December 2017 Moms
Options

Healthy Habits Check-in: 4/23 - 4/29

1. What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week?
  2. Did you reach your health goals last week?
  3. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week?
  4. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals?
  5. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you?
D17 May Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV/Movie Mom

*TW*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

30 January 2017: Loss at 6+2

8 March 2017: Loss at 5+4

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Healthy Habits Check-in: 4/23 - 4/29

• Options
    Sorry for the late post, everyone!
    1. What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week? 80 oz. of water per day and at least 2 mi. per day. I'm also going to try to get 6.5 hrs. of sleep per night.
    2. Did you reach your health goals last week? Well, I did an amazing job with my walking. As long as I walk 0.04 more miles, I'll have exceeded my goal every day this week. In fact, my daily average for the last 7 days is 3.17 miles! I've had a ridiculous amount of energy, and my recent phase of agoraphobia seems to have lifted! I only hit my water goal twice, ugh. Still better than usual, but not good enough. For sleep, I did much better than I thought I did -- I hit 6.5 hrs. 5 times, and my daily average was 7 hrs. 17 mins. Unfortunately, I stayed up well past midnight and slept in almost every day because my insomnia has been crazy. Last night was the first time in a while that I tried to sleep without medicinal aid, and it sucked. I got a little over 4 hrs.
    3. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week? I'm keeping my water goal the same, 80 oz. daily. I'm going to increase my daily walking goal to 2.25 mi. My sleep goal will be the same, 6.5 hrs. I'm also going to add a nutritional goal! I'm going to try to eat 1 serving of vegetables per day! I had salad for lunch (very weird craving for me) and roasted asparagus with my dinner.
    4. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals? I'm going to enlist another person to help remind me to imbibe. I'm going to inflate the tires on DS' stroller, as their starting to go flat, and that will help with walks. Sleep ... I don't even know. I need more self-discipline. Any suggestions? As for veggies, DH and I agreed to start doing our grocery shopping in smaller, more frequent trips. We live a block from the supermarket, so it's easy enough. I am great at picking out veggies to eat, but they often sit in the fridge for days and then don't look appetizing. So, I'm going to buy what strikes my fancy and eat it immediately! I'm trying to use this as a way to buy and eat more fresh food, like fruits, vegetables, and fresh-baked bread.
    5. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you? I am great at buying what I *should* eat and not buying what I *shouldn't* eat. This lead to a big, healthy shopping trip, very little of which I actually ate, and then frequent small trips for junk food. Hopefully, the new plan will help use that to my advantage!

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    P.S. Anyone want to be water buddies? :blush:

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @pandawares great job on meeting your walking goal!

1. What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week? Working out at least 3 times, walking the dogs and eating healthier meals!
    2. Did you reach your health goals last week? about 50/50. I made it to 4 workout classes. The dogs didn't get out for as many walks as they should have though because I live in Canada and mother nature has decided it's winter again. I need to step up my game for eating healthier meals, I am struggling to eat proper meals with a lot of nutritional value it's really hard when you have no appetite.
    3. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week?  The same as last week 
    4. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals? Meal prep and prebook all my workout classes.
    5. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you? Being active, my husband and I are busy bodies and love to walk.
    Me: 28 | DH: 30
    BFP #1 April 12, 2017 EDD December 19, 2017
    Happily Ever After June 2014 <3<3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    NME44NME44 member
    Hi! Hoping to join in this one! 
              Didn't really do a whole lot last week.
    1. Did you reach your health goals last week?
    2. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week?
              Eating healthier foods. More fruits and veggies.
    1. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals?
              We meal plan and shop. I bought some of those prepackaged salads because I will never take the time to make my own salad. And I bought ingredients for fruit smoothies. Hoping to get some of those really vital vitamins and minerals. 
    1. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you?
              At the moment I can't think of one. When I'm not pregnant, I exercise quite a bit. I have some PGAL stuff to work through before I'm ready to start exercising during this pregnancy (likely will be second tri.) 

• Options
    @pandawares Great job with the water. I struggle with that. I am getting 2 Nalgene bottles daily but want to be at 3.  

@MrsWifey89 I stopped going to the gym once I started spotting. But that has stopped so I am ready to hop back on.  Have you noticed any difference in your energy level both before and/or after?

@NME44 right there with you with the worry about exercising even though my doctor has no qualms about it.  

AFM
    I tried to drink more water.  Ugh, hate water.  I managed 2-3 Nalgene bottle a day.
    Most days I met it.
    1. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week?
    I want to cut out all the processed crap from my diet.  ALL!  I already made some of my own "ice cream" with frozen bananas, cocoa, and peanut butter.  It was delicious. Now I need to find a substitute for tortilla chips which are my downfall. 
    Just not have any of that crap in the house!
    Nothing comes easy,  I guess because I am vegan I don't really eat too much fatty foods like cheeses so I guess that comes easy.
  • Options
    @pandawares thumbs up for meeting (and upping) your walking goal! As for bed time, I found that it really works for me to go to sleep at the same time everyday, and then allowing myself 30 mins in bed before sleep where I can read (no screens!). I'm usually asleep in 15 minutes. Of course, I don't have any kids yet, so I'm the only one in charge of my schedule.

@justsuzie Unsolicited advice - I use water bottle refilling as a break from work. So basically when I need a break, I'll finish what's in my bottle and go refill it. That helps to keep my intake up I think. 

1. What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week? I was aiming to walk more, and to keep track of my water. I'm satisfied that I get enough water just by drinking when I'm thirsty, so no need for tracking that anymore.
    2. Did you reach your health goals last week? I did excellent on walking. I got a walk in every day I think!
    3. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week? Continuing with walking. Figuring out what the dietary recommendations exist for pregnancy. Since I'm not nauseous yet, I can spend some time stocking up on good things and getting educated about food. 
    4. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals? Substituting useless internet time for food research?
    5. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you? Water, clearly. 
  • Options
    Awesome work ladies!!! You are inspiring me to be more active!! Especially with walking! @pandawares

1. What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week? Water and movement. We have a walk challenge (that I organized) going on at my company. So being the challenge lead and my team lead is motivating but feeling crumby really has me low. :(
    2. Did you reach your health goals last week? I was able to keep up with water and I did move more than I thought I would have being as I have a nasty cold right now. I even made it to 2 barre classes!
    3. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week? Right now I'm just focusing on feeling better all-around. This cold knocked me down hard. So maybe sleep?
    4. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals? Listening to myself, but pushing a little bit. Going to bed a little earlier and maybe cutting a few things from my morning routine to sleep a little longer when I can.
    5. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you? This week it's been water.  I've been hydrating non-stop to try and knock this cold.
    You ladies are so great about encouraging each other and coming up with great ideas to stick to you goals!! Thank you :)
  • Options
    @justsuzie getting to the gym is definitely a struggle but I find afterwards I usually have a bit of a burst of energy so I usually try and do some housework right after! I hopefully that keeps up! :) 
    Me: 28 | DH: 30
    BFP #1 April 12, 2017 EDD December 19, 2017
    Happily Ever After June 2014 <3<3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    light exercise, getting enough water and nutritious foods
     All except for getting enough water. I think I need to start carrying around a big gulp with me everywhere because I'm constantly forgetting to drink throughout the day. I always have my water bottle with me when I exercise though.
    1. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week?
    same as last week
    Investing in a large water cup or jug and possible prepping meals, which I used to do of pre pregnancy. 
    on a normal day, eating clean. Cooking is a passion of mine and I always cook healthy meals at home. I'm always trying new recipes and swapping out certain ingredients for better ones. One of my favorite places to get recipes is cleaneatingmag.com. Pinterest also also has great ideas for recipes and meal prepping. Lately my appetite comes and goes and I still have days where I just don't feel like cooking and order a pizza or go out to eat instead. Right now I'm obsessed with fruit salad with mini marshmallows and unsweetened coconut flakes, mmmmm!
  • Options
    What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week?
    Uh, none. I have been so bad.
    Did you reach your health goals last week?
    See above  :D
    What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week?
    I want to drink more water, walk more, maybe get back to Zumba, and stop eating out so much!
    How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals?
    I need to grocery shop today or tomorrow and force myself to cook.
    GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you?
    I used to be really good at meal planning and sticking to it. That has gone out the window lately  :s
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    What's up guys?  I'm so glad there's a healthy habits thread over here. It's good to be held accountable!

@pandawares Ugh, I feel you on the insomnia. I've been taking ambien every night for 7 years and had to quit cold turkey Friday. Needless to say, I've been sleeping like total shit and I'm going insane. Last night, I managed to get maybe 5 hours. And that was with a Tylenol pm. My doctor said I could take that sometimes. It barely does anything. 
    @MrsWifey89 Nice job on the workouts!  Sorry the weather is being an asshole though. Come on spring, where you at??
    @NME44 I totally understand the apprehension with working out. I'm feeling the same way.  I might try something light like yoga. It's not the same feeling as a good cardio or weight session, but it helps. 
    @justsuzie I give you props for being a vegan - I could never give up cheese. I'm jealous of you and not eating all of the extra calories that I do :)
    @camomile_june Good advice on the sleepytime patterns. I'll give that a whirl...
    @jesrude Hell yeah to continuing barre class through a cold!  I would never get the energy to do that. Good job!
    @jfritschie87 I love cruising Pinterest for new recipes. They've got some good stuff on there. Ugh, but anytime I try to make something healthy for my man, he always hates it. Haha he prentends he doesn't, but I know he does lol. 
    @ktcakes87 This is whole new week!  You can do it!

1. What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week? Staying active with my workouts and not eating a ton of crap. 
    2. Did you reach your health goals last week? Sort of. I had a weird work week and didn't have a ton of time to do any actual workouts, but I was able to stay active to keep my step count up. And I definitely ate less crap, considering I found out I was pregnant and couldn't drink wine and eat pizza every 5 seconds. Yay me!
    3. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week? Upping my fruit and veggie game - which is usually on point, but I desperately need to go grocery shopping tomorrow to keep that going. I'm a little scared to work out. I've been doing the Insanity program by Shawn T, but that seems too intense. And my doctor told me I shouldn't be doing any weight lifting for some reason. Any workouts you guys like?
    4. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals? Grocery shop and go for a ton of walks and bike rides :)
    5. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you? Drinking water!  I can easily pound 8 glasses of ice water a day. I actually don't drink anything else. (Well, except wine, but that's out for a while lol)

• Options
    @breezybee Did your dr. tell you to stop taking Ambien? My OB prescribed it for me when I was pregnant with DS. I still take it a couple times a week.

I killed my walking goal yesterday, but water was still under. I had a salad for lunch! And I slept almost 13 hours last night ... oops! I guess the insomnia caught up with me.

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    breezybeebreezybee member
    edited April 2017
    @pandawares She didn't, but all of my doctors kept saying I would have to stop when I got pregnant. I actually emailed her about this yesterday, and I'm waiting for her response. Dear god, if I can take ambien sometimes, that would be sooooooooo amazing. I couldn't fall asleep last night and started CRYING because I was so frustrated.  This is my first pregnancy, and you always know it's going to be hard, but I just wasn't prepared for it to be this hard right away, you know?
  • Options
    @breezybee I completely understand! I go back and forth between Ambien and diphenhydramine for sleep, but I've managed to not take anything the past two nights. The first night, I got 4 hours, and last night I got 12. Oof.

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hang in there @pandawares!  
  • Options
    I'm trying, @breezybee! I have to take three medications daily for my mental health, so I'm trying to take other medications only if they're really, really needed.

*TW*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1. What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week? Just my normal stuff, like working out a few times a week, etc.
    2. Did you reach your health goals last week? Yes, I suppose.
    3. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week? Well, this week I know I'm pregnant, so I'm going to try to start out eating as healthy as possible. I have a major sweet tooth and we have Easter candy in the house, so my major thing is trying to avoid that, and eat fruits/vegetables/protein instead.
    4. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals? Went to the store last night and got a bunch of good stuff!
    5. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you? Drinking water, at least during the week.
    I have a question. I've read that for exercise, you should stick with what you've been doing and not start anything new. I did Zumba at least once a week, then stopped a few months ago because it didn't fit my schedule. Last Saturday and once during the week (Monday or Tuesday?) I got back into going again. It didn't feel any harder than it used to or anything. I'm wondering if I can do Zumba or if I should stop? I might send a message to my doctor's office via the online portal to check with them, but throwing it out there here first!

@pandawares I'm bad with the frequent small trips for junk food too.
    @MrsWifey89 Four classes is good!
    @NME44 We used to meal prep and I hated it because I ended up doing all the work. But now I can't just throw together a sandwich so we're going to start that again. But now that I'm KU DH is being better about helping out, so hopefully I don't end up tearing my hair out over it!
    @justsuzie I need to try that "ice cream"!
    @camomile_june Great job getting a walk in every day!
    @jesrude Those challenges can be so motivating. Maybe I should start wearing my Fitbit again...
    @jfritschie I'm going to have to check out that site for recipes.
    @ktcakes87 We should probably cut down on our eating out too. For health reasons as well as financial! Ahh!
    @breezybee What kind of weights are we talking? I have some little baby five-pounders that I like to do arm workouts with because I haaate my arms and they need work...but I'm scared of them now. Lol.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    NME44NME44 member
    edited April 2017
    @MJDsquared, you can do Zumba. I'm just a big scaredy mcscaredy cat and want to live in my bubble for the next 7 weeks. Normal exercise is fine during pregnancy.

ETA: just listen to your body. Now isn't the time to set records.
  • Options
    @MJDsquared You won't regret it.  You can also add different extract flavors like mint or vanilla. 

My OB had a woman who ran 20-30 miles a week up until 7 months....She said just don't try to do more than you are used to. (like @NME44 said, no need to set records.)
  • Options
    @NME44 @justsuzie Thank you! That's why I asked, because I haven't been regularly doing Zumba. But since I've been regularly doing cardio and the Zumba classes last week weren't super straining or anything, I think I'm okay.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    @MJDsquared Don't be alarmed if you have spotting afterwards, totally normal.  My dr warned me of this. The impact might upset the cervix a bit. 
  • Options
    @MJDsquared I would think you still can, but I'm over here all scared to do my regular workouts, so I'm kind of a hypocrite lol
    The most I'll use is 10lb weights in each arm.  When they told me not to use them, they just said don't use them until my first appointment. I can live with that - it's only like 2 weeks away. I'll just up my cardio!
  • Options
    @breezybee - Thanks! I probably shouldn't have, but I didn't feel that bad at the time.  I haven't worked out since last Wednesday and its making me a little nutty. Also, love your gif. that is hilarious!

@MJDsquared thank you! They are. Every week when teams check-in with me I get so inspired and feel incredibly humbled. I wasn't pregnant when this challenge was in the works, so it's very advantageous that it's going on through my first trimester to keep me up and moving through all the MS crud.
  • Options
    NME44NME44 member
    Okay, so my healthy habits kicked in today! Well, for tomorrow, really. I prepped healthy foods today! So a smoothie (banana, Greek yogurt, sweet potato, frozen berries, cranberry juice, ground flax seed, coconut oil), pepper steak (from the eating well when you're expecting book) with brown rice (also my dinner tonight), salad (one of those bagged with all the ingredients from the grocery store...still counts), almonds cashews and craisins, and I will eventually make these pumpkin pie muffins as my sweet treat, but for now I have these Wow! gluten free cookies. I'm not gluten free, but gluten free baked goods are always just so good!

so let's see if I can keep this up.
  • Options
    NME44NME44 member
    Adding, perhaps that seems like a lot of food, but I work 12 hr shifts.
  • Options
    @MJDsquared you most definitely can continue Zumba !
    @NME44 I have to find a bigger lunch bag because I can't even make it through my 8 hour shifts with the amount of food that fits in my current bag  :dizzy:
    1. What health habits did you try to maintain or work on last week? Strength training
    2. Did you reach your health goals last week? Not even close. Today was the first strength workout in nearly a week.  I've been avoiding this thread like the plague. The vertigo and fatigue have kicked my ass
    3. What healthy habits do you plan to work on this week? Same. Hoping to strengthen train every second day. I would like to get a few walks in too when this damn snow melts again!
    4. How are you going to help yourself achieve this week's goals? I'll probably go to the doctor if the vertigo hasn't resolves by next week... it's getting ridiculous 
    5. GTKY: What healthy habit comes easiest to you? Probably nutrition. I kind of had a light bulb moment after DS was born and got way more in tune with how foods make me feel, so it's much easier for me to choose "healthier" foods more often because I like feeling good more often than not.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @nme44 way to go!!!! That's awesome.
  • Options
    @NME44Great job, and it all sounds delicious.
    @kvacmak Welcome to the thread, good job on making your way in here :smiley: Try not to overdo it, what with the vertigo and all.