September 2017 Moms
Options

Good/Bad Epidural Experience

DPandMBDPandMB member
edited April 2017 in September 2017 Moms
Ok. Since the Birth Story thread, several of us are wondering about the epidural experiences. I figured lets do a poll to see if it was good or bad. So how was your epidural experience?

Good/Bad Epidural Experience 56 votes

My experience was great.
69% 39 votes
My experience was horrible.
10% 6 votes
My experience wasn't really good or bad, it just didnt work.
8% 5 votes
Other, explanation below.
10% 6 votes

Re: Good/Bad Epidural Experience

• Options
    Lol @lap018 I am so jealous
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lap018 said:
    Is there an option for it was like angels descended down from heaven and laid a warm fuzzy blanket on me from the waist down? Because there should be!

This made me laugh out loud and was exactly how mine went.

• Options
    lap018 said:
    Is there an option for it was like angels descended down from heaven and laid a warm fuzzy blanket on me from the waist down? Because there should be!
    Hahaha best description yet!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It was the best thing in whole world! It HURTS when it gets placed but that was the only pain I felt during the whole process.
  • Options
    I loved it.  Not before the csection itself, it was the easiest part of the whole thing. 
  • Options
    I have had 3.  My epidural with the first baby only took on half my body though, so they had to come in and redo it partway through my labor.  All 3 were magical though.  I wouldn't do it any other way given the choice!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @kelseyrayay that's crazy.. wow. Also I feel like there should be no such thing as an anesthesiologist that sucks! That's actually really scary, I'm sorry you had that issue. Mine walked in and made a comment about how tired he was (which made me SUPER happy) but he ended up doing a great job, so I was thankful for that. Come to find out later, he's my doctor's husband haha!
  • Options
    Mine was horrible, he hit a bunch of nerves and it felt like lightning all down my left side. He then tried to place it four more times and kept hitting my spine, and when he finally got it placed, it ended up not working, and I was having stupid intense pain in my left hip like my leg was being ripped off. It was awful. I wish I had the wonderful experience some of you got! 
  • Options
    @MySallyGirl If my pregnancy riddled, addlepated mind is correct, your DS #2 has a bday tomorrow?  If so, happy birthday to your LO! 
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My experience with my son's birth was that it worked. Less scary and painful than I thought the needle would be. It took forever for the anesthesiologist to come so I wish I had asked for one a bit sooner. But when it came time to push, well I couldn't feel anything to time it with contractions.which dragged out the process. Also it took forever to wear off. Which meant assistance to.use the bathroom and care for my son.

It wasn't a bad experience but I didn't love it. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Loved it! No issues getting it in. I could still feel what my body was doing and knew when I was having contractions so I knew when to push. I've heard people knock them because they felt disconnected from what was happening but that was not my experience at all. My experience was awesome.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Mine was horrible. also I had terrible back spasms after I got my epidural. But my dr said that that only happens to 1 out of every 10,000 people. Guess who is always lucky 1? Meee!!!!!! Plus I think my anistesiologist sucked. I've had several people have issues when he did their epidurals. 
    Me too!!! Wow. It was truly the worst. I haven't done my birth story yet because I don't want to scare anyone. But this happened to me as well. 

I tried to put off getting epidural so when I finally got it it was great. But then I started having these back spasms that were worse pain than the contractions I was having. I literally could not breathe. My parents arrived at the hospital while I was in labor around the time I started experiencing this and my dad got so scared seeing me In that much pain that he cried and left the room and wouldn't come back in.

Also, my epidural essentially wore off by the time I delivered no matter how many times I pushed that damn button so I felt every single contraction, push, tear and stitch. 

I hope my next experience will be better because that shit was a nightmare. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had 2 super fantastic epidurals and one that didn't seem to work. I will be having an epidural with this baby as well.
  • Options
    I must say I am feeling a bit better right now based on the results of the votes. 

• Options
    Can someone describe the pain of the getting the epidural?  Does it feel like getting a shot or blood drawn or worse? Is it like a painful pinch that goes away or does it linger?
  • Options
    I don't plan to get an epidural. Of the 7 ladies I work with who have delivered at the same hospital I wil be going to, 5 had shitty epidural experiences. Things like hitting nerves, wrong placement so only their legs went numb, saddle block... I feel like it's safe to assume the anasthesiologist (spelling?) at that L&D ward sucks.
  • Options
    My epidural was absolutely amazing!!! After 13 hours of very painful labor, the epidural was great. I was in so much pain that I didn't feel the epidural go in. I just felt pressure. The hard part was trying to stay still while contracting and them inserting the needle. But my nurse gave me a pillow and hugged me while they were doing it. After that it was great. I napped for an hour and then it was time to push and I felt absolutely nothing! 

The only rough part was the not being able to walk for awhile afterward and needing help to use to the bathroom. 

I'd like to try to go without the epidural this time just so that I can feel my legs and walk around after I deliver but I'm not above it if it comes to that. 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Edited for a double post lol 
  • Options
    It really makes a difference when you have someone who really knows what they are doing. I had a different person do my spinal block. Now that is heavenly! So if a spinal is what a epidural feels like then yes it's worth it lol 
  • Options
    lap018 said:
    The only "painful" part of it was the lidocaine shot they give you to numb you before the spinal goes in. It feels like a bee sting in the back (a welcome distraction from the pain of having a contraction), then the spinal catheter goes in and it just feels sort of strange not painful, you can just feel them putting it in but it doesn't hurt @Ae_Lovely321
    Exactly 
  • Options
    It really makes a difference when you have someone who really knows what they are doing. I had a different person do my spinal block. Now that is heavenly! So if a spinal is what a epidural feels like then yes it's worth it lol 
    I'm actually pretty certain it's a nurse anesthetist that does epidurals and not the anesthesiologist. The anesthesiologist probably took over to do your spinal block/surgery anesthesia. I could be wrong but I think that's how they operate 
  • Options
    My first was like the "angel experience" described above.  I had just one tiny spot in my abdoment that didn't numb for some reason, but it helped because I could still feel contractions when I needed to without wanting to die.  :-)

My second was fine during delivery, except I had back labor and it didn't do anything for that at all. :(  However, post-labor, my uterus was not contracting (or contracting enough), and I had to be put back on Pitocen for another 12 hours to get my uterus to stop bleeding.  It wasn't terribly serious, and I can't say for sure that it was a side effect of the epidural, but it can be.  (I also delayed nursing, which I'm sure didn't help.  I don't know why, except I was exhausted and out of it and for some weird reason asked to not hold my baby right away.  It was strange.  I still can't explain it.)

As far as getting the epidural, the lidocane shot is about 10 seconds of burning in your back.  It's not my favorite thing.  Then there can be a "zap" down one or both legs when they place the epidural.  It's extremely brief, although again, not my favorite. 

All that said, will I be getting an epidural this time around?  Hell. Yes.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lap018 said:
    I'm actually pretty certain it's a nurse anesthetist that does epidurals and not the anesthesiologist. The anesthesiologist probably took over to do your spinal block/surgery anesthesia. I could be wrong but I think that's how they operate 
    The anesthesiologist did my epidural. Then again this was at a small hospital in Douglas Wyoming so I don't think I had many options to begin with lol
  • Options
    I want to second what @mrs_tacos said. Thanks for the details. I know our bodies will probably handle it all differently, but I'm such a planner and not knowing what to expect makes me worry more.  I definitely hate shots, but I think I can deal with a stinging pain for a bit if the overall effect will be reduced pain later. 
  • Options
    I had two and both times the experience was great. I didn't have a birth plan, kinda wanted to see where labor/contractions/etc. would take me but in the end I opted for the epidural. For the first I was in so much pain from induced contractions that I didn't feel the epidural go in, I just felt the amazing non pain once it worked. I would see my abdomen tense in contraction and be so glad I felt nothing. For the second I felt it go in but it was a really small pinch compared to again induced contractions but then it was ok. My least favorite part was the shakes, just got cold and my body shook for a few minutes and couldn't stop. But then it was smooth sailing. I was able to feel baby and still push. I just pushed "wrong" the first time so it took very long.
  • Options
    For me, the pain of the epidural was nothing compared to the pain of the contractions. Mine just didn't work. I talked to the anesthesiologist the day after my second delivery and he said some people have scar tissue, or some unknown blockage that prevents it from spreading to the areas it's suppose to get to. He recommended a spinal for me next time. I've heard it's really hard to push with a spinal, so I'm not sure I want that either.
  • Options
    @Ae_Lovely321 I know everyone's experience with epidurals are different, but nothing about getting mine was painful. Even the lidocaine shot was nothing! He gave me a topical first, then lidocaine.. then epidural. I felt a tiny bit of pressure, but that was it.
  • Options
    I HATE shots and needles, but at that point it was nothing because you can't see it and, contractions. Mine was amazing. Right after he was like, ok you're having a a contraction, and I was so happy! I could actually relax and enjoy what was going on around me and pay attention. I actually had an allergic reaction to the latex or something on the bandage they used, but that was the only downfall, and it was just an itchy rash. I did have to be helped to the bathroom, but that was fine with me. It's probably one of the last times everybody will be doing everything for you! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Honestly I don't even remember what the poke felt like at all, I was hunched over and contracting and was trying to focus on anything but what was happening. I don't remember what I felt, poke wise. Couldn't have been to bad if I don't remember right? Lol
  • Options
    CarebellaCarebella member
    edited April 2017
    I had to transfer from our birth center to the hospital because I wasn't progressing and was at risk of being too tired to push. Getting the epidural was nowhere near as bad as expected, but staying still through contractions was hard. It worked for me and I was able to walk okay not long after giving birth from what I recall. It was hard to tell when to push but managed okay and it was never super painful. After the epidural, I felt like I got punched in the back for awhile afterwards. And while I never had mid-back pain in the past, it's been much more common for me ever since. So while I'm mostly grateful I could get one, and that it worked, I REALLY wish I could of avoided it. 
  • Options
    I HATE shots and needles, but at that point it was nothing because you can't see it and, contractions. Mine was amazing. Right after he was like, ok you're having a a contraction, and I was so happy! I could actually relax and enjoy what was going on around me and pay attention. I actually had an allergic reaction to the latex or something on the bandage they used, but that was the only downfall, and it was just an itchy rash. I did have to be helped to the bathroom, but that was fine with me. It's probably one of the last times everybody will be doing everything for you! 
    This is something I'm nervous about - and something my doctor said to mention to the anesthesiologist. I don't know if s/hee'll be able to do anything differently. It's not the latex for me, but with the pregnancy I developed a full blown allergy to the adhesives in bandaids/tape (we're talking full blisters that ITCH LIKE SATAN for a full week and take over a month to fade).
  • Options
    My SIL I think enjoyed her epidural during labor but has had a TON of lingering back pain from it that hasn't been able to be fixed. She was a die hard epidural person and now swears that she wouldn't get one again and is highly recommending I don't either. 
    Me: 37 DH: 32 TTGP Since 2014 INFERTILITY INFO (Medicated, IUI's, IVF/FET) IN SPOILER
    October 2014-April 2015: Without Medication or Doctor Guidance No Periods/No O BFN 
    Medicated April-December 2015: Clomid (didn't work) and so we tried Femera/Letrozole. Progesterone Met 1000 Not diagnosed PCOS but treating the same. Anovulatory. TI No US No O BFN 

- TW - 
    IUI"S 
    January 2016-October 2016: Letrozole 2.5mg-7.5 mg, Pregyl or Ovideral Trigger Shot.
    9 cycles of IUI
    (7 Cancelled due to no mature follicles) (2 attempted IUI's with mature follicles)  

IUI # 2 June 2016 and July 2016:  Met 1000, Estrogen (21 days), Progesterone (5 days) Femera 5m 6/28/16 Ultrasound CD14 = 25 follie. Pregnyl Trigger CD14 IUI 7/13 1stBeta (DPO 15): 7.6 (Surprise BFP...but Low #'s) 2ndBeta (DPO 17): 18 3rdBeta (DPO 19) 52.8 Progesterone Prescribed (spotting) 4thBeta (DPO 26) 6.9 Chemical Pregnancy BFN

IVF and FET (diagnosed with PCOS) 204 pounds at start of IVF
    IVF # 1 October and November 2016: CCRM - Minneapolis 10/14 Consult and CD 3 testing, 10/14 started (OCP Antagonist - BCP) BCP, 10/21 1 day work up, Doxycycline 100mg 10 days, 10/24 stop bcp, Bloodwork US 10/29, 10/30-11/8 Stims 2 vials of Menopur, Dexamethasone, 225 of Gonal-F daily (dropped to 120). CCRM Vitamin Cocktail (like 20 of them), Monitoring (11/2, 11/4, 11/5, 11/6, 11/7, 11/8), Retrieval 11/10 (38 eggs, 30 mature, 16 fertilized ICSI), 11/16 8 Blasts 11/30 CCS testing results 3 Normal 5aa's (2 boys and 1 girl) 1 Unknown 4 Abnormal (All girls) 

Fet #1 January 2017: CCRM - Minneapolis bcp/lupron/suppository/p4 in oil QOD AF 12/7, 12/8 start meds. 1/3 lining and blood work check 14/15 mm, BW check 1/6. 1/9 transfer with acupuncture 1 CCS/PGS Normal 5aa hatching Progesterone around 26ish? Lower estrogen level 207 (wanted above 300 but over 200 was acceptable), started 1 estrace, progesterone in oil every other day, vivelle dot patches 4 every other day, 3x estrodiol daily, vitamin cocktail. POAS: - 4dp5dt and 5dp5dt, 6dp5dt frer very very very faint line. 7dp5dt and 8dp5dt + on Accuclear. 8dp5dt pregnant on a clear blue easy digital. 214 pounds at FET
    1/18 #1 Beta 91.1
    1/20 #2 Beta 215.9
    2/3 6 week US 2 sacs? Twins? but only 1 heartbeat/pole good heartbeat Stopped taking baby asprin Added in DHEA Veg Vitamin (also got the report that they transferred a girl 5aa eggo) 
    2/10 7 week US 2 sacs (likely vanishing twin) only 1 heartbeat/pole etc good heartbeat 137
    2/24 9 week US 1 eggo sac good heart beat 182 1 very small fluid sac (shrinking) 
    2/24 9 week 2 days start weening. Graduated from RE (CCRM is now starting weening as soon as 8.5 weeks)
    3/7 10 Weeks 5 days  weened completely of FET meds A1C 5.3% (Normal)
    3/9 11 Weeks 1 day my progesterone level was 15 and my estrogen level was 881 (I freaked out!)
    3/16 12 Weeks 1 day baby heard on doppler 164 HB
    4/14 16 week 2 days Ultrasound baby is looking good with all good numbers sized 17 weeks. Also got to hear her on the doppler for a few mins too. 

5/5 19 Weeks 2 days going in for "20" week anatomy ultrasound got measurements but need to come back as wasn't able to get all the measurements
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 4.6 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (78%) HC 17.0 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (70%) AC 14.5 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (69%) Femur 3.1 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (63%) Humerus 3.1 cm 20 weeks 2 days (84%) Cerebellum 2.0 cm 19 weeks 5 days
    CisternaMagna 6.2 mm Nuchal Fold 4.5 mm
    HC/AC 1.17 FL/AC 0.22 FL/BPD 0.68 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 309 grams - 0 lbs 11 oz
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 19 weeks 5 days +/- 10 days.

6/9 24 Weeks 2 days Glucose Test 1 hour (Failed) 190
    6/16 25 Weeks 2 days Ultrasound and 1st Baby Shower 
    6/20 25 Weeks 6 days Glucose Test 3 Hours (Failed) 95 (95), 183 (180), 213 (155), 198 (140) etc
    6/21 26 Weeks Recommended to a perintologist
    6/22 26 Weeks 1 day start monitoring blood sugar levels 
    6/30 27 Weeks 2 day A1 (blood sugar test ordered)

7/5 28 Weeks Echo and 3d Ultrasound
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 2.6 Q2: 3.2 Q3: 4.8 Q4: 5.6 AFI Total = 16.3 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal 
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 7.2 cm 28 weeks 5 days* (60%) HC 26.4 cm 28 weeks 4 days* (48%) AC 23.3 cm 27 weeks 4 days* (36%) Femur 5.2 cm 28 weeks 0 days* (36%) Humerus 4.8 cm 28 weeks 0 days (49%)
    HC/AC 1.13 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.73 Ceph Index 0.77 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1142 grams - 2 lbs 8 oz (37%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 28 weeks 1 day +/- 14 days.

7/10 28 Weeks 5 days Dietitian Appt and Lactatcian Consultant and A1 blood draw 5.4% (normal) 218.5 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks GD consult. 6 Lantus at 7pm daily. Novolog 1 unit for every 15 gm carbohydrate if consumed more than 30 gm at brkfst or 60 gm at lunch or supper 215.6 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks Transferred care to OB due to high risk. 216 pounds

8/2 32 Weeks Ultrasound (not cooperative and still breech) and then weekly NST's
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.0 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (44%) HC 29.2 cm 31 weeks 6 days* (22%) AC 26.9 cm 31 weeks 0 days* (24%)  Femur 6.3 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (57%) Humerus 5.7 cm 32 weeks 6 days (71%)
    HC/AC 1.08 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.78 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1808 grams - 3 lbs 15 oz (29%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 31 weeks 6 days +/- 18 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.4 Q2: 2.9 Q3: 2.9 Q4: 4.4 AFI Total = 13.6 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/8 32w6d upped to 1:10 for dinner 
    8/11 Baby Shower
    8/13 Baby Shower
    8/16 34 weeks NST good reading Upped to 8 at bed for fasting and 1:7 for dinner 
    8/18 Dr Appt

8/24 35 weeks 1 day (was suppose to be scheduled for 36 weeks) Weeks Ultrasound/GD Dr Appt/OB Appt 
    Frank Breech
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.9 cm 35 weeks 6 days* (67%) HC 31.7 cm 35 weeks 1 day * (35%) AC 30.2 cm 34 weeks 2 days* (33%) Femur 6.9 cm 34 weeks 6 days* (57%) Humerus 6.0 cm 34 weeks 6 days (64%)
    HC/AC 1.05 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.80 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 2494 grams - 5 lbs 8 oz (39%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 35 weeks 1 day +/- 21 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.3 Q2: 3.8 Q3: 2.4 Q4: 3.8 AFI Total = 13.4 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/31 36 Weeks
    9/7 37 Weeks
    9/10 Water broke...I got it tested at the emergency room it it showed it was negative. More water breaking and didn't go to the dr.
    9/11 37 weeks 4 days Called the Dr and got retested for water breaking...
    10:30pmish Baby Girl Born via Emergency C Section (Frank Breech Baby) 6lbs 3oz  -
    9/13 Dropped to 5 pounds 10oz and had jaundice 
    9/13 38 weeks

9/22 39 Weeks 2 days C Section Scheduled for 10am (arrive at 8am) Equinox/Solstice
    EDD 9/27
  • Options
    I picked other, because I had a spinal, but it was amazing. If I need the services of an anesthesiologist again, I will request the same one. He was selected by my OB since my surgery was scheduled.
  • Options
    lilpoots said:
    I picked other, because I had a spinal, but it was amazing. If I need the services of an anesthesiologist again, I will request the same one. He was selected by my OB since my surgery was scheduled.
    I'm getting a spinal for my RCS, but for some reason I am terrified that it's not going to work and I'll be able to feel the c-section.... can you tell me about your spinal?