September 2017 Moms
Options

VBAC check in 4/15

lilpootslilpoots member
edited April 2017 in September 2017 Moms
Some of you have already reached the half way mark, so let's try and get this thread back up and running for vbac hopefuls and those still considering.

1. How far along are you?

2. How have you been feeling?

3. Is this your first attempt at a vbac, have you had a previous vbac attempt or success?

4. Where will you be having your baby/babies? Ex: hospital, birthing center, home

5. Any struggles or accomplishments you want to share this week?

GTKY: Where/what is your dream vacation?

Re: VBAC check in 4/15

• Options
    Bumping this up for ladies to see!! I know we have interest in here!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    I won't be getting my vbac or I would totally play! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi!

I'm 17+6 with DS2. DS1 was a traumatic csection following 28 hours of a pretty unnessecary, failed induction. Looking back, I definitely would have intervened in the choices more that were made for me, and I feel a lot more empowered and educated this time. 

I'm feeling pretty good, a little frustrated about not feeling much movement due to anterior placenta. 

I'll be having the baby in a hospital, with a very pro VBAC OBGYN that's known for a very high success rate and is very sought after in my area. (Seattle)

not any real successes or struggles, I am really happy to still have not gained any weight though, since I'm plus size. Hoping to keep weight gain to a minimum!

I went on one of my dream vacations to Ireland last year, and it was even better than I expected! I would say for sure my *dream* vacation would be to the Maldives or Tahiti. 
  • Options
    @angeladowns1 Can you put to words what choices you would intervene in next time? What you think could help you have a successful vaginal birth? I have to be induced and I'm afraid to death of it failing afraid being forced into a csection.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @angeladowns1 Can you put to words what choices you would intervene in next time? What you think could help you have a successful vaginal birth? I have to be induced and I'm afraid to death of it failing afraid being forced into a csection.
    I would like to know this, too. I want to avoid a c section if at all possible, and I've heard several people say they would have "done more" to prevent it. As a FTM, I have no idea what to expect, what choices I'll have... anything.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I can't speak for her but in my induction experience, don't let them break your water until you're (personally) ready. You'll get 24 hours after it's broken to have the baby vaginally or get forced to have a c section. Stressing out does not help with progressing and pitocin sucks, sometimes it's easier to get the epidural to relax and progress than to be tense and nervous about the process. You can also ask for a slow induction with cervix softening medicines (sometimes multiple rounds), then pitocin, then water breaking, then more pitocin, just breaking the process into every little step. A positive mindset can really help too- your body is made to deliver a baby, science is just speeding the process along.
  • Options
    Boy, this is gonna be long, sorry in advance!

@Sugargirl1019 this first section won't be of much help to you, as you're already set for induction, so if you want to skip the first huge paragraph go for it! Haha.

For starters, I knew my OBGYN was going on vacation the week of my due date, so I went along with an induction more easily than I should have. I was at my 39 week appointment and my blood pressure was *slightly* elevated. I was nervous for the appointment and hated having cervical checks, so that's probably why. My doctor at the time was basically like "well your basically to your due date, and I want to be the one to deliver you so we might as well be cautious and start induction today because it could be preclampsia!" I hadn't heard many bad things or done a lot of research about induction, so I was more excited and nervous than anything, and agreed to begin the process. 

They started with cervical softening medication called cervadil to hopefully make my cervix "favorable" and ideally dialate me to a 4. I had been walking around at a 2-3 for about two weeks. After an hour or so of the first dose, I began feeling crampy and walked a bunch of laps around the hospital hoping to get things going. After four hours they checked me and nothing had changed. Also, importantly, my blood pressure was normal. They then decided to do another round. My mom at this time was like "is this really necessary, why exactly are we inducing if the concern was her blood pressure and it's normal?" And I STUPIDLY was like "mom I'm sure the doctors know better than you shuddup" basically. I wish I would have listened to her.

4 hours after the second round of cervidil (8 hours into induction process) I had dialated to a 3, which was in their minds not enough progress and it was time to start with more "aggressive measures". At this point it was around 11pm, and I was pretty tired. They pushed me at this point to insert a foley bulb catheter despite my (probably wimpy) attempt to ask to sleep and resume in the morning. They basically compromised with me that they could insert it, and let me sleep with it in as it dialated me in my sleep, ideally.
    The foley bulb was absolute misery. It took them way longer than it should have to insert it, and when they blew it up (which was excruciating, basically forcing the cervix to open) it immediately slipped out. Cue my first meltdown. It did dialate me to a 4, but trust me, it wasn't worth it. I went to the bathroom and had a freak out session. They wouldn't leave me alone, they insisted that they needed to break my water and start Pitocin. I don't think there was any reason besides the amount of time already spent to do this.

I tried to beg them to let me sleep and break my water in the morning. They insisted that it was "dangerous" to just let me sleep without trying to force the baby out, and I would lose total active labor time basically because I had a higher risk of infection since I'd had my cervix checked 3-4 times at this point. 

Cue 2nd meltdown. I spent about 15 minutes crying in the bathroom before coming out and basically surrendering. I was so, so tired and they basically told me I wouldn't sleep until the baby was here, and that could be another 24 hours. I didn't know how I was going to make it, and I already felt so defeated.

So, they broke my water and started pitocin. In the span of the next 12 hours or so, they kept cranking it up and checking every 3-4 hours. I didn't progress at all for another 6 hours. At that point, they suggested an epidural to help me relax in hopes that would help with dialation. The epidural was amazing. I was able to sleep for a few hours, and woke up at a 7! The first progress in 12 hours. Then, I stayed there. After different positioning techniques, and having "the strongest contractions possible" for another couple hours they decided to do an ultrasound to see what was up. Turns out, the pitocin forced him down into the canal so quickly that he actually went down diagonally and his head was lodged into the side of my pelvis. 

So, he wasn't going to come out. 

Cue 3rd meltdown. 

The the next hour or so was a total blur of going to the OR, chills, immense discomfort and pressure and pain, my epidural failing halfway through and feeling everything the last half of the procedure. I was lucky to be able to see him as soon as he was born and soon after have skin to skin, but it was seriously awful. Feeling your guts be outside of your body is the worst thing I've ever felt, besides them sewing layers of me up with no pain relief. 

So that's my story. This time around, my doctor has me taking baby aspirin to hopefully avoid any blood pressure complications, and is dead set against inducing me unless I'm two weeks overdue or there's some other serious medical reason. I will not do a Foley catheter again and will avoid pitocin at all costs. This OB is also very pro water labor, and has a small, wireless monitoring system allowing me to labor in any position essentially vs having basically no mobility last time. I was hooked up to multiple machines for my entire labor. I basically just want as little intervention as possible. 

I'm really hoping I get the birth I have in my mind, but I know things don't always go to plan, either. I hope that was helpful for you ladies!
  • Options

I am 16w+2. Had my DS by scheduled csection due to complete placenta previa. Although scheduled, my csection was rife with complications. I am at increased risk of previa again, because of first previa, csection and AMA.

I've been feeling very positive recently, because this pregnancy has been incredibly different from my first. It helps that my OB and MFM have been super positive as well. I do know, that ultimately, I'm going to have to face my fears head on before this baby comes.

This will be my first attempt at a vbac. My OB has been supportive of a vbac since my 6 week post partum follow up. I still want to utilize a doula this time to give me additional support.

I will be in the same facility as last time. A hospital with a L&D wing. They specialize in pediatrics and have a NICU. One of the oddly comforting aspects is the two delivery ORs in the center of L&D, making it possible for the doctors to wait until the last possible minute to operate.

I want to see the Galapagos and when I'm retired I want to go to Africa.
  • Options
    @angeladowns1 thank you so much for being willing to share your birth story and experience. I am very happy for you that your current OB is pro vbac and not into unnecessary intervention. All of the options you are being given to assist with a vaginal birth are wonderful. It frustrates me to no end that drs induce to make babies come out on their personal time line. Again, thank you for sharing and participating in this thread. 
  • Options
    @angeladowns1 Thank you for retelling your experience. That is exactly what I don't want to happen! I'm nervous about being induced at 37 weeks when.my OB originally said she wouldn't intervene. I wish I could labor in a tub for comfort and all the cool stuff. :(

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @angeladowns1  That entire experience sounds terrible... it makes me angry that they (seemingly) took advantage of you trusting their judgement. I hope everything goes better for you this time. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019 can I ask why they want to induce you? Especially so early?

You're welcome everyone! If I can empower anyone even a little bit to stand up for themselves and not be afraid to be in control of their labor, that's worth writing a novel for! Haha. 
  • Options
    @angeladowns1 I'm a Type 1 and we are at higher risk for stillborn the closer to 40 weeks we get.. plus insulin resistance at the end.. but I'm like, why are we planning already without seeing how my pregnancy goes??

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019 yeah for sure... like I understand close monitoring and being extra careful, but early induction carries risks too. My sister in law is type 1 and had all 3 of her babies around 40 weeks, none of them were induced or had any complications. I don't mean to pry or add to your stress, but I might consider a second opinion if it were me. If you feel good about it though don't listen to me! Haha.
  • Options
    I never got to experience any aspect of a vaginal birth with my mandatory scheduled csection. I am not confident of my abilities to judge when my doctor is being honest about my risks or being overly risk adverse, especially while in labor. I trust my preferred OB, but she shares her practice with three other doctors and there is a high chance I could end up with any of them or even the hospital's on call. This is my reason for wanting to hire a doula. An advocate. 
  • Options
    @lilpoots I was in the same boat. My first was a scheduled c-section she was breach. I had a successful VBAC with my second. My second also has a heart condition so we needed to be mindful of that as well. At the end of the day my number one priority was healthy baby/mom. My advice would be to start communicating with your doctor now. Find out how much intervention they are willing to do. For me there really was not much they were willing to do as far as induction because of my past c-section history. She new I wanted a VBAC and was very supportive. If you have any questions happy to help address.