Breastfeeding
Options

Nipple guard

My baby was having trouble latching so I was given a nipple guard by a LC.  Plan was to use to improve latch and then wean off but every time I try without my baby still won't latch.  Any advice to getting my baby to latch without the nipple guard? 

Re: Nipple guard

• Options
    Are you expressing milk first, and dabbing it on baby's lips? This may help to harden your nipple and also encourages baby with the taste.

I used a nipple shield for the first two months, but my baby's issue was biting really hard on my nipple. So this may not help to fix your issue, but to get off the shield, I followed the following steps as coached by the LC:

1. Relax and get comfortable.

2. Express milk out of the breast first, and dab some on baby's lips. Very important!

3. While cradling baby with one arm, use the other hand to take the nipple and gently touch baby's nose, upper & lower lips, and chin. Baby should open his/her mouth. Do it again until they open their mouth wide enough, and put the boob into their mouth. You may need to be quick with this step.

4. Lean back and relax. This will deepen the latch.

Hope this helps! Good luck and hang in there!

Ps. I think my baby also just needed to be a little older, with a bigger mouth and better motor skills, to get her off the shield.