September 2017 Moms

Swelling.

bassoondiva bassoondiva member
edited April 2017 in September 2017 Moms
So my hands and feet are swelling a little.  It's not surprising cause I sit at a desk all day.  Any mommas have a remedy? Should I just lay with them propped up?

Re: Swelling.

• Unfortunately swelling extremities is just a normal by product of pregnancy. I recall a thread on this BMB a couple months ago where a lot of women discussed buy replacement rings because their hands got too fat for their originals. Same happens with shoes. The best solutions are the same things you would do for swelling normally - don't sit/lay too long (try get up more frequently to walk around, or at least stand, during the day), put your feet up, drink lots of water, avoid salt etc. Also, be sure to sleep on your left side - it helps keep your kidneys healthy.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @Lizlann thanks so much!  I do need to make sure I get up and walk around more instead of sitting at my desk.  I've already trading my wedding set for a silicon band and am already sporting my Birkenstock sandals! Lol. Thanks again!!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • What LizIann said. You can also try wearing the diabetic socks that are supposed to help with swelling.
  • @bassoondiva I noticed swelling today too! I bent down to pick something up and was like "holy cow where's my ankle bone?!?" I have kankles!!
    April Siggy Challenge--Creepy Easter Bunny

• I'm already swelling too :( I swelled so much with my first. Ugh. I have no remedies, but I would get up and walk around work and come home and put my feet up as much as I could. I'm sorry. I ended up just wearing one wedding band until several weeks after delivery. 
  • I swelled insanely with my first.. hands were bad enough, but below my knees were unrecognizable. Haha it was almost funny to see. But not comfy. I'm almost 17 weeks and my doctor suggested at this point to start putting my feet up for at least 30-45 min a day. And lots of water helps. 
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Everything @Lizlann said. I swelled so much with DS and started in my hands this time around week 7. Water is about the only that helps for me. 

• I wear TCS compression socks at work, and they come in super cute prints! They are medical grade, so they are a bit pricey. But totally worth it imo. The pattens are amazing!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Ladies. Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought about water being an issue or that compression socks could help!
  • I can't wait for when I can share pictures again, I've got a GNARLY photo of how big I swelled up in the hospital after DS. DH had to rub my feet and legs every day, my skin felt like it was going to burst.
  • When I super swollen with dd1 I found it lessened (not disappeared unfortunately) when I would drink at least 100 oz of water a day. It was a lot but it did help. At the hospital post partum I was so swollen I couldn't even get Crocks two sizes too big on. Honestly that was worse than any prenatal swelling I ever, ever had. 
  • I feel like in the past few hours my feet and hands have gotten so swollen, they never got swollen with my 1st pregnancy, so it makes me kind of nervous them swelling so quickly. My PGAL brain has me worried ababout preeclampsia, so I went to Kroger to check my blood pressure, 111/74, which isn't preeclampsia high, but high for me, I've always had really low blood pressure. I'm going to call my doctor on Monday if the swelling doesn't go down some. Unfortunately state testing starts for us on Monday, which means I have several days of nonstop walking and not being allowed to sit down for hours and hours a day.
  • I know some swelling is normal in pregnancy, but my PGAL brain has no chill. 
  • @heatherwilson321 I'm in the same boat! I just started having ankle swelling the past couple days. It goes down overnight at least, but it scares me too!! I have an appointment Thursday so I was going to bring it up to her then. I'm a nurse and having my coworkers check my blood pressure. It's been fine so I'm trying to chill out! Anxiety is going to make it skyrocket!! Try to drink lots of water and limit salty foods 
    April Siggy Challenge--Creepy Easter Bunny

• @LaceyC1020 Thanks, my next appointment isn't until the first week of May, so I'm going to go ahead and call to speak to a nurse, just to see if they think it seems concerning or not. I'm probably going to keep checking my blood pressure each time I go somewhere with a machine too from here on out, just to make sure.
  • I had preeclampsia my first pregnancy, so naturally I had a HORRIBLY hard time with swelling. 

Theres this stuff called Magnesium Calm and it is a LIFE saver. We have Sprouts stores and they carry it, but I'm sure a natural food store would have it too. It helps with swelling, bowels, preventing depression and anxiety, headaches, hydration, pain, inability to sleep, and general inflammation. It literally got rid of my asthma. I've walked around with 2 inhalers my whole life and after drinking a glass a day during my first pregnancy, I've only had to use my inhaler once in 3 years. Amazing.