fertilized, 1 Blastocyst (PGS tested abnormal)
    IVF#3 July/Aug 2017 - ER: 15 Eggs, 13 Mature, 12 Fertilized, 6 Blastocyst, 5 PSG normal (3 Girls, 2 Boys)
    FET# 1 September 29,2017 1st Beta - 236 2nd Beta - 806 3rd Beta - 2932
    Due Date - 6/17/18 Father's Day!
  • Options
    I think your nurse chose her words poorly. She probably meant to say that she was disappointed with the outcome of the ivf cycle, not you. Don't ever feel bad, and the problem is likely not your eggs but the protocol itself. The infertility treatment is truly a trial-and-error.  For some, the first cycle is not a success.  But with more tries, you'll likely hit a protocol that works for you and your husband. You're still young so your eggs are still good!
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome! Don't worry- those 2 could be fine! 
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Options
    Don't despair.  Sometimes IVF is some trial and error to find what works best.  In my IVF experience, I've been shocked at how cold some of the IVF doctors and nurses can be.  Do not take this to heart.  These two blasts could be the ticket to two perfect children.  
    TTC since August 2014 
    Me: 41, Him: 43 

DX: Unexplained secondary infertility 

History:
    Multiple months of Clomid/Femara
    End of March 2015: BFP with Femara! Saw heartbeat at 5.5 weeks. M/C at 11 weeks
    Multiple more months of Femara
    IUI #1 with Femara and Follistem 75 units: BFN
    IUI #2 with Follistem 150 units: BFN
    Dec 2015: 1st IVF. 10 eggs retrieved with 8 eggs fertilized.  5 day transfer of two embryos with 2 frozen embies. BFN
    January 2016: FET #1 2 embryos: BFN
    March 2016: 2nd IVF cycle. 4 eggs retrieved with 2 fertilized. Quick two day transfer of both embryos: BFN
    April/May 2016 IVF #3. 11 eggs retrieved. 10 mature.  7 fertilized.  2 5AA blasts transferred 5/11/2016 BFN
    September 2016 IVF #4: 17 follicles growing, premature ovulation through Cetrotide. Retrieval cancelled. 
    April 2017 IVF #5: 9 follicles growing, 6 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of three blasts. BFN
    June 2017: IVF #6: 2 follicles growing, 5 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of 5 3-day embryos. Chemical pregnancy. BFN
    Nov/Dec 2017: Donor egg cycle. 33 eggs retrieved, 26 mature. 26 fertilized. 
  • Options
    Wow thank you for all your responses. We are both on vitamins and I try to eat as healthy as possible it's just so hard when it feels like all you get is bad news. We're hoping they are normal if not I'm hoping the next step they will be a little or encouraging. I also agree the doctors and nurses can be very cold. They just keep saying your young and kind of shove me off and don't take me seriously. If this round is a bust I may start shopping for a new RE :( 
  • Options
    That's very true. They did say about starting me on higher doses of stims if I have to do another round 
  • Options
    artemis618artemis618 member
    edited April 2017
    First, that's super rude of that nurse!  It's not like you didn't feel bad enough already :( I'm sorry that you're disappointed in your first cycle, but as @radmom27 said, this stuff is a lot trial and error.  I've said it before, but I really wish REs would do a better job managing expectations because no one really knows how each cycle will go.

I think especially at your age your two have a good shot.  Protocol can also make a difference (not sure if that applies as much to younger ladies like you, but) - for me a protocol change made a world of difference.  I had no blasts from 12 eggs retrieved (7M and ICSI'd, 3F) my first cycle (we didn't expect it to go quite so badly as we'd conceived naturally last year our second month trying), and 6 blasts from 10 eggs (8M, 8F - 5IVF + 3 ICSI) *edit:  my second cycle* - but only one normal which I understand is consistent with my being almost 40.

Truly, do not fret!  It's not over yet - there is still hope!  Hang in there.
    About me:
    Married 6/18/16 (Me 42, DH 44), TTC #2
    ***TW***
    Natural BFP 8/10/16 --> mc our NIPT-normal little girl at 11w5d on 10/1/16 :(
    As of 12/2016:  AMH 1.42, FSH 6.1, AFC ~10
    Self-benched Nov-Dec 2016 for
    IVF #1 Jan-Feb 2017 (OCP, testosterone primed antagonist w/HGH - ER 2/2/17 - 12R, 7M ICSI'd, 3F, 0B)
    IVF #2 Mar-Apr 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 4/8/17 - 10R, 8M, 8F, 5B, 1 PGS normal)
    IVF #3 May-Jun 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 6/4/17 - 14R, 5F, 3B, 0 normal)
    **New RE**
    IVF #4 Sept 2017 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 9/28/17 - 33R, 18F, 10B, 4 PGS normals!)
    FET #1 (medicated) of one PGS normal 4AA XX 11/2/17 - Beta #1 11/11/17 (153), Beta #2 11/13/17 (324), mc at 5w1d on 11/19/17 :(
    IVF #5 Dec 2017 - Insemination of 9 frozen eggs from 2012 (8F, 1B, 0 normal)
    Jan 2018 - Natural cycle ERA (normal/receptive) & stimming for
    IVF #6 Jan-Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/3/18 - 17R, 6M, 4F, 0 blasts)
    IVF #7 Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/26/18 - 19R, 9M, 9F, 4B, 2 PGS normals)
    FET #2 Apr 2018 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 4AA- XX 4/5/18 - Beta #1 4/14/18 (67), Beta #2 4/16/18 (231)
    Rainbow baby girl born 12/16/2018 (via c-section, induced at 39 weeks)

-----
    TFAS!
    FET #3 Dec 2019 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 3BB XY 12/16/19 - Beta #1 12/24/19 (139), Beta #2 12/27/19 (482)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    cashewchickencashewchicken member
    edited April 2017
    Like previous posters said, you have two embryos and because you're young, odds of getting at least one, if not two pgs normal embryos are high!  
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • Options
    Don't count yourself out! I had only 2 blasts left after 8 eggs fertilized and both came back normal! IVF is very much about trial and error and learning what works best with your body. I am sorry she made you feel that way, but my doctor said the same thing to me, more along the lines of he was surprised that we didn't have more, it is hard to hear, but it helps them start to understand what type of issues they are working with. I hope you have a good outcome!
    TTC #1 - December 2015
    Me:31 H:31
    DX: MFI - 1% Morph 
    12/16 -IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol w/ Lupron trigger
    ER - 11 retrieved- 9 mature - 7 fertilized - 3 sent for PGS on day 5 - No normals (1 XXX Embryo - may use in future)
    3/17 - IVF #2 - Antagonist Protocol w/ HCG trigger
    ER- 13 retrieved - 11 mature - 8 fertilized - 2 sent for PGS on day 5 -2 Normal
    FET #1 - 5/16/17 - BFP! - Beta #1 5/25 - 156 - Beta #2 5/30 - 2562 - Beta #3 6/1 - 5191!

• Options

@Knottief566e0fd61816403 welcome to the board!  1st of all I would freak the F out if my nurse said anything along those lines to me so kudos for not lighting into her.  Having a good nurse can make all the difference in how we react to news with this journey. 
    A little background on my story, I have PCOS and DH has MFI, so IVF w ICSI was basically our only option, we're both in our early 30's.  When we went in  for ER my right ovary shifted, the Dr wasn't able to access it at all to get any eggs,  and we only got 1/2 the number of eggs/follicles we were planning on based on the scans.  I was *devastated* we had 10 mature/fertilized, which is NOT a bad #. I, however, was focused on the fact that we should have more than that, and its literally only bc my nurse was so positive about the number we had that I didn't totally lose my sh*t.  Then I found out that only 2 made it to day 5 and they were BB grade, again my nurse made all the difference in keeping me on track and not focusing on the negative aspects. 
    If this cycle doesn't go well and you are in an area with multiple RE's it might be a good idea to shop around a little and find a practice that you connect with more.  For me my Dr is pretty socially awkward and bad at talking to people, but has a good success rate and his nurses are wonderful.  Since I talk to the nurses 90% of the time this is more important to me than the Dr being able to chat it up. 
    For us we PGS tested our 2 embryos and both came back normal, I literally cried from relief (which was mildly embarrassing since I was in public).  **TW** we transferred our first embryo on the 17th and my 1st beta came back positive, so for the first time in my life I'm pregnant.  **end TW** 

You'll read on the boards all the time, and it's bc it's true, it only takes one.  Your odds of having normal embryos is high so hold onto that, these 2 could be your kids and you might never have to do this again.

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• Options
    Don't lost hope...

***tw*** I only had 4 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilize, 2 make it to blasts (both 3bb grade) only 1 tested PGS normal and I will be 23 weeks pregnant tomorrow with that one normal embryo. It can happen!
  • Options
    At your age, I wouldn't even test the 2 embryos, just implant one by one. I have posted a thread about how experimental and unreliable PGS tests are (check it out). 
  • Options
    @liljoy I appreciate you sharing your experience, but I really don't think it's appropriate to continue posting  that it is "experimental and unreliable." Yes, it is a new science, I am sure there are things they can improve on, but I would NOT call it unreliable. You did have a very interesting and I am sure, upsetting, experience, but I don't think it's fair to say these things. Especially to someone who already has sent her embryos to testing. Once again, I appreciate you sharing your experience, but I feel like this is a bit fear mongering, and that is not what people need during this process. 
    TTC #1 - December 2015
    ER - 11 retrieved- 9 mature - 7 fertilized - 3 sent for PGS on day 5 - No normals (1 XXX Embryo - may use in future)
    FET #1 - 5/16/17 - BFP! - Beta #1 5/25 - 156 - Beta #2 5/30 - 2562 - Beta #3 6/1 - 5191!

• Options
    @dietitiankc Yes those are some of the studies I found myself. That website has good studies available on fertility. I am on 600mg and my husband is on 200mg. I'm very interested to see how this cycle differs than our first. So far many more follicles so it's a good start.
    Me: 31 DH: 31 Married: 8/2007
    MFI - Due to blockage
    IVF#1 Feb/Mar 2017 - ER: 14 Eggs, 13 Mature, 7 Fertilized, 1 Blastocyst (PGS tested abnormal)
    IVF#2 May 2017 - ER: 16 Eggs, 14 Mature, 5 Fertilized, 1 Blastocyst (PGS tested abnormal)
    IVF#3 July/Aug 2017 - ER: 15 Eggs, 13 Mature, 12 Fertilized, 6 Blastocyst, 5 PSG normal (3 Girls, 2 Boys)
    FET# 1 September 29,2017 1st Beta - 236 2nd Beta - 806 3rd Beta - 2932
    Due Date - 6/17/18 Father's Day!
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing ❤️
  • Options
    All of you give me hope! I'm so happy to see there is so much online support! It makes me feel. It as along in the whole process! Here's to waiting one more week for results!! (Fingers crossed)
  • Options
    @Zoey1019 I'm sorry, it is not fear mongering, saying that is not nice. As I stated, the reason I'm posting it is just to raise awareness, from own experience and from all the research I've gathered. Information is power, not fear. Good luck.
  • Options
    @liljoy using the term fear mongering isn't mean, by definition that is what you are doing (the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue). Obviously you normally hear it with a negative connotation attached to it.  Your situation is scary, it made me question my PGS, but I don't think it's fair for you to decide to call it unreliable, or tell people they shouldn't be sending them to testing. Especially those new to IVF who are scared and still have so much to learn and experience. I think its appropriate to share your research and then let them make their own decision.

The articles that you shared above do not say that PGS is experimental and unreliable, most just admit that there are grey areas that will become more black and white with time. There are very strict exceptions as to what they consider a potential mosaic, and there are no monosomies that can be transferred successfully. So I just think a blanket statement of "experimental and unreliable" is an unfair and misleading, and can cause undue stress.

I think it's great you are empowering women to ask questions and demand answers, and retest if that is an option (which at some clinics, unless you take legal action, it is not). I just worry that a blanket statement could scare people unnecessarily. That is all. 

Thank you again for sharing your experience and your research.

TTC #1 - December 2015

• Options
    OP, I agree that the nurse was too harsh with you.

It's really difficult to know what the problem is when a cycle doesn't go the way you expect.  Maybe something to do with the eggs, maybe the sperm, maybe the medication did something, or maybe it was the lab.

If you have an opportunity to try a different clinic, that's one way to deal with the fact that it could have been the lab.  A new doctor would also be able to take a fresh look at everything, and maybe offer something new.

Yes, it's always possible that egg quality is a problem.  Fortunately, with your age, you aren't running out the clock the way I was.  There are things you can do to improve egg quality, with nutrition and supplements (read It Starts with an Egg), and with medication (rely on your doctor).  

Meanwhile, you have two adorable little blasts.  It only takes one, so don't lose hope on this cycle.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    I just want to echo all of the pps. I am much older than you (37), but also had unexpectedly poor response based on excellent test results. I also had several, "hm, you're responding unexpectedly low..." comments. I'm a nurse myself and very analytical, so I didn't take these comments as anything against me personally, but it still hurt that my body was kind of betraying me. Be kind to yourself. IVF is far from an exact science, we don't even fully understand how reproduction works (hence so many unexplained IF couples!). Hang in there! We only had two blasts and are now 8weeks pregnant with one :) 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @PoeMasque I'm also a nurse! It's nice to know another nurse is going thru this! Did you take off for your TWW?? I'm worried about all the heavy lifting of patients 
  • Options
    I took off the two days after transfer (they suggested "taking it easy" for 48 hours, but other than that I worked as much as possible so that time would move faster! My main gig is as a public health nurse - specifically with moms and babies, so there's no heavy lifting, but I do pick up shifts in the ED and ended up working a lot more there during the TWW. I also continued my morning work out routine of crunches, squats, and push ups, all during the TWW......but no running or activities that could cause ovarian torsion. I think that's really the only worry during IVF because your ovaries are so big. I was allowed to play soccer/run again at 12dp5dt. 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @PoeMasque oh okay good to know! I work in a CTICU so I'm always on my feet running around. And lot of our patients are critical and need rolled lol which in my area they tend to be on the larger side! But that's comforting to know that you worked the whole time I've had a huge toss up on what to do in that situation 
  • Options
    Don't give up hope.  Sometimes I think nurses and REs can forget they are dealing with a highly emotional topic and pick their words poorly.  When I had a chemical pregnancy my RE told me, "Well it wasn't the worlds longest pregnancy but we did get you pregnant."  I was like really?!?!  I agree with what a lot of people said sometimes the first IVF is more about finding out what doesn't work than what does.  You may still have a successful pregnancy with one or even both of those blasts and if not you will find the strength and try again.  We are here to cheer with you and cry with you.  Hugs.
    Me:38 DW:33 
    TTC History in Spoiler ***Trigger Warning*** Losses/Child Mentioned 
    Dx: My wife has no sperm  :D and apparently my embryos aren't as good as they look

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
     * July IUI#3 - CP  :'(
     * Sept IVF#1 - 4 Retrieved & Mature, 4 Blasts.  Fresh Transfer 1  - CP  :'(
     * November FET #1 - Transferred 1 Blast - CP  :'(
    2017 Switched REs - Recurrent loss testing for me - all normal, remaining 2 frosties sent for PGS - both abnormal
     * April/May IVF#2:  9 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 7 blasts!  Sent for testing - 2PGS Normals (0 remaining)
     * November IVF #3 12R, 8M, 6F, 4 blasts! - All 4 PGS normal!
     * November FET# 2 (Transfer a PGS normal from IVF#2) - BFP!!!
    2018 DD born 8/20/18
    2019 5PGS frosties ( 4 remaining)
      * September FET#3 (1PGS normal) - Beta#1: 139.7  Beta#2: 322.6