September 2017 Moms
Options

Unwanted Belly Touches and How to Handle

Just curious to know how you ladies respond to the ever dreaded unwanted physical touch that comes with being pregnant. Any favorite phrases to use that work to get people to leave you alone? It's almost as if all rules about etiquette and not touching people without their permission are thrown out the window when pregnancy is involved. 

How do you respond to a complete stranger that feels entitled to touch you even though they do not know you? 

What about people you are acquainted with that you see frequently or even family members? 

Re: Unwanted Belly Touches and How to Handle

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lots of good stuff here. :) 

I find it easy to ward off strangers. 

I personally don't want to be touched by anyone on the stomach unless it is SO or DD. (I don't really like being touched in general and I hate hugs unless it's from them lol.) 
  • Options
    Lots of good stuff here. :) 

I find it easy to ward off strangers. 

I personally don't want to be touched by anyone on the stomach unless it is SO or DD. (I don't really like being touched in general and I hate hugs unless it's from them lol.) 
    I think telling family no would be harder. Maybe just be very vocal about not wanting to be touched by ANYONE. Maybe that would be like a preemptive strick. 

• Options
    I don't mind family touching my belly when I'm farther along to feel kicks and stuff, but no one has even asked yet. We aren't touchy freely anyways. I don't mind close friends either. I never had a stranger feel my belly when I was pregnant with DS either. I have RBF as well haha. 
    I did have complete strangers ask to touch my DS as a newborn and I would look at them and say No. That I was more protective about. 
  • Options
    @wyomama0427 I too have a very unapproachable face, no one ever touched my belly without asking first, I have never had problems with people asking me things/trying to make small talk/or trying to sell me something because I always look like such a snob, I swear I'm not I just cannot control the face!
  • Options
    Hahaha some of these answers  <3<3 

I didn't really have that happen many times, I also have pretty bad resting bitch face. The few times people tried, I just stepped back before they could touch me and they got the message.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The time I wish I could gif. Ugh. But these suggestions are great! I've only had one stranger try to touch my belly and I basically stepped back and did a Heisman arm. It was awkward. I had a student with special needs who loved touching my belly all the time, but that was different and I let her. Otherwise, my two best friends are the only ones who go for the belly, and I don't mind them. Lol
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    I really really hate to be touched and like my own personal space. I've found that strangers really aren't the problem, it's people that you know really well or people that you HAVE known and they come out of the wood works when they find out you're pregnant and act like you're bff's and touch all up on you. If I see someone reaching for me I usually just say "oh, I'm so sorry, I just really hate to be touched." 
    i have had people literally reach around me from behind or go for it while I'm mid convo with someone and I grab them by the wrist and put their hand by their side and say no thank you... 
  • Options
    I like to remind people that there is a good chance they are touching my intestines instead of the baby. A woman at my mom's work was the major unexpected toucher, at 14 weeks! I told her she was going to have to put her hand embarrassingly low to feel the baby. Unfortunately there are the stealth touchers: random strangers who come up behind you or from the side where you can't see them and usually they are old ladies.
  • Options
    I have this problem but with extended family. I also get irritated when people bend over and talk to my stomach. I find it uncomfortable. When I voice how uncomfortable it makes me I was told to stop being so hormonal I was overreacting. I have also been advised it's not about me it's th baby... I've said something several times and my requests have gone completely ignored. 
  • Options
    It really depends on who it is.  I'm much more likely to not be cranky about it if someone asks first, though.  I love seeing close friends get excited about the baby, but if it is just some rando on the street it's a whole different story.  Also, when it's a close family member (my mother is super guilty of this) and they start getting excessively grabby, I tell them politely to back off.  If that doesn't work, I tell them not so politely.  I actually started backing up from my mom towards the end of my pregnancy with DS, bc she kept ignoring me.  She finally got it, although her feelings were hurt.  
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I hate when people touch me. SIL touched my belly yesterday and said, "Yay! You finally look pregnant." I'm pretty sure I glared at her. No one else tried it and she didn't try it again. It's possible DH told her to back off when I was out of ear shot. Basically, the only people I want to touch my belly are DH and medical professionals. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    No one has touched me yet except family and I don't really mind that. I'm planning on doing the belly rub back if someone does touch me, or just step back if I anticipate. I've already thought up some savage come backs for the, "OMG you're getting so big" lines. "OMG so are you!" is my favorite. Or a polite, "Thanks, you too" is my back up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Only family has touched my belly so far and they've all asked me if it was ok first, except for my mom who knows I wouldn't mind at all. I honestly don't know what I'd do if a stranger touched me, I feel like fight or flight would kick in and it's a total toss up on which would win. 

Me & DH: 31  |  Married: 5.4.13  |  TTC: April 2016  |  BFP: 1.8.17  |  EDD: 9.13.17

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    DPandMB said:
    I have this problem but with extended family. I also get irritated when people bend over and talk to my stomach. I find it uncomfortable. When I voice how uncomfortable it makes me I was told to stop being so hormonal I was overreacting. I have also been advised it's not about me it's th baby... I've said something several times and my requests have gone completely ignored. 
    I hte when people tell me to stop being hormonal or that I am acting a certain way because I'm pregnant. It so irritating and seems like a lame excuse. 
    That's such a low blow and some serious bull shit on their part. They need to respect you and your personal boundaries. You are not a fucking baby vessel. You're a person, too! 
  • Options
    Also, in Texas offensive touching is considered assault. It's a class C misdemeanor. I actually used to prosecute it. Mostly, you would see these cases when someone grabbed boobs or butts, but I did see a case or two where someone was charged with touching someone else after being told not to. I might bring this up to people who touch me without permission. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    Also, in Texas offensive touching is considered assault. It's a class C misdemeanor. I actually used to prosecute it. Mostly, you would see these cases when someone grabbed boobs or butts, but I did see a case or two where someone was charged with touching someone else after being told not to. I might bring this up to people who touch me without permission. 

That would be amazing. Could you hand them your business card too.

• Options
    DPandMB said:

That would be amazing. Could you hand them your business card too.
    Yaasssssss :joy:
  • Options
    Honestly, it didn't happen much to me last pregnancy- I mean people touched my belly but usually it was older lady coworkers or family/friends so it was kinda NBD. Usually I can tell when someone is going to reach out for a touch so I would just back away enough to not make a deal about it but still get the point across that you don't wish to be fondled.  More often than not I noticed people just noticing my belly- I got a lot of extra smiles and random conversations of "congrats, when are you due?"  I think the sight of a pregnant woman just makes people feel happy and comfortable approaching you because we  come off as  naturally "less threatening"
  • Options
    i have a severe resting bitch face, and i may actually be one when provoked. so i really feel bad for the individual who tries this with me. I'm a person who is very aware of my own personal space and does not like it to be intruded upon without warning (DH gets pure joy out of this). 
  • Options
    I am one of those people that doesn't like to be touched, and I have never, ever in my life felt the urge to touch a pregnant woman's belly. I can't understand wanting to touch a person's belly, so it especially creeps me out thinking people might do this to me. My SIL is the only one that has done it so far, and it didn't bother me too much, but I didn't like it. I am going to start practicing my RBF, lol!!

Regarding people telling you to not be so hormonal....1) Does anyone actually have a choice on how their hormones affect them? And 2) I honestly don't think I'm any more crazy than I was pre-pregnant, lol!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• Options
    Wish I could love this 100x
  • Options
    @ohheyitskristine TWICE? Wow that lady overstepped by a mile. I'd be livid! If she's hurt, too f'ing bad. Good for you for putting her in her place.

Only one person other than DH and DS has touched me and it was my aunt so I didn't care. I also suffer/am blessed with resting bitch face so maybe that helps!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @ohheyitskristine um WHAT? You're saying after you took her hand off one time she put it BACK ON? Wtf?!?!? That's insane!!! 
  • Options
    @ohheyitskristine language barrier or not, when someone has to physically remove your hand from their body, you shouldn't put it back... that's just crazy!