Trying to Get Pregnant

IF/Testing Weekly Check-in 4/24

1235»

Re: IF/Testing Weekly Check-in 4/24

• @ratparade - It's likely (not sure how likely, but definitely fairly good) that since it's just quality and not quantity that he could see an improvement! With that knowledge I would definitely push to check for the varicoceles. 

And ahhh. The telephone game of "what exactly did the doctor say" *Insert eyeroll* ahah. 
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• Loading the player...
  • JuneRoseRubyJuneRoseRuby member
    edited April 2017
    @KristoKekerooni @RatParade Did you guys push for the frag testing? or did your docs recommend it? I am curious since it wasn't mentioned to me for MH's first SA, and since we are planning a repeat next month, I am wondering if I should ask for it. 

**Edit, I should have tagged @sjb2215 for this question... do you have any answers for me? Thanks! 
    32 years old (both H and I)
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016
    12/2016 mental break from TTC-NTNP
    1/10/2017 initial appt with RE (all BW results WNL)
    1/17/2017 SA DX Virtual Azoo (3 sperm 0%morph 0%motility)
    1/18/2017 STP tubes clear
    2/1/2017 initial appt with Urologist
    2/15/2017 DX H Robertsonian Translocation
    H is on clomid and Theralogix Supplements
    6/26/17 repeat SA: 47 sperm 0% morph 13% motility
    7/26/17 IVF Consult, repeat SA (4 sperm)
    8/21/17 Starting IVF cycle with Donor Sperm backup
    9/1/17 ER ICSI PGS: only 2 donor embryos made it to freeze
    9/13/17 Started cycle for IUI with donor and clomid
    9/27/17 IUI canceled for overstim
    October Plan IUI with donor and low dose clomid

• @JuneRoseRuby No one mentioned it to me, I hadn't even heard of it before now.  But we haven't seen the urologist yet.  The SA was just ordered as part of all the initial testing.

Me: 32 | DH: 36

Married June 2005

1/2016 - TTC#1

4/2017 - Initial RE visit, Dx: Severe MFI (Varicocele, 14% motility, 3% progression, but normal count)

7/2017 - Stage 3 endometriosis discovered during laparoscopic removal of ovarian cyst

9/27/2017 - BFP at 10dpo (cycle 22), baby boy due June 9, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @KristoKekerooni MH has bilateral varicoceles grade 3 (so palpable) on the L and grade 2 on the R. The surgical option presented to us was a microsurgical varicoelectomy, not sure if that is the same thing as embolization? His testosterone was in normal limits (on the low end), so not sure if that's why clomid hasn't been recommended to us? I have heard others discuss FertilAid so I would like to discuss with the dr as to why Coast was recommended over that. MH is trying to get a hold of the dr to ask some questions/get another consult appointment to talk about all options before we decide on surgery. DNA frag index was 31% (our sheet lists <20% normal, but 30% is considered borderline, so just above that), oxidative stress adduct 4.5uM (<3.8 normal, 4.4 borderline) and high DNA stainability was 8% (<15% normal). Haven't read up much yet regarding these tests, but being close to the "borderline" has me wondering how much this will impact everything. I've got a lot of research to do! We have yet to meet with the doctor after the DNA results so I appreciate the info that you shared regarding how much of a factor the DNA stuff is, I also wonder if fixing the varicoceles could help with DNA stuff? No worries on the questions, I appreciate having someone else to discuss this stuff with so any info you already have really helps. It really is crazy that more is not known about this part yet. I hope everything goes well with YH surgery.

@RatParade Ditto to what @KristoKekerooni said about another SA- most urologists like to see 2 SAs anyway to get more points in time to see if it's an accurate picture. You could ask about doing the DNA frag with the 2nd one. 
  • JuneRoseRubyJuneRoseRuby member
    edited April 2017
    @RatParade oops, it was @sjb2215 that had the DNAfrag testing done. ETA, this is an ignorant question, but does the varicoceles have an impact on DNA damage? or is that separate from the varicoceles? And for what it is worth, MH's testosterone was in the low normal also (433 I believe) and they still put him on clomid as a hail mary.  It is bringing his FSH and T up, so we are hopeful for the next SA

32 years old (both H and I)
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016
    12/2016 mental break from TTC-NTNP
    1/10/2017 initial appt with RE (all BW results WNL)
    1/17/2017 SA DX Virtual Azoo (3 sperm 0%morph 0%motility)
    1/18/2017 STP tubes clear
    2/1/2017 initial appt with Urologist
    2/15/2017 DX H Robertsonian Translocation
    H is on clomid and Theralogix Supplements
    6/26/17 repeat SA: 47 sperm 0% morph 13% motility
    7/26/17 IVF Consult, repeat SA (4 sperm)
    8/21/17 Starting IVF cycle with Donor Sperm backup
    9/1/17 ER ICSI PGS: only 2 donor embryos made it to freeze
    9/13/17 Started cycle for IUI with donor and clomid
    9/27/17 IUI canceled for overstim
    October Plan IUI with donor and low dose clomid

• @TravelingCouple Thank you for putting your experience out there. That sounds pretty rough. I'm close with my sister, which is a blessing and a curse in this scenario. It's only been like 36 hours and she is definitely asking about my treatments, which is great, but she is also talking about her pregnancy with zero filter and has already violated the "guidelines" we agreed to last night (in part since she's a hypochondriac, which was heightened in her previous pregnancies too). I can't be mad at her though since she is going through such a hard time herself...  Sending all the  <3 back at you. Are you at the fun Hawaii part of your break yet?
  • @TravelingCouple Yeah, I'm sure it will pass--my sister and I go through phases too. 

Ha! Yeah you should bring your cheaper lower 48 tampons for sure. We went to Kauai for our Honeymoon and loved it, but it's true, every little thing there is like a million dollars.

Have an amazing trip--you've earned it! 
  • @TravelingCouple thanks girl! I'm sorry about your sister. That sounds so difficult to navigate and so painful to try to deal with.
  • @JuneRoseRuby sorry I didn't see your tag at first girl. Prior to our first appointment with the urologist MH had 2 SAs done and then at our initial appt the Dr recommended another and suggested to do the DNA grab in addition (I believe they had to send out for that part of the test). The way he explained it was since we already knew MH had low count this was another more advanced test to run. I'm curious if fixing the varicoceles would also improve it because the way they were described to us the veins might be increasing heat in the area and that could be impacting everything. Still need to do more research on my own though. And thanks for the info on Clomid I think that's the ballpark of what MHs was too.
  • @AlohaKumu haha! If they looked liked that I'd bring a whole bunch back to the mainland, cost aside!
  • @heatherdubrow. Yay!  So happy to hear you're back in the ttc game! :D 

@JuneRoseRuby. Glad to hear YH is responding well to the Clomid!  DHs T is through the roof! But so is his FSH... :/ so fx it's still going to boost our chances when retrieval day comes...
  •  @sjb2215  My DH has high DNA fragmentation (43%) and was put on the coast supplement by his urologist. It seems to have improved his motile count slightly, but it didn't improve his DNA fragmentation much (retest was 39% which is still very high). If your DH has a known varicocele, surgery for that would probably be more effective than a supplement. My DH does not have a varicocele so we're not sure where the DNA frag is coming from :/  good luck. 

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• Sorry this is so late, I don't bump on weekends!

@JuneRoseRuby - I didn't push. The RE we saw "specialized" in MFI, so she suggested it. Apparently it's the testing is relatively new and fairly debated, so it doesn't surprise me that it wasn't offered. I don't think every place is even equipped to do the testing. 

@sjb2215 - Hey, so H's were subclinical at first check, now they're grade three (bilateral as well). As I have said before, I'm not really hopefully but //shrug. What is interesting (or stupid?) they never checked my H's levels. I don't know why, I should have asked, but never got around to it. I never thought he was low because he doesn't have any of the classic symptoms, but I guess we will never know. As far as surgery/embolization, they are actually different. They have the same efficacy, but the embolization is less invasive and has a shorter recovery period. 
    It's interesting that the DNI levels were listed as above 30%, because we were told 25%, and our level was 26%... I can't remember what sustainability was listed at, but I remember we were also at 26%, I think. Interestingly, we also saw he had an infection at the time, but I have no idea (and can't find any research) about whether or not that could have impacted his numbers. 
    I've also tried to research the varicocelectomy/embolization to see if it should affect the levels, but no dice- I can't find anything. 
    In my mind, though, it absolutely should. Heat naturally denatures DNA, and to have something so relatively unstable be under so much pressure...? I think so. I guess we will see?
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019