TTC After a Loss
Options

New here :)

Hi everyone, I hope that I have found the right place as I feel right now that I don't really fit anywhere as I have just been told by my doctor's office that I have secondary infertility (3 losses) and will need to come in to meet with the Doctor... A little history about me:

My husband and I were lucky enough to get pregnant first try. During my pregnancy with my son I had consistent bleeding during the first trimester (many visits to ultrasound and ER to be told "threatened miscarriages") The bleeding stopped after the first trimester. I also had no morning sickness with him. I had my son in July 2015 and breastfed through July/August 2016.

Now we are TTC #2, first month trying pregnant again this December. I had no bleeding and was very sick. 6 weeks ultrasound, no heartbeat, 8 weeks, still no heartbeat or growth since 6w. I had a D&C in January 2017. My Doctor advised to wait 5 weeks before trying again. I didn't get a period and must have ovulated and fell pregnant again in February 2017. We lost that baby in middle March (Chemical Pregnancy, initial low HCG level and bleeding). This month I fell pregnant again, however again I had another chemical pregnancy(another low HCG level under 100, then bleeding). It seems as though the problem is not getting pregnant, however staying pregnant...

I still have not dried up in the milk department after 9 months. It's not a large amount but is still hanging around in there that can be expressed from my breasts. I wonder I this could impact things? I'm not sure if because I didn't have a period I just didn't have enough time to heal?

I am not able to see my Doctor for the next few weeks to bounce all these questions to a Doctor, but was hopeful that you ladies would have some experience or know what I should ask for when I do meet with the Doctor (low progesterone test maybe?). I also have a rare eye disorder that gets worse (irreversible damage) with each pregnancy, so it is important to me to figure out what is going on before getting pregnant again so I don't continue to do damage to my eyesight unless it's absolutely worth it.

[Note: I see that some people post warnings - not sure if I should post anything here about loss? I'm not familiar with the board etiquette so please let me know, if so ]

Re: New here :)

• Options
    welcome and I'm sorry for all your losses - I don't really know anything about multiple losses but I'm sure you will get a successful pregnancy soon.  I have a 6 year old DD and we are trying for #2 as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @vlagrl29 Thanks so much for your support! Hopefully we can figure out how to make them stick with the Doctor. Have you just started trying? Hope you will have good news soon to make DD a big sister!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    vlagrl29vlagrl29 member
    edited April 2017
    thanks @msstephanielynn - yes we are trying again.  I had a CP in December and started TTC in Feb.  I hope you find out a solution too.  Sometimes I wonder if maybe you need your lining to thicken back up again before actively TTC - I'm not a doctor though. 

I wanted a 5/6 year age gap with  my 2 kids but now I'm thinking it will be 7 - who knows.  I don't want too big of a gap but we have no control over that I guess.
  • Options
    @msstephanielynn.  Sorry for your loss.  I hope you find some answers soon. I have had two losses but we chose not to do any testing.  I'm over 40 and have been pregnant 3 since since my 40th bday. The first was successful. I had a very healthy pregnancy with my son and he is very healthy so doctors think my losses have been because of bad eggs which comes with the age factor.  I did however learn that my progesterone level was low with the last one and began taking suppositories two days after I found out I was pregnant so I don't believe it was the cause of anything.  It is something I would ask doctor about though.  
  • Options

@vlagrl29 I'm so sorry for your loss. Wouldn't it be nice if these things could go as planned? My sister in law has a 7 year gap in between boys and they are such close brothers despite the difference in age!

I also wonder the same thing. Initially (obviously will discuss with Dr.) I am thinking it could be that I haven't had enough time to heal/replenish the lining as I was pregnant back to back to back. Or something to do with hormones (since I bled with my son in 1st trimester and still lactate). Interestingly enough I also read an article about "super fertility" which sounds wonderful, but is basically the body's inability to not accept bad egg/sperm combos, so you fall pregnant very quickly with many non-viable pregnancies that result in early miscarriage. I wonder since we conceived 4/4 tries (one successful pregnancy), if this is what is happening. More to come I guess in a few weeks when I finally get in with the Doctor...

• Options
    @mack2342 I'm sorry for your losses as well, but congratulations on your healthy son! How old is he now? I hope you will have success moving forward. I'm 32 now, but have heard that everyone's egg quality can vastly differ. You mentioned that they gave progesterone? Did you have any testing done to indicate that you had low levels?
  • Options
    @Mack2342 - what was your P level when first pregnant?

@msstephanielynn - if you haven't yet it might be a good idea to get all bloodwork done that deals with fertility - CD3 and CD21 progesterone test.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your losses. Welcome to the board.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @msstephanielynn and @vlagrl29.  I didn't have progesterone issue with my son. He will be 20 months tomorrow.  I was seeing a fertility doctor this last go so when I found out I was pregnant I went in next day and they did blood draw.  Have no idea what all they tested.  They just said progesterone was a little low but I don't know what it was. I didn't ask.  I figured I would ask at next appt but then next appt was ultrasound which we learned it wasn't viable and all my questions went out window.  I will ask more when I go back in a couple weeks 
  • Options
    msstephanielynn Sorry for your losses.  RPL is hard.  I've had 4 losses, but no live births.  I've had an RPL panel done.  You'll probably end up having karyotyping done, measure A1C, a crap ton of other blood tests (including STDs), etc.  I'm waiting on a biopsy for progesterone, but that could be another one.  Also, the second REI I went to recommended a test for Ureaplasma... which I had.  I would definitely push for that as apparently it can cause early RPL (although there doesn't seem to be a LOT of research out on this topic and some doctor's don't think it has anything to do with loss).  But, it's worth a shot, since antibiotics can get rid of the infection.

They'll probably bench you while you get testing done, which could be good since it sounds like you've had 3 losses in a row.  Give your body and mind some time to heal...

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and the information. Sounds like there will be a lot of tests in my near future. I look forward to following you all on this board :)