August 2017 Moms
Options

FTM Check-in: Week of 4/17

Since this hasn't been posted yet today I jumped in!

How far along are you? 

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go?

Cravings?

Rants/Raves?

Questions for FTM, STM+?

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? 

Re: FTM Check-in: Week of 4/17

• Options
    How far along are you? 22 weeks tomorrow

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Normal prenatal on Wednesday 

Cravings? Chocolate. Thankfully didn't get an Easter basket so nothing to indulge in. Except there's a can of frosting in my pantry...

Rants/Raves? I just saw a full copy of my medical records from my OB (before we switched to home birth) and they add so much crap that we never discussed (e.g. "Discussed with patient the importance of TDAP vaccine after x weeks" um no you never even mentioned it). I feel like we should have to sign off on our medical records because doctors can add whatever ish they want to cover their butts.

Questions for FTM, STM+? Can't think of any?

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? This is probably cheating but wanted to set a good precedent for being flexible with this question SO The Chronicles of Narnia, all 7 of them (technically I own them all in one *book* so there's that)
  • Options

How far along are you? 23w1d

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Nothing this week - all was well last week! 

Cravings? Ice cream/gelato

Rants/Raves? Our house is all done with the paint and stuff. I can finally relax. Just gardens to do this spring. 

Questions for FTM, STM+?

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? The Giver has been my fav since elementary school. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How far along are you?  23 weeks

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Next week is 24 week check up 

Cravings? Food. With a lot of bread involved. Loaded in butter. 

Rants/Raves?  My belly is getting so huge. My sister was with my grandma so I FaceTimed them and Grandma goes "you're huge!" Haha gotta love blunt old people! Thankfully, it's all in my belly so if I can keep it like that, I'll be fine :)

Questions for FTM, STM+?

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time?  The Giver. Since 4th grade I have always loved this book. I was never a big reader when I was younger so the fact that I read it twice is a BIG deal!
  • Options
    @JWatt5 and @mokay19 I am holding off answering this until my appt tomorrow, but the Giver is 100% my favorite book! It is the book that I credit with making me fall in love with reading. I would love to read it again soon. Glad to see others love it, too. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How far along are you? 21 + 2 

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? My A/S is tomorrow! :D 

Cravings? No but I have had so much Easter candy (Reese's eggs) ugh. I feel terrible. I hope my glucose test isn't anytime soon 

Rants/Raves? candy :( 

Questions for FTM, STM+? For team green moms - what did you bring baby home in? Gender neutral outfit or gender specific? I'm wondering if I should purchase a cute boy and girl outfit for photos? 

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis. I read if for Theology in high school and wrote essays comparing/contrasting The Chronicles of Narnia with the Bible. If you are at all interested in Theology, biblical history or anything of the sort definitely read this series. 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• Options
    How far along are you? 
    24 weeks 6 days

Glucose test Friday. Haven't heard anything about results yet, but my doctors office is of the mindset no news is good news 

Cravings?
    cheesecake

Rants/Raves?
    Rant: so tired. Was out all day Sunday and am still recovering 
    Questions for FTM, STM+?
    How many ultrasounds is typical in pregnancy? I have another one at 28 weeks. Should I expect anymore after that?
    Anyone getting bad headaches? Is this potentially related to pregnancy? Any tips for dealing?

This is a hard one, but I'm gonna say the Harry Potter series
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ColoradoHikerColoradoHiker member
    edited April 2017
    @Kathryn0903  With DS, I had an u/s at 12, 20 and 32ish weeks.  With this LO I've had them at 8, 12 and will at 20w next week.  The one in the 30w range was mostly to check for position.  It seems like all the OB offices do it so differently, so you may or may not have another one before your LO is born.  

Also, are you dealing with bad swelling in your hands/ face/ feet, or blurred vision?  High blood pressure?  I'm not trying to fear monger, but really bad headaches can be a sign of preeclampsia, so if you have them combined with any of the other symptoms, I would call your OB.  
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @BlackNYellow we bought a little girl and boy outfit that we brought to the hospital. The plan was to return the one we didn't use (they were Carter's and they have a good return policy) but another mom in my BMB wanted the one we didn't use so we sold it to her. 

@Kathryn0903 the number of ultrasounds you have can vary greatly. We've had two so far with this pregnancy (dating u/s and A/S). I know I'll have one at 30 wks only because of DD being "small" throughout that pregnancy so they are checking to make sure this one is fine. Then I'll have another around 36 wks because of a possible VBAC. With DD we had a lot due to her measurements. But I have friends and family who have had one or two their entire pregnancy. I'd check with your doctor. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    How far along are you? 22+1

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? We had our anatomy scan Thursday with the MFM and then my appt with the midwife Friday.  Both went great!  We found out our twins are a boy and a girl.  And they are both measuring perfectly and wiggling like crazy.  MW appointment was great also.  I really love her.

Cravings?  Now I want bread and butter since someone mentioned that.  We have a restaurant here that's cheese based (amazing) and I used to eat this sandwich there all the time that was a baguette with butter, brie, and super thin ham.  Now I'm wondering if I can get them to just give me a buttered baguette.

Rants/Raves?  I would like my coworkers to stop acting like I'm made of glass.  Someone just (barely!) bumped into me in the kitchen and you should have seen the looks the other men in there gave him.  I thought he was going to get beat up.

Questions for FTM, STM+? Are mobiles over the crib too much stimulation?  We are trying to decide whether to put one over each crib or just one over the changing table

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time?  Adults: The Handmaid's Tale, Kids: The Phantom Tollbooth.
  • Options
    Thank you @mrsmatt1212 for posting! We had a holiday yesterday, and my schedule was all thrown off! I'll pick up again next week! 

How far along are you? 22 weeks and 5 day

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Check up with midwife next week.

Cravings? Chocolates! 

Rants/Raves? Bump is showing! Someone offered me their seat on the subway :)

Questions for FTM, STM+? I won't have it for a few weeks, but anyway to prep for the gestational diabetes test? 

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? I would say To Kill a Mockingbird. Great book! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How far along are you? 24 weeks!  VIABILITY!!!

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Not until next week, regular OB and glucose test. 

Cravings? Sweets.  I want Ice cream, and sorbet, but I have to settle with healthier smoothies that I make at home, becuase I would be the size of a house if I ate what I really wanted. 

Rants/Raves? This whole last weekend was beautiful out in MA.  The weather was so not normal for this time of year, and I was outside more than in.  It was amazing.  We are also starting on the nursery this week, and I cant wait to get that going! 

Questions for FTM, STM+? When did you install the car seat?  I was thinking this weekend, that I am going to be going to Maine my my shower (I think) about a month before due date, and while it would be super early, I would hate to go into labor up there, and not have the car seat with me.  Is a month or more too early to do it?

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? Harry Potter! I have read the series and watched the movies countless times.  I cant wait to start reading them to our little dude! 

**TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    @ColoradoHiker no swelling yet. I did have an instance of blurred vision, but only once so far. I have high blood pressure, but only at the doctors office. Doctor has me monitoring at home and everything is normal. If headaches continue, I'm definitely gonna call the OB.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think we'll install the car seats between 30-34 weeks.  I don't think a month in advance is too early, especially if you're driving a long distance.

You just have to balance being prepared with knowing that you'll have to replace them if you get into a wreck.  What we'll likely do is install them with the bases, have them checked, and then keep the actual seats out of the car so we wouldn't have to replace those.
  • Options
    How far along are you? 24+5

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Yesterday, easy-peasy. Waiting on the glucose results now; they'll also check the blood to be sure I'm not anemic. 

Cravings? None. And you know what's weird? Overall my ravenous hunger has died off. Months 3, 4, 5, I couldn't eat enough, but now I think I'm back to normal pre-preggo eating levels. No aversions, no cravings, just eating the usual. 

Rants/Raves? Nah, I'm in a good place. The rave is that my registry is getting stuff bought off it, which is very exciting. 

Questions for FTM, STM+? Nothing else at the moment. 

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? Oh boy. I don't think I could ever name one book, but I do re-read all the Harry Potters, all the books by Jen Lancaster ("Bright Lights, Big Ass" being the funniest), and I re-read Emily Giffin's "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue" quite a bit. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @SarahBethBR thats a good idea!  I think that might be my plan then, the weekend before the shower, ill install the whole thing, get it checked and then take the seat out, but drive with it to Maine (a 4 hour drive) that weekend, and then remove it again until its time to go! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • Options
    How far along are you?
    Just over 21 weeks!

We had the a/s last monday and it went great!

Cravings?
    None this week. Not even Taco Bell

Rants/Raves?
    I'm in love with my latest maternity jeans from Target.
    Flare cut is harder to find, and they fit so well! A couple things if you're interested in them, at 5'6" these are the perfect length for me- I've been wearing them with both flats and wedge booties. Much taller and I think you'll be SOL with the length. Also, they run about a size large because I was a size 4/6 pre-preg and the XS fits me great. About every two weeks they go on some sort of sale.

Questions for FTM, STM+?
    For some reason, there aren't any weekend birth and baby classes available this spring or summer at my hospital. Right now the only ones offered are two hours long, a once a week night option that are for four weeks. Unfortunately, my husband's work schedule has him traveling once a month until the middle of July so he'd be unable to attend at least one of the four classes. Still worth taking even though I might be solo for one of them? I'd like him to have a little exposure to how to best support your partner through labor and birth.

THIS IS SO HARD.
    If I have to pick then the Harry Potter series.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Mango517 Is there any way that you could "make up" the class that DH might have to miss?   also yes to Harry Potter! 

IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    omg @littlebug2010 that is clearly the answer that I wasn't seeing! Thank you :) Duh. I swear I'm normally a good problem solver...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How far along are you? 24+4 

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Glucose yesterday, should get results today-hopefully good news. 

Cravings? Starting to be more on the healthy side. Fruit is huge in the afternoon. 

Rants/Raves? @DeansGirl14 my shower invites have not gone out, but it is being planned and the hosts/ a few people know they will be invited and about the registry-nothing has moved. Not even anything from my parents. This should not be a rant, but it is a little since when my sister had her DD, the second there was a registry family started buying. Even though her shower was just friends-and out of state. They sent it all when Baby was born. So I am a little jealous/nervous.

Questions for FTM, STM+? Did you burn more easily? We are going to AZ for a babymoon next month and it will be HOT so I want to be sure I don't burn. I know about different sunscreen-but I have heard you can burn a lot faster too.

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? The Night Circus is one of my favorites 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14 I got to meet Emily Giffin last summer. I went to a reading at a local book store last summer when First Comes Love came out. She is so nice! 
  • Options
    How far along are you? 25 weeks today

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Had a midwife appt on Friday. Asked about reducing swelling. Her suggestion was to go in a pool. I said we don't really have access to one. She said, well, swimming can really help. So that was (not) helpful. How are others helping with swelling? I keep forgetting to put my feet up.

Cravings? Food, so much food. I'm back on a hungry streak.

Rants/Raves? My hips are pretty uncomfortable. Going to PT weekly and have daily exercises, but the PT says they probably won't really get better until after birth plus several months because of the relaxing hormones. Anyone else dealing with this?

Questions for FTM, STM+? Yes, see above!

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? So hard to choose. I read so many books, I rarely read them twice. Might be Pride and Prejudice?
  • Options
    @Mango517 Im glad I helped!  Sometimes the easiest solution is the one you never see! 
    @smallbutmighty77 I have read that you can burn more easily.  I dont know that burning any more easily is possible for me (I can burn on a cloudy day), but I would say to be more diligent than usual with your application, and try to stay out of direct sunlight from about 10 to 3 (I know I know).  I followed those rules yesterday, and still burned on my neck line and on one hand (I forgot my hand  :|), but no where else, so that was a win for me! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    @emilyrose807 I've been wearing knee high compression socks for a few weeks now to minimize swelling in my feet and legs. Since I walk and stand all day at work, I'm only able to put my feet up before bed and it's much better with the socks
  • Options
    @emilyrose807 My hips seem to get out of whack pretty easily now, but I have found that stretching has really helped.  I was in a lot of pain around 18 weeks, and I started to stretch more regularly, and it seems to help. I also make sure that I have a pillow (my snoogle) between my legs at night, and at work, I have something supporting my back, and my feet go up for about 10 minutes every other hour or so.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 If you don't have one already, I'd recommend a great wide brim hat for your trip to help protect against the strong sun. I swear by this one on Amazon. I wear it alllll the time and it's gone all over with me. It's loads cheaper than anything else I've found, travels great because you can squash it, and does a bang up job with the sun protection.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Mango517 I just put a wide hat on my list! Great idea. The resort we are staying at has plenty of umbrellas etc, but we are planning on walking around downtown etc so a hat will help a ton.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    LSP87LSP87 member
    @Kathryn0903 It depends on a lot of things like whether you're high risk or not and whether they can get everything they need to measure at the 20 week A/S. Once they got everything they needed after my second scan around 22-24 weeks, I did not get any additional ultrasounds. I had headaches last time and I have them again this time. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and check blood pressure, especially if headaches come with any blurry vision or anything like that. I figured out mine was a combo of sinus issues as well as dehydration. I got some menthol and eucalyptus shower gel and steamed it up. Massage helped me as well as mine were also triggered by tension headaches.

@SarahBethBR I think that's another thing that depends on the baby. We did not use one, but we did use one of those CloudB turtle projection things and I think that's pretty similar. It was soothing for DS.

@littlebug2010 We installed the base about a month before baby was due.

@smallbutmighty77 I have heard of pregnant women burning more easily as well as developing dark spots after tanning but I did not experience that personally.

@emilyrose807 drinking more water can help, avoiding salt, stretching your legs when sitting. I have a little foot rest that keeps my feet a little elevated and at an angle at my desk and it's helped me. I avoid zipping my boots all the way up while I sit. Compression socks will be next for me if swelling continues.
  • Options
    LSP87LSP87 member
    @jacksonbears if you don't have to fast, just be careful what you eat for dinner the night before and breakfast the day of the test. More protein (eggs), less carbs (I dont think you have to avoid them completely) and less sugar.
  • Options
    @SarahBethBR I've had people say that a mobile can help put a baby to sleep because they concentrate on it and relax. We didn't have one anywhere and were fine. But DD did like to look at ceiling fans when they were on. 

@jacksonbears you may find the Gestational Diabetes thread helpful. Lots of discussion in there about the test and prep. A few of us have just now had the test. 

@littlebug2010  we installed our car seat base a little more than a month prior to my EDD with DD because we took it to a car seat check that happens only once a month. We didn't want to miss out on that so it was really our best option unless we wanted to cut it super close. I highly recommend going to a car seat check. Ours is at a local car dealership where the certified car seat techs come and tech you the proper installation. Your local fire department may be certified as well but ours aren't. Your hospital, birthing classes, or pediatrician's office may know where you can have a certified tech do the check. 

@Mango517 our classes were all week nights as well. I had to miss one due to traveling and like @littlebug2010 suggested, they had options to make up a missed class by attending a different night. 

@emilyrose807  as others have said, compression socks for leg/feet swelling. Also, there are small stretches you can do throughout the day to help Get better circulation to them. Google for those :). I'll also echo water intake. 
    Hip pain, I only get hip pain if I'm not using my Snoogle at night to sleep. So that may help. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    @SarahBethBR - I did some research on mobiles and ultimately decided to add them to my registry ($20 - more for stimilation than to be cute and match the nursery theme). Would love to hear what STMs think but as a FTM, these articles helped: https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/crib-toys-baby-sleep/
    This one is less to do with mobiles but interesting in general on baby's senses: https://www.parents.com/baby/development/physical/5-ways-to-stimulate-your-babys-senses/?slideId=50099

@smallbutmighty77 I just got back from our "babymoon" in Hawaii and I used a SPF 50 mineral sunscreen. It seems like the sunscreen was more easily rubbed off by the straps/edges of my bathing suit than the chemical sunscreen (which we shouldn't use during pregnancy). I also burned on my feet, hands, ankles, etc. which I normally don't. I am super fair with freckles so was (and am always) pretty insane about sunscreen. DH has olive skin and doesn't think he needs sunscreen and he still burned (which is rare for him) so I don't know if I was more sensitive or the sun was stronger, but I recommend being very vigilant with the sunscreen for your own comfort.

@smallbutmighty77 I bought our carseat and extra base for DH's car on an amazon flash sale so we checked it when it arrived. DH has a mustang - will be doing pick ups/drop offs from daycare but my SUV will be our "family outing" car. He has the base still in there from 4-6 weeks ago when we checked it since it was so annoying to get in (but it fit! Just wouldn't be comfortable for a second person if someone had to sit in the passenger seat). I agree with PPs - earlier than one month before is a good idea, especially because you should get it checked out at an inspection point and you don't want to cut it too close to your due date (it's less likely as a FTM I think but still possible to go into labor around 36 weeks or earlier).

How far along are you? 22+2

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? No appointments

Cravings? The usual: carbs + fruit, still not into meat

Rants/Raves? Rave: DH and I had a blast in Maui but 6 days was the perfect amount of time - we're both happy to be home and we did 4 of the 6 days at a resort so longer would've been a bit hit to the bank account. 
    Rant: I have a full blown cold now which just seems weird after spending a week in 80 degree heat and relaxing. Also, only sober one at the pool basically and I would forget that my sunglasses are on my hat and send them flying when I take it off. Looks like sunglass hut does free exchanges within 90 days (and it's only been 45 or so) but not sure what the deal is since they are slightly chipped with a small crack now. They also do a 50% cost to replace them after 90 days within a year. Either way I'll be thrilled to not have to pay full price.

Questions for FTM, STM+? None right not but I'm sure I'll think of something.

GTKY: What's your favorite book of all time? Pride and Prejudice. I've read it at least 20 times. Especially some of the sections that are the same in the movies/miniseries, I know verbatim.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @kvh22
    Yay for Maui! We did our babymoon in Kona, on the Big Island. I burned around my armpits and DH burned one side of his legs from our first day by the pool. Oops. We were very vigilant about sunscreen because we're both very fair skinned, but it still happened. The sun definitely felt stronger. It wasn't too hot by any means (low 80s) but the heat/sun combo definitely slowed us down and had us seeking beach umbrellas and shade trees.
    We only did four days and agree a short time was good for a bank account's sake, lol. Seems like when people go to Hawaii they go for at least a week or 10 days, no wonder everyone says that's an expensive place to go. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kvh22 Hawaii sun is stronger than the sun in the most of the US, its much closer to the equator.  So it would make sense that it was harder to keep yourself from getting burned, if you have fair skin. 

I went to Mexico with my family in 2011, and I couldn't keep up with the sun.  I have super fair skin and reddish hair, so I went through almost 4 bottles of sun screen, and still burned pretty badly.  Another huge part of it was that we were on the ocean, and the reflection from the sun on the water amplified everything.  
    IVF started Feb 2020