October 2016 Moms
Options

Leap 5

This is kind of late because most of us are probably already in the middle of it or towards the end.  Leap 5 usually occurs between weeks 22-27.  At the end of the Leap, LO may:

• Show interest in people who as differently
  • Show interest in labels, zippers, and stickers
  • Lift things up to see if something is under it
  • Tries to untie laces
  • Throws something to see its content
  • Puts food in mouth of others
  • Makes connections between words and deeds
  • Blows air
  • Protests when Mom or Dad walk away
  • Imitates sounds with their tongue
  • Standing up with help or pulling to an upward position

Re: Leap 5

• Options

Well, I'm getting towards the end of this Leap and while Storm's naps have greatly improved, her nights have gone to crap.  Just this weekend, she's decided she wants to stay up and play.  One night she woke up every hour after at 1 am, another she woke up at 12:30 am and decided she didn't want to go back to sleep until 2 am, then last night she woke up every hour after being put down until about 10 pm.  She's already doing most of the things above.  I actually feel like she was doing them before the leap.  Since last week she's been able to sit on her own but is still wobbly.  I could be wrong but I thought you saw the results of the leap after it is over.  So I'm wondering if there is something else that she's going to be able to do when its over that is messing with her sleep.

• Options

@Ladybug2821 sorry your LO is fighting sleep.  That's rough.  Does she have to be soothed to sleep each time she wakes up or is she just waking & talking to herself until she goes back down for the most part? Are daytime naps still a struggle?

I find these Leap things to be two sides of a coin.  It's nice to see what progress should look like but it's so easy to fall into the trap of "oh no! he's behind!"  I try really hard not to get too worked up about developmental things unless I notice something really wrong.  B does some of these things but doesn't seem to be interested in others.  He's not using consonants at all and doesn't try to share food.  He's not even really pinching food yet.  I feel like I'll make myself crazy if I set deadlines for him!

This is not to say I don't appreciate the share.  I like reading about this stuff. Keep 'em coming :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, I think leap 5 is super hit-or-miss too. You really can't lump all babes up in the same category. Johnny is crawling, but won't for the life of him sit up unassisted. He also is giving me nothing but trouble working on our solid food (so pinching and feeding others is completely out the window!), but the sounds he makes are already almost the equivalent of Jimmy's, and he's 20-months-old. They are only interested in doing what they are interested in doing at the time, no more, no less ;)

@Ladybug2821 Johnny's sleeping habits are starting to get a little unstable too. He hardly naps at all, but I MAKE the boys take a nap between 2-4 everyday for my sanity's sake, whether they want one or not. And he has started waking up and crying out in the middle of the night, but he usually soothes himself back to sleep without me having to intervene. I think it has something to do with them just having more energy and being more alert now, so I try to keep him stimulated throughout the day, which is fairly easy since he has a big brother to chase around all day too. Do you have a Johnny Jumper or anything like that? Making sure that they work themselves out and burn off extra energy is a big help in resolving sleep issues!
  • Options
    @Kgridley27 Her naps have actually improved a lot. Her nighttime sleep seems to be taking a hit on this one. Prior to this if she woke up after going down for the night and I knew she wasn't hungry, I would let her cry and she would put herself back to sleep. But recently her cries have been more intense and I've had to soothe her back to sleep. 

@AllyTheKid Oh this girl is a manic. We do have a bouncer and she jumps so hard I'm worried she's going to hurt herself. She is constantly moving, doesn't stay still. H also does a lot of "wrestling" and such with her so I know she's got to be tired. I'm sure it has to do with all the new things she learning and wanting to stay awake so she doesn't miss anything. But girl needs to sleep lol. 
  • Options
    V is hit or miss on these as well. Except "protests when Mommy or Daddy walk away". Shes perfected that one much to my dismay. 

@Ladybug2821 H "wrestling" with S made me LOL. Men sure  are something else. :D
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like these leaps really hit S hard. Her sleep has been horrible the past few days. Prior to this leap it would only take about 5 mins to get her asleep and she would wake 2 times at night. Now it's taking a long time to put her to sleep just like it did during leap 4 and she's waking up several times. This time she won't stop moving her legs. She is constantly moving them in a jumping or marching motion and is doing it while we are trying to put her to sleep and in her sleep which has been waking her up. Hopefully only 2 more weeks left of this leap and FX she goes back to sleeping like before or better. 
  • Options
    @ladybug2821 "This too shall pass" :)
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 V is also waking herself up with her legs. She lifts them up and down banging them on her mattress over and over making noises so loud I can hear her in the next room doing her "kicks"
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    From 28.5-30.5 weeks, LO may experience a period of fussy/irritable behavior. This isn't a leap but instead baby has discovered Mom/Dad can walk away and leave them behind. This is baby learning the skill of distance. 

I think S is going through this right now but I feel like she's already known I was able to walk away. I think she's already experienced separation anxiety for quite some time now. 
  • Options
    Johnny is just recently catching on to that and becoming clingy. They go through a regression around 24 months too which Jimmy has fallen into hard, so I have two needy-McNeedersons stuck to me like cling wrap. Mix in the Sibling jealousy and we have a shoving match.