May 2017 Moms
Options

Advice for transitioning to SAHM

Now that baby #2 is going to be arriving, my husband and I are strongly considering that I leave my full time job to stay at home for a couple years. Although the idea sounds exciting it makes me a little nervous. Is anyone else making this transition when their LO arrives? or anyone who made the transition already have any advice?

I'm questioning a lot of things... am I going to be resentful toward my husband because he will be out of the house while I am at home cooking, cleaning and raising children from sun up to sun down? how am I going to make sure that my toddler (almost 2) is learning enough and being socialized while I have a newborn? also, any tips on how to save money on things? I currently shop freely and like I've mentioned before, I have packages arriving daily! my lifestyle is definitely going to have to change... I know at the end of the day I will be so happy that I am able to enjoy this precious time with my little's but I know there is definitely going to be an adjustment period.

Re: Advice for transitioning to SAHM

• Options
    These are all great questions! The fact that you have thought about all of these things including your mental health is encouraging that you'll have no trouble making the transition if that's what you decide! I went back to work after my full Ca maternity leave while DH was applying to jobs/interviewing. So I returned to work at 5mo. pp and he was offered a job right around the time she turned 8mo. so at that point we switched back and I became a full time sahm. We also moved to a new city where we knew no one so luckily a few months in we made friends and had formed our own mommy group so we met up weekly which was a big help in keeping some sense of normalcy and not feeling trapped at home with baby. As far as not feeling resentment toward DH I'll admit there have been moments but that's more to do with me feeling like I don't get a break so it was extremely helpful if he would encourage me to even be able to run to a store by myself once a week or so even though I'd feel guilty it made a huge difference in feeling like a person. As far as having a toddler and a newborn I have no idea! (Worried about this too so I plan on using all the ladies here for advice!) And from the money saving standpoint I'm embarrassed to say I still struggle with that because I was in the boat of "buying whatever whenever" for years since I had my career and still haven't completely made the switch to thrifty! But I also know this time is precious so we make the sacrifices we need (no cable, a junky second car etc.) to ensure I can stay home with them and I know it's not forever and I'll likely be re-entering the workforce once this LO goes to school. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can't speak to a lot of what you asked because I'm not a SAHM, but my SIL is.  
    They have very clear distinctions of what each person should do and is responsible for.  This helps them not be (as) resentful towards one another because they have already pre-discussed and agreed upon what they expect/hope out of one another.  
    As for being stuck at home, she also does library classes or things at the local YMCA to help her older children socialize with other children. 
    As for saving money, I recently cut my cable last year, and I don't miss it one bit.  We have a Roku tv, and I pay for two streaming channels, and that is really all we need.  Saves us about $100 a month.  My SIL started an Etsy shop to help her with extra money (which then spurred me to start an Etsy shop of my own for my own extra money lol) but she also helps out and watches other children during the day.  If you know of anyone local who needs day care for a few hours a day or so, that could be a benefit to you.
  • Options
    I'm also transitioning to SAHM when this baby is born so I'm following! 

I haven't done it long, long term, but I stayed home for the first 7 months of DS's life and it was rough. I definitely echo what other people say about getting a schedule going. I didn't really know what I was getting into and didn't realize how much I would need routine and reasons to get out of the house. I ended up finding some mom groups and scheduled activities and once I did that it got much, much easier. 
  • Options
    Yes, thank you for starting this thread! I'm not planning on going to work after maternity leave either. As the primary income for our family, it's a little scary... both financially and knowing what a difficult transition it can be emotionally. I do feel better knowing there will be a few of us in this boat! 

I will probably only be home for about a year, but we are definitely flexible to see how it goes and how much we are dipping into our savings. Any current SAHMs leave a long term career? I've been with my company for 15 years, so I'm a little worried about losing my "identity" that I've had for so long even though I couldn't be more thrilled to get more time with my kiddos. 
  • Options
    Thank you for starting this thread @lrwardrop. I'll be transitioning to mostly SAHM (I'll work every other weekend, or 4 days a month). I think my hardest hurdle is not being independent with money. But I think as long as your husband knows it's an adjustment, there may be better weeks/months than others, and that you still need a little play money, it can be a partnership. I'm all about the mommy groups and getting out, but I think that can be harder to accomplish depending on where you live. My tactic I'm telling myself is not be afraid to leave the house with a newborn-- whether it's to run an errand, meet up with a friend, or go on a stroller stride.

Good luck! Thank you to everyone who is giving great advice!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for some great advice. @livin541 I don't necessarily have a long term career but I have worked my way up and it does worry me thinking about returning to work and having to start over.
  • Options
    You ladies bring up a lot of good points, especially about communicating with your partner and making sure we both know who is responsible for what. During my maternity leave were going to see how things go and then decide whether or not I'll return. I have to give a 30 day notice so I'll have a few weeks to see how it's going. 
  • Options
    I just remembered that if your interested in joining a group Stroller Strides is pretty much everywhere I think! Women get together and basically work out using their babies/strollers. That's a great way to
    meet friends with kids and get out of the house and exercise! Woo! I've never done it but I have a friend that does it and loves it.
  • Options
    @lrwardrop - That's basically what we did, too. I was on the fence about going back after my first baby, but I wanted to give it a shot. It took about a month to make up my mind!
  • Options
    Haha @starphish18 haha no, I think they are moderate in their exercise though. Women of all sizes/experiences are in the groups though! Where I took DD to gymnastics a group met there at the same time. They seem to have fun. I'm pretty sure the first class is free. If you google you can find their website (I think it's fit4mom?) put in your zip code and see if they are near you.
  • Options
    @bacorrea I'm sorta part of that stroller strides. Sorta as in I have gone to their extra curricular events but have never made it/wanted to go to a workout session. They have them every week usually multiple times a week and after some classes do fun activities with the kids. I plan on going and checking it out after 8-12 weeks pp just to see. The women are all really nice and some have infants and others have kids in middle school so it's just a bunch of women getting together working out and I know some go for coffee or tea afterwards. I have gone to their Christmas party and their book club (never read the book) but it's nice to get out and they are a great resource. 
  • Options
    Stroller strides was such a lifesaver for me! I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to get a little exercise in but mostly meet other moms.
  • Options
    Any advice on the transition the first few weeks? Specifically around cleaning, is not having time? DH loves a clean house, as do I, but I'm realistic that it'll be hard to maintain. Suggestions?
  • Options
    @jayandaplus FTM so not much help, but my plan is to see how it goes the first few weeks with DH home and if after awhile we just can't handle it we will hire someone until we can handle it again. 
  • Options
    Any advice on the transition the first few weeks? Specifically around cleaning, is not having time? DH loves a clean house, as do I, but I'm realistic that it'll be hard to maintain. Suggestions?
    I have set days for specific things so that I don't get overwhelmed. 
    Vacuuming- Monday 
    Mopping- Tuesday 
    Laundry- Friday's 
    Bathrooms- Saturday's (DH helps) 

And then throughout the week i just make sure that the little things are picked up at the end of each day. My kids know that clean-up time happens before we settle down for the night. I can't stand waking up to a messy house, and it's easier for me to keep on my cleaning schedule if I don't have to worry about picking up a huge mess before I can run the vacuum or mop. 

I have also never been the type that "naps when baby naps". But that's just me. So when it's nap time, I'm getting stuff done. My kids can sleep through the vacuum no problem. Are there days when I just completely say "heck no"? Of course! DH knows he has to step up with the cleaning when baby is first home because realistically I need to rest! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    the first few weeks I did most of my housework while baby wearing 
  • Options
    lrwardrop said:
    the first few weeks I did most of my housework while baby wearing 
    100% this! And cooking dinner. Babywearing for the win! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    hp_momma said:
    I have set days for specific things so that I don't get overwhelmed. 
    Vacuuming- Monday 
    Mopping- Tuesday 
    Laundry- Friday's 
    Bathrooms- Saturday's (DH helps) 
    Your list puts us to shame. I mop like once a year.
    My mopping is a quick run of the steam mop, and our entire house is hardwood floors, so really I have do more mopping than vacuuming. And let's be honest, 90% of the time mopping is on my "heck no not today!" list. And the upstairs gets mopped like never... 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    @jayandaplus
    I'm just very play it by ear but have DH know to keep his expectations very low. Some moms bounce back very quickly, some need more time. I personally took awhile to recover plus I had no routine and did not know how to go about getting one established. DH was super great and helpful at maintaining the cleanliness of the apartment after work and on weekends, plus would grocery shop on his eay home. It aldo helped that his job allowed him a lot of flexibility in working from home during the mornings.  His job situation has changed since though but I know that having a established routine with DD already will help force me to get into the swing of things.

• Options
    @hp_momma We really should mop more. We have all hardwood, too. It just gets dingy looking so quickly that it's basically the norm. I should look into a steam mop, I bet I'd do it more often then. It does help a little bit that our dog has learned she has to stop at the door when she comes inside so we can wipe off her feet.
  • Options
    @starphish18 @hp_momma just a small plug for my favorite household item that is the Bissell Symphony. It's a combo steam mop and has a little vaccuum in front similar to the swiffer vac which is great for dust and little crumbs etc that collect on our laminate. 
    Bissell 1132A Symphony All-in-One Vacuum and Steam Mop (4 Mop Pads Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KR5UJN6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mzM-ybR43JFH9
  • Options
    My cleaning definitely slows down after birth and DH has to pick up more of it and even then things don't get cleaned up as often as before baby. I've learned to relax about it. It's a temporary thing until we adjust to our new life with baby and it will eventually get picked up again.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 What?! How have I not heard about this vacuum/mop combo. Adding it to my
    Amazon list... 

Our floors get SO dirty from all the rain/mud we track in and since I have two littles who are still playing on the floor often, I feel like I have to keep it more clean. Especially when I start to see the "dirt marks" on their leggings :neutral:
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    I used to vacuum every other day but now I rely on Cindy our Roomba. Lately because we had our floors refinished and you can see all the dog slober I'm tempted to ask DH for a Scooba and then have them go alternate days... yes I'm that lazy.