November 2017 Moms

Re: UO Thursday 4/13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My UO on the baby clothes topic is that I don't like matching outfits for twins, but I'm sure family and friends will end up giving us matching stuff.  I'll just have them wear it on alternate days!   

• Options
    I'm glad we have majority of the stuff we bought (new) for DS still, and am happy there are only a couple of things that have since come out (like the dock a tot) to buy. I can't wait to find out the sex because if it's a girl I get to purge ALL - well, most - of DS's clothes and make a little money selling them to then buy all the gorgeous girly clothes! :love:
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

I'm getting new stuff since I sold all of my old stuff when my ex told me there was no chance we were having more kids.  I still have a crib, but that's about it.  However, this being my second time and SO's third, we know what we won't need.  I don't even think I'm getting a big, fancy stroller.  I already bought a Mei Tai and I still have an umbrella stroller for when LO gets a bit bigger.

I guess my UO is that I think the Easter bunny is creepy and we don't pretend it's real.  He knows I make his Easter basket.  I also think Peeps are the worst things ever created.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I had to run over and check out Dec BMB and I'm a little surprised by that sentiment too.  I don't think we will do anything more than dinner and cut a gender reveal cake for our parents and siblings, but I have no issue with anyone who wants to have a party.  I know it's hard and I'm certain not perfect about this, but I try to go by the "live and let live" motto.....as long as you are not hurting anyone, you do you!  I've never heard of gifts at a gender reveal though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mariposa_767s The Easter Bunny is very creepy. 

If you're up for a laugh about someone explaining Easter and the Easter Bunny with limited vocabulary, listen to David Sedaris' Jesus Shaves https://youtu.be/8n5CkoRx_CI

• Options
    @MissMonroe11 agreed. I think it's fair to find gender reveals are corny because they definitely can be, but if people like it then whatever! Some of the sample invites I looked at had registry info on them and I thought that was dumb. If you're having a reveal at your shower then fine, have gifts, but if you're having both then don't do it!

@MississippiCatfish I'm really glad we don't have the kind of BMB where people say "your bloat is gross" on HDBD but rather "you look so cute!".

I also think the Easter Bunny is creepy but I never grew up celebrating it. I still get really upset seeing pictures of terrified children screaming their heads off with the Easter Bunny. I know I'm not supposed to judge parenting, I just don't get the appeal of scaring your kid like that for the sake of a picture. I'm also very pro if my kids say no about going near that person/them being hugged/touched, then that's what goes. Their bodies, they get to decide.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge it was such a weird dynamic. Like, why do you care????
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    2Dash2Dash member
    Ha ha  ... I also hate those huge dressed up Easter Bunnies but guess who loves them.....my boys ?!?!?!?  I have no idea why?  We went to a  mall on the weekend because DH needed to get his hair cut( he likes the barber there).  Well we walk in and right in front of us is this creepy huge Easter Bunny that you can get your picture with.  Just as I'm about to say "no way" I look down and they are both smiling ear to ear and jumping up and down.  So... they got their picture with the Easter Bunny!  And it's actually a really cute picture of them because they both look thrilled.  Kids are funny.  I would have hated that as a kid but my kids love it.  I figure next year my oldest (5 now) won't be interested so may as well let them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used to think gender reveal parties were silly, and now I'm considering having one! I guess I just thought to myself, if I were invited to a gender reveal party, I would be excited and enjoy myself. I certainly will not want gifts, though. 

@MississippiCatfish My last BMB had a whole debate about HDBD before 2nd tri as well...people got pretty snarky about it. I'm relieved that this BMB is so nice and accepting toward everyone. I'm not against the snark, it can be pretty funny sometimes, but it's nice to know I won't get flamed by 50 people over something small. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @2Dash I think it's great when the kids love it and want the pictures! Just the terrified ones I don't understand haha

@emucoleman agreed, I would enjoy being invited to a gender reveal! Sometimes snark is deserved but not when it's about other womens bodies, IMO.

• Options
    @TallMomma29 I had a lot of opinions about that but I decided they might get me in trouble.

I get irrationally angry when I see ads of people eating food and they close their eyes and half smile and are like "MMMM!!!!". You're being corny AF and weirding me out, stop it.

• Options
    I think gender reveal parties are cute! We haven't had a "party" per se for any of our gender reveals. But for DS3 we had a little celebration during our Easter dinner with our family last year! And filled plastic eggs with jelly beans that explained the gender in a cute way. Not sure how or when we'll announce the gender this time around! 

I havent shown off my blump yet, but I think it's totally fine for others to! You do you! 

My UO is that I think buying extra baby gadgets is unnecessary. I don't plan on buying a fetal doppler, or a monitor with a video camera, or a bottle sterilizer, or a corny diaper bag. I just think there are a lot of unnecessary items forced onto parents (especilly FTM's). 
  • Options

I was worried you guys would be mean, pretentious moms that had nothing better to do than judge other moms.  OMG I am soooooo glad that isn't the case.  I like you guys and I'm sure their will be bumps (pun intended) along the way, as there always are, but I'm glad you guys are normal.  It's nice knowing we may not all agree about the same things, but aren't automatically mean about it.

I also never knew there was a "thing" with bumps before 12 weeks.  I know I'm wayyyy bloated, but I'm sure not trying to post a picture of it.  My ex's fiancé started taking pictures at 6 weeks.  I honestly thought that was too early, but it was whatever. Lol

• Options
    I haven't posted in HDBD yet and won't until I have an actual bump. But the way I look at it is this...the pregnant-looking tummy IS being caused by pregnancy (usually), even if it's not the baby you're "seeing" when you see the belly. And it's exciting to look pregnant when you are pregnant, especially for FTMs. 

@TallMomma29 Oh my gosh, the gender thing. Some people would get seriously nuts about it. I mean, I understand the reasoning, but is that word seriously the most offensive thing they can think of? 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cmessamore Totally agree on the baby gadgets. We repurposed a laptop bag for a diaper bag, got an audio only monitor (mostly b/c sound doesn't travel well to all parts of my 2 story house), used a dishwasher for cleaning, and bought a bunch of necessary items second hand or during Black Friday. I do splurge too much on books for DD, but we're a family of nerds
  • Options
    @alparodi where do you store all of the books?  I have a book storage problem, likely stemming from a book buying problem.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge we had a gender reveal party with our first and it was adorably cheesy. It was a "tutus or bow ties" theme, and I made pins of little onesies that matched that, and we gave everyone confetti poppers that they popped on the count of 3 and then they all flipped out. It was so sweet. We did get I think 2 gifts but definitely didn't ask for them because I agree that's tacky! With DS I just posted a photo to Facebook of a tiny pumpkin painted blue. This time I'd like to do something cute with our family if I know by the time we go on our cruise at the end of the month. Maybe just Easter eggs wth pink or blue jelly beans, not sure. 

@alparodi DS has an insane amount of books. By his first Christmas he had 300... Yes I had a spreadsheet to keep track haha. He's since gotten more. It's an addiction. He loves them though! 
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had one that came up yesterday that I was specifically saving for today... but I didn't write it down so my pregnant brain ate it and won't give it back...
    I have a confession for tomorrow. Hoping I don't forget!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @elsieisamoocow that sounds really cute! I don't know if we'll do it with subsequent children but definitely with the first I'm going all out :)

@ArtificialRed I get from a political correctness sense why gender reveal isn't right but an unborn baby doesn't identify with any gender and won't for quite some time, and like you said it's not wrong for parents to assume their children will identify with the gender associated with their sexes. And yeah - no one wants a sex party for a baby haha. There are invitations for it but that's not my kind of humor. Little brother/sister party could definitely work for someone having a 2nd+ kid!

@MississippiCatfish girl, same. 

• Options
    We have more than a dozen bookshelves around the house of various sizes- some quite a bit taller than me. Some shelves have paperbacks 2 deep. I assume we have between 1000-2000 books, but I've never counted!

My guess is that DD has around 100 books, many hand-me-downs from cousins! We go "shopping" from the cousins when we visit (about 10 years age difference, so they don't mind giving up the books)

DD's closet is oddly deep, so we have 2 bookshelves in there plus a small shelf downstairs.

@elsieisamoocow Holy smokes! DD's first words were mama and dada, but her third was book, so yeah, she's very into her collection
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I love gender reveals. I really want to do one but we will actually know the gender when we tell our family we are expecting  (thank you cell free test). So I'm not sure how to accomplish it and we don't live near family.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Gender reveal topic: I didn't have one with DS or DD. Just boxed up a blue or pink paci and gave to search set of grandparents for them to open. Considering one this time, because it will be a "tie breaker" and I'm planning on the last babe! 

I had an UO, but I have since forgotten it. Darn it, what was I going to say?!?!?